Statin Safety and Associated Adverse Events
Published: December 10, 2018
- Statins have a major impact in reducing the incidence of cardiovascular diseases (CVD), including stroke and over 30 years of clinical investigation show that statins exhibit few serious adverse effects.
- However, in the US, roughly 10% of patients stop taking a statin because of subjective complaints.
- This scientific statement examines statin safety and tolerability, and reviews adverse effects of statins, adverse events associated with but not necessarily caused by statins, and drug interactions.
- Commentary: AHA’s Statement on the Safety Profile of Statins: Big Benefit with Low Risk by Francoise A. Marvel, MD and Roger S. Blumenthal, MD
- Top Things to Know: Statin Safety & Associated Adverse Events
- AHA News: Safety of statins emphasized in new report
- News Release: Statins have low risk of side effects
- 2018 Guideline on the Management of Blood Cholesterol
- Recommendations for Management of Clinically Significant Drug-Drug Interactions With Statins and Select Agents Used in Patients With CVD
- Drug Therapy of High-Risk Lipid Abnormalities in Children and Adolescents
- The Agenda for Familial Hypercholesterolemia