Interventional Therapies for Acute Pulmonary Embolism
Published: October 04, 2019
- Pulmonary embolism (PE) represents the third leading cause of cardiovascular mortality in the U.S.
- Treatment options for PE with hemodynamic instability (high-risk PE) include systemic thrombolysis, surgical embolectomy, interventional PE therapy, and/or mechanical circulatory support.
- Data to support use of interventional devices for intermediate risk PE should come from randomized trials that evaluate traditional clinical outcomes and/or patient-centric, functional/quality of life (QOL) measures.
- Commentary: Pulmonary Embolism Management – The New Frontier for Interventional Therapies? by Sanjum S. Sethi, MD, MPH, and Sahil A. Parikh, MD
- Top Things to Know: Interventional Therapies for Acute Pulmonary Embolism