Care of the Patient With Acute Ischemic Stroke: Update to the 2009 Comprehensive Nursing Care Scientific Statement
Prehospital and Acute Phase of Care, Endovascular/Intensive Care Unit-Postinterventional Therapy, and Posthyperacute and Prehospital Discharge
Published: March 11, 2021
- The AHA has updated the 2009 Comprehensive Overview of Nursing and Interdisciplinary Care of the Acute Ischemic Stroke patient, a seminal paper for nursing care of stroke patients. This Top Things to Know incorporates content from all three scientific statements. Read all three papers for full content.
- These updates are a part of a 3-part series focusing on emergency medical services/emergency care, endovascular/intensive care unit care, and post-acute care.
- Nurses are the key drivers of stroke care throughout all phases of hospitalization in the acute phase of stroke.
Read the full articles in Stroke:
- Commentary: Acute Nursing Management of Ischemic Stroke: Content for Nurses, by Nurses and Highlighting the Role of Nurses in Acute Stroke Management by Sarah L. Livesay, DNP, APRN, FNCS, FAAN
- Commentary: The Importance of Post-procedural Comprehensive Nursing Monitoring for Acute Ischemic Stroke Patients Post Endovascular Therapy by Mary King Brethour, PhD, ACNP-BC, RN, FAHA
- Commentary: Advancing Comprehensive Stroke Nursing Care in the 21st Century by Barbara J. Lutz, PhD, RN, CRRN, PHNA-BC, FAHA, FAAN
- Top Ten Things to Know: Care of the Patient With Acute Ischemic Stroke
- News Release: Updated guidance confirms crucial role of nurses for patients with acute ischemic stroke
- Advances in Stroke: Nursing Scientific Statements Advancing Stroke Care
- Guidelines for the Early Management of Patients With Acute Ischemic Stroke: 2019 Update to the 2018 Guidelines for the Early Management of Acute Ischemic Stroke
- Recommendations for the Establishment of Stroke Systems of Care: A 2019 Update
- 2009 Comprehensive Overview of Nursing and Interdisciplinary Care of the Acute Ischemic Stroke Patient
- Call to Action: Rural Health: A Presidential Advisory From the American Heart Association and American Stroke Association
- Clinical Performance Measures for Adults Hospitalized With Intracerebral Hemorrhage
- Self‐Care for the Prevention and Management of Cardiovascular Disease and Stroke
- Heart Disease and Stroke Statistics—2021 Update