Use of Marijuana: Effect on Brain Health
Published: February 10, 2022
- Marijuana is considered a harmless drug. Recreational use is popular with younger individuals and the consumption of cannabis in the general population in the U.S. is rising.
- Basic and clinical studies examining the risk of stroke raise concerns about its potential long-term effects on cognitive function.
- This scientific statement reviews the safety of cannabis use from the perspective of brain health and discusses the mechanics of cannabis induced cognitive dysfunction. It also advocates for a more informed healthcare worker regarding the potential harmful effect to the brain.
- Commentary: This is Your Brain on Drugs: A Call for Caution on Cannabis Use and Brain Health by Robert L. Page II, PharmD, MSPH, FAHA, Farzaneh A. Sorond, MD, PhD, and Larry A. Allen, MD, MHS, FAHA
- Top Things to Know: Use of Marijuana - Effect on Brain Health
- Slide Set (PDF)