The Council on Epidemiology and Prevention (EPI) and the Early Career Committee fosters the development of trainees and early career professionals in cardiovascular disease epidemiology, including research scientists and clinicians. We also promote and encourage trainees and early career individuals to participate in council activities. The committee is made up of early career members.
EPI Early Career Committee Membership
We encourage and accept applications from early career professionals.
Early Career Professionals are defined as Investigators, Clinicians, or Healthcare Providers who have completed training within the last four years and MDs or PhDs in the first four years after their first faculty appointment.
How to Apply
Please submit your application below and attach the following:
- Personal letter
- Letter of Recommendation
Please note that an active membership in the American Heart Association is required of all committee members.
Submission Period is April 1–April 15
EPI Early Career Committee
ChairpersonJoshua Joseph, MD
The Ohio State University COM
College Of Medicine
Chair ElectMadison LeCroy, PHD
NYU Grossman School of Medicine
New York, NY
Immediate Past ChairSadiya Khan, MD, MS
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Oak Park, IL
|William Aitken, MD
University of Miami
Biscayne Park, FL
|Duke Appiah, PhD
Texas Tech University HSC
|Natalie Cameron, MD
Instructor of Medicine
|Yamnia Cortes, PhD, RN, MSN
University of Iowa
Iowa City, IA
|Meredith Duncan, PhD
University of Kentucky
|Ben King, PhD, MPH
Clinical Assistant Professor
University of Houston, COM
|Mathias Lalika, MD, MD, MPH
|Oluwabunmi Ogungbe, MPH, PhD
Johns Hopkins University
|Robin Ortiz, MS
Assistant Professor of Pediatrics and Population Health
NYU Grossman School of Medicine
New York, NY
Harvard Medical School
|Victor Zhong, PhD
Shanghai Jiao Tong University
|Kelsey Stanley, BA, BA
American Heart Association
A critical component of early career development and training is mentorship. The following resources can help identify an appropriate mentor and evaluate the mentor-trainee relationship.
- Early Career Mentorship Resources
- Academic Mentoring - How to Give It and How to Get It
Detsky AS, Baerlocher MO. JAMA. 2007 May 16;297(19):2134-6. No abstract available. PMID: 17507350 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Choosing a Mentor: What goes into the Decision (PDF)
- Building Your Mentor Network (PDF)
- How to Develop an Effective Mentor and Mentee Relationship (PDF)
- Scientific Presentations: Abstracts, Oral sessions and Posters (PDF)
Mintu Turakhia, MD and Stephen Hulley, MD, MPH UCSF School of Medicine
Writing and Funding Presentations
- Applying for Funding as an Early Career (PDF)
- Early Career Sessions: 10 Ways to Improve Your Scientific Writing (PDF)
- K99/R00 Grants: Insights into the Review Process and What Reviewers Look For (PDF)
J. Gary Meszaros
- Choosing a Target Journal (PDF)
Job Search Presentations
- You've Been Contacted for an Interview (PDF)
- The Job Application Process: Tips for Finding and Applying for Job Openings (PDF)
- Experiences from the Trenches of Hard Money (PDF)
- Clinical and Scientific Opportunities in the VA System (PDF) Mintu Turakhia
- What You Should Know on the 1st Day (PDF)
- Fellow to Faculty Transitions (PDF)
- Epidemiology and Observational Studies (PDF)
- Why Clinical Medicine and Research? (PDF)
- Update on the Pediatric Heart Network and How to Get Involved (PDF)
Kristin M. Burns
American Heart Association Grants
Student and Predoctoral Fellowship Opportunities
- Predoctoral Fellowship
Helps students initiate careers in cardiovascular and stroke research by providing research assistance and training.
Offered by: Founders, Greater Southeast, Midwest, SouthWest, and Western States Affiliates
Career Stage: Gaining credentials – doctoral student
National Institutes of Health (NIH) Grants
NIH: Post-Doctoral Research Training
CVD Epidemiology Research Training
- About the NRSA Programs; T32 vs. F32, etc.
Programs are available at the following institutions:
- Brigham and Women's Hospital
- Case Western Reserve University
- Johns Hopkins University
- North Carolina State University
- Northwestern University
- University of Alabama at Birmingham
- University of California San Diego
- University of Minnesota
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- University of Rochester
- University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Wake Forest University School of Medicine
NIH: Career Development Awards for Physicians
- For individuals with a health-professional doctorate
- Career Award Wizard: Helps you select the right career award
- K23: Mentored Patient-Oriented Research Career Development Award.
Development of the independent research scientist in the clinical arena. 3-5 yrs, 75 percent commitment.
- K08: Mentored Clinical Scientist Research Career Development Award.
Development of the independent clinical research scientist. 3-5 yrs; 75 percent effort.
NIH: Career Development Awards for Research Doctorates: NIH
Top experts from around the world come to discuss and debate the latest cardiovascular and clinical information.
Epidemiology and Prevention | Lifestyle and Cardiometabolic Health Scientific Sessions
March 18–21, 2024
Hilton Chicago | Chicago, Illinois
Council Awards and Lectures
The AHA scientific council awards acknowledge significant achievements in cardiovascular diseases and stroke, ranging from basic research to service to the councils and the association. These awards recognize the achievements of researchers, scientists, clinicians, nurses and allied health professionals throughout their careers. They also provide opportunities for financial rewards, special presentations and funding to attend Scientific Sessions and other AHA scientific meetings.
Epidemiology and Prevention Specific Awards
The Council on Epidemiology and Prevention (EPI) proudly sponsors numerous awards, lectures and travel grants to AHA meetings, as well as a medical student scholarship. These programs honor researchers, early career investigators and medical students for their outstanding contributions and research of heart disease.
- Awards presented at the EPI|Lifestyle Scientific Sessions
- Lecture and Awards presented at Scientific Sessions
- Medical Student Scholarship
Visit the EPI Awards and Lectures page for a full list of available awards and lectures.