To be a relentless force for a world of longer, healthier lives.
The 2030 Impact Goals
Across the US: Together, we will equitably increase healthy life expectancy from 66 to at least 68 years by 2030.
Around the world: Together with global and local collaborators, we will equitably increase worldwide healthy life expectancy from 64 to at least 67 years by 2030.
Twelve Research Essential Elements
The AHA Research Program is guided by 12 Essential Elements developed by a broad group of key stakeholders including science volunteers and approved by the AHA Board of Directors.
- Develop innovative research models that integrate AHA research values and fund highly meritorious or “best” research.
- Fund both investigator initiated and strategically-focused research, including implementation research.
- Support all areas of cardiovascular, cerebrovascular and brain health research, with a focus on overall health and well-being across the lifespan that drives to AHA’s 2030 goals and overall mission.
- Identify key questions that if answered could provide extraordinary impact in science and toward mission.
- Ensure a focus on diverse populations in both the makeup of the investigators we support, and the participant populations of AHA-funded research.
- Provide programs which in addition to supporting pursuit of the research in question, also facilitate expansion of investigator skills.
- Focus on funding outstanding individuals, not just projects.
- Clearly define and report research and translationally-oriented outcomes to all stakeholders.
- Ensure that best practices are used for all governance and operational practice.
- Ensure that all stakeholders – researchers, donors and other volunteers – are involved as appropriate in research activities.
- Fund research that could provide a return on investment to be funneled back to fund additional future research.
- Expand collaboration to leverage research dollars and outcomes.