Epidemiology of Diabetes and Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease Among Asian American Adults
Published: May 08, 2023
- Asian Americans (AsA) are the fastest growing racial and ethnic group in the US. Despite the substantial variability that exists in type 2 diabetes (T2D) and atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease (ASCVD) risk among the different subgroups of AsA, the current literature often fails to examine these subgroups individually.
- This scientific statement summarizes the latest disaggregated data, where available, on AsA demographics, prevalence, biological mechanism, genetics, health behaviors, acculturation and lifestyle interventions, pharmacological therapy, and complementary alternative interventions, and their impact on T2D and ASCVD.
- Additionally, this statement examines acculturation in the context of culturally appropriate strategies in the prevention and management among this diverse ethnic group. It also focuses on future research directions and clinical strategies that can help reduce T2D and ASCVD among AsA adults.
- Commentary: The epidemic of diabetes and atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease in Asian Americans- Our voices must be heard! by Eugene Yang, MD, MS, FACC
- Top Things to Know: Epidemiology of Diabetes and Atherosclerotic CV Disease Among Asian American Adults – Implications, Management, and Future Directions