Council on Cardiovascular and Stroke Nursing Early Career Research Travel Grants
Sponsored by the Council on Cardiovascular and Stroke Nursing (CVSN)
To qualify for this Scientific Sessions 2023 award, you must meet the following deadlines:
- June 7, 2023 – Deadline to have an active AHA membership with this Council.
- August 24, 2022, 6 p.m. CDT – Deadline to apply for this award in the Council Awards System.
For awards requiring abstract submission, the deadline to submit your science to Scientific Sessions 2022 is June 8, 2023, 6 p.m. CDT.
The Council on Cardiovascular and Stroke Nursing (CVSN) Early Career Research Travel Grants encourage and support the efforts of early career investigators and encourage young investigators and under-represented minorities to participate in Council and AHA activities. These grants provide travel funding to the AHA’s Scientific Sessions for early career investigators whose abstracts have been selected for presentation.
- Applicant must be working in any area of research concerned with aspects of cardiovascular disease prevention or intervention.
- Applicant must be active in research and still be in training as an undergraduate or pre-doctoral student, or be active in research and within 10 years of completing medical fellowship (or residency as NIH states, MDs would be Fellows for 3-6 years of the 7-10), terminal degree or highest certificate (e.g., MSc, PhD), as of the award application date.
- All applicants for travel grants must be members of the AHA/ASA at any level. If you need to become an AHA Professional Member, you should do so no later than one week prior to the award submission deadline. Learn more about AHA Professional Membership.
- Abstract must be submitted to the AHA Scientific Sessions in one of the CVSN Council’s primary abstract categories in accordance with the AHA's rules and regulations for submitting abstracts. If your abstract is not accepted in a CVSN-sponsored category, you are not eligible to apply for this specific grant. View a list of Council Awards and Travel Grants Available by Abstract Category and Community (PDF).
- Abstract must be accepted for oral or poster presentation at the AHA Scientific Sessions and the applicant must be the first and presenting author.
- Applicants may apply for a travel grant multiple times with different abstracts as long as the applicant is the presenting author on each abstract. However, an applicant is eligible to receive only one travel grant, even if multiple abstracts are accepted to Scientific Sessions.
- Each applicant for AHA council-sponsored awards, regardless of award category, is eligible to receive only one council-sponsored grant per AHA meeting per year. (For example, an Early Career Investigator Award finalist will not be eligible to receive a travel grant for the same conference, and vice-versa.)
- Winners are not eligible to re-enter the competition in subsequent years.
- Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Applications will be judged based on the scientific ranking of the candidate’s abstract that has been accepted to Scientific Sessions in an oral or poster session. Up to five of the highest-scoring abstracts among those who have applied for the travel grant will win a grant.
Scientific Sessions abstract acceptance notifications will be sent by the AHA in mid-August, so applicants might opt to apply for this grant after receiving a presenter notification, as abstract acceptance is mandatory to be considered for a travel grant.
How to Apply/Required Documents
Electronic submission through the Council Awards Application System is required. Hard copies of any part of the application cannot be accepted.
**Candidates may apply for more than one travel award; however, an applicant is eligible to receive only one travel stipend.
Your application file should contain the following documents in PDF format:
- Previously unpublished abstract in accordance with AHA rules and regulations for submitting abstracts to Scientific Sessions. The abstract should be submitted to Scientific Sessions before applying for this award; your abstract control number will be needed for the award application form.
- Original letter on electronic letterhead, signed by the candidate’s supervisor or an appropriate institutional officer, simply indicating the applicant’s status as a student, postdoctoral fellow, or early career investigator within four years of the first faculty appointment meets the eligibility criteria. No additional references are required.
Visit the Council Awards & Fellowships Application System to complete an application.
A username and password previously set up through online profile registration at Professional Heart Daily will be necessary to access the Application System. If you have not created an online profile yet, please visit Professional Heart Daily to create an online member profile before accessing the Council Awards Application System. AHA Professional Members who are creating an online profile for the first time should make sure to register using their AHA membership identification numbers.
AHA Professional Membership is required of all applicants for this award. If you are joining the AHA to apply, please wait for your AHA membership number to arrive from AHA Member Services via e-mail before creating an online profile and starting your application file. We suggest that new members join the AHA no later than one week prior to application submission deadline.
Up to Six awards from the pool of eligible applicants will be presented annually.
Winners will each receive a travel grant up to $660 for use in attending Scientific Sessions to present their research. Eligible reimbursable expenses include hotel, ground transportation, and airfare to attend Scientific Sessions. Conference registration and meals are not covered.
- For rules and regulations for submitting abstracts to the Scientific Sessions, visit 2022 Abstract Submission Guidelines (PDF)
- Join or renew as an AHA Professional Member
- Submit your application at Council Awards Application System
- Instructions for ProposalCentral, the new Council Awards platform
- Council Awards: [email protected]
- Member Services: [email protected]
- Password/Login: [email protected]
- Abstract Submission: [email protected]
AHA Professional Members are Difference Makers
Want to get involved?
The American Heart Association depends on the time and talent of volunteers to help us create a healthier world, free of heart disease and stroke.