To support and assist the committee chairs by reviewing training/career development and project support applications.
- Members are appointed to staggered terms of no more than four consecutive years.
- After completion of four consecutive years of total service, the member must complete a one year hiatus before returning to a peer review committee.
- Laptop with internet access (wireless for face-to-face meetings)
- Landline phone connection is recommended for teleconference meetings.
- Time commitment includes application review, critique preparation, meeting activities and post meeting critique edits. Each program-based peer review committee meets once per year, and may include Letter of Intent activities.
- If the review group is set to meet face-to-face, 1 to 3 days may be required for meeting and travel time. For a teleconference meeting, partners are expected to attend for the entire meeting time-frame on the scheduled meeting date.
- Reviewer workload should not exceed 10 application assignments.
- Register or update profile in ProposalCentral.
- Respond in the requested time frame for preferences.
- Validate any Conflicts of Interest (personal, professional, institutional).
- Evaluate merit of assigned applications relative to the peer review criteria. Prepared critique should be fair, objective, scholarly, and offer positive constructive criticism to the applicant.
- Minimum Assistant Professor career level or equivalent.
- Nationally recognized competence in one or more fields of biomedical research.
- Current or recent independent peer reviewed funding typically at the national level; or equivalent research funding for reviewers employed in industry or government.
- Consistent record of peer reviewed publications within the past five years.
- Knowledge of the AHA and commitment to its mission.
- Mature judgment and objectivity.
- Ability to work effectively in a group.
- AHA Professional Membership is encouraged.
Method of Appointment
- Peer Reviewers may be nominated by the study group chairperson, study group partners, Research Committee partners and self-nominations through Grants@Heart.
- Prior to appointment, the candidate’s credentials must be reviewed by AHA staff.