Award Application Window: April 15–August 16, 2020 at 6 p.m. (Central Time)
The Council on Cardiovascular and Stroke Nursing (CVSN) Early Career Research Travel Grants encourage and support the efforts of early career investigators and encourage young investigators and under-represented minorities to participate in Council and AHA activities. These grants provide travel funding to the AHA’s Scientific Sessions for early career investigators whose abstracts have been selected for presentation.
- Applicant must be working in any area of research concerned with aspects of cardiovascular disease prevention or intervention.
- Applicants must be undergraduate, masters, or doctoral (PhD or equivalent research doctorate) students; post-doctoral fellows; or doctorally-degreed early career investigators no more than four years out of training or within four years of their first faculty appointment, as of the award application date.
- All applicants for travel grants must be partners of the AHA/ASA at any level. If you need to become an AHA/ASA Professional Partner, you should do so no later than Aug. 2 due to the time needed to process the membership number required on your award application form. Learn more about AHA membership.
- Abstract must be submitted to the AHA Scientific Sessions in one of the CVSN Council’s primary abstract categories in accordance with the AHA's rules and regulations for submitting abstracts. If your abstract is not accepted in a CVSN-sponsored category, you are not eligible to apply for this specific grant. View a list of Scientific Sessions Council Awards and Travel Grants Available by Abstract Category and Community (PDF).
- Abstract must be accepted for oral or poster presentation at the AHA Scientific Sessions and the applicant must be the first and presenting author.
- Applicants may apply for a travel grant multiple times with different abstracts as long as the applicant is the presenting author on each abstract. However, an applicant is eligible to receive only one travel grant, even if multiple abstracts are accepted to Scientific Sessions.
- Each applicant for AHA council-sponsored awards, regardless of award category, is eligible to receive only one council-sponsored grant per AHA meeting per year. (For example, an Early Career Investigator Award finalist will not be eligible to receive a travel grant for the same conference, and vice-versa.)
- Winners are not eligible to re-enter the competition in subsequent years.
- Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Applications will be judged based on the scientific ranking of the candidate’s abstract that has been accepted to Scientific Sessions in an oral or poster session. Up to five of the highest-scoring abstracts among those who have applied for the travel grant will win a grant.
Scientific Sessions abstract acceptance notifications will be sent by the AHA in mid-August, so applicants might opt to apply for this grant after receiving a presenter notification as abstract acceptance is mandatory to be considered for a travel grant.
How to Apply/Required Documents
Electronic submission through the Council Awards Application System is required. Hard copies of any part of the application cannot be accepted.
**Candidates may apply for more than one travel award; however, an applicant is eligible to receive only one travel stipend.
Your application file should contain the following documents in PDF format:
- Previously unpublished abstract in accordance with AHA rules and regulations for submitting abstracts to Scientific Sessions. The abstract should be submitted to Scientific Sessions before applying for this award; your abstract control number will be needed for the award application form.
- Original letter on electronic letterhead, signed by the candidate’s supervisor or an appropriate institutional officer, simply indicating the applicant’s status as a student, postdoctoral fellow, or early career investigator within four years of the first faculty appointment meets the eligibility criteria. No additional references are required.
Visit the Council Awards & Fellowships Application System to complete an application.
A username and password previously set up through online profile registration at Professional Heart Daily will be necessary to access the Application System. If you have not created an online profile yet, please visit Professional Heart Daily to create an online partner profile before accessing the Council Awards Application System. AHA Professional Partners who are creating an online profile for the first time should make sure to register using their AHA membership identification numbers.
AHA Professional Membership is required of all applicants for this award. If you are joining the AHA to apply, please wait on your AHA membership number to arrive from AHA Partner Services via e-mail before creating an online profile and starting your application file. We suggest that new partners join the AHA no later than Aug. 2 for the membership number to be processed and delivered in time for the application deadline.
American Heart Association Professional Partners @Model.Item.RenderHeadingSizeTag("h2")>
Renew or join as a professional partner today to make a difference.
Scientific Sessions 2020 @Model.Item.RenderHeadingSizeTag("h2")>
Nov. 13-17, 2020
Join us for a Virtual Experience
Want to get involved? @Model.Item.RenderHeadingSizeTag("h2")>
The American Heart Association depends on the time and talent of volunteers to help us create a healthier world, free of heart disease and stroke.