To qualify for Hypertension Scientific Sessions awards, you must meet these deadlines. Please carefully check the eligibility and application requirements for each award.
- June 25, 2021, 6 p.m. CDT – Applications must be started and saved as a draft (Name and Email) in the Council Awards System to be eligible for the July 2, 2021 deadline extension in the Council Awards Application system.
- June 28, 2021, 6 p.m. CDT – Deadline to submit your science to Hypertension Scientific Sessions 2021.
- June 30, 2021 – Deadline to have an active AHA membership with this Council.
- July 2, 2021 – Extended deadline to apply for this award.
This program recognizes a mid-career investigator active in hypertension or cardiovascular research. Candidates include PhDs and/or MDs who are still within 5-20 years after their first faculty appointment, as of the award application date.
A winner, selected by the Council on Hypertension Awards Committee, will be chosen to present a lecture at the Hypertension Scientific Sessions.
- 2020 Adam C. Straub, PhD
- 2019 Daniela Carnevale, PhD, FAHA
- 2018 Jennifer C. Sullivan, PhD, FAHA
- 2017 Alexander Staruschenko, PhD, FAHA
- 2016 Alejandro Chade MD, FAHA
- 2015 Kamal Rahmouni, PhD, FAHA
- 2014 Iris Z. Jaffe, BA, MD, PhD
- 2013 Jens Titze, MD
- All applicants must be members of the AHA at any level by the time of application submission. If you need to become an AHA Professional Member, you should do so before submitting your abstract and award application materials. Join or renew today.
- Candidates include PhDs and/or MDs who are still within 5-20 years after their first faculty appointment, as of the award application date.
- The Awards Committee will assess the candidates’ backgrounds, accomplishments and overall contributions to the field of hypertension.
How to Apply/Required Documents
Applications will be judged on the following criteria submitted through the Council Awards System.
- AHA membership at any level is required by the candidate by the time the award materials are submitted. A username and password set up through online registration at Professional Heart Daily will be necessary to access the Application System. If you have not created an online profile yet, you may register as you enter the Application System by clicking "Sign Up" next to the Log In button on the sign-in page. AHA Professional Members who are creating an online profile for the first time should make sure to register using their AHA membership identification numbers.
- A full Curriculum Vitae, including all publications (abstracts not necessary).
- A letter of nomination and one additional letter of support from a Council on Hypertension member detailing overall contributions of the applicant to hypertension and cardiovascular disease.
- Past recipients of the Council on Hypertension Excellence in Hypertension Research Award (including previous names), are ineligible.
- Members of the Council on Hypertension Awards Committee cannot write any letters of support.
- Candidate biography (250 words or less), which may be used for publicity.
- A candidate may be nominated an unlimited number of times by different individuals in the same year.
The award will be presented at the Hypertension Scientific Sessions meeting. The awardee will receive complimentary registration, a $1,000 honorarium, and an engraved plaque.
Honorees presenting in-person at Hypertension Scientific Sessions will be honored at the Annual Council on Hypertension Awards Banquet and will be eligible for certain travel reimbursements:
- Up to $1,200 travel reimbursement to AHA’s Hypertension Scientific Sessions