To qualify for this Scientific Sessions 2022 award you must meet the following deadlines:
- June 9, 2022 – Deadline to have an active AHA membership with the sponsoring Council.
- June 15, 2022, 6 p.m. Central Time – Deadline to apply for Scientific Sessions 2022 awards in the Council Awards System.
For awards requiring abstract submission, the deadline to submit your science to Scientific Sessions 2022 is June 13, 2022, 6 p.m. Central Time.
The American Heart Association’s Council on Lifelong Congenital Heart Disease and Heart Health in the Young (Young Hearts) is proud to sponsor the Young Hearts Visiting Professor for Career Development Award. This sponsorship will facilitate in-depth, educationally focused visits by prominent experts in pediatric cardiology and cardiovascular medicine. The visiting professorship encourages mentorship and academic development of pediatric cardiology fellows and faculty who are early in their academic careers at the host institution.
- 2021 Not Awarded
- 2020 Stuart Berger, MD
- 2018 Elizabeth D. Blume, MD
Who Should Apply
Pediatric cardiology programs in the United States with or without pediatric cardiology fellowships are eligible to apply. General pediatric programs without divisions of pediatric cardiology are also welcome to apply. The chief of the pediatric cardiology division or pediatric department should serve as the “host” of the visiting professor and the visit. The divisions of pediatric cardiology that apply should be those divisions/ departments that do not typically have the opportunity to bring in prominent experts in the field of pediatric cardiovascular medicine to their institution. The host may choose a visiting professor from the United States or abroad. The visiting professor should be a regionally, nationally or internationally noted figure.
- A visiting professor should only receive one honorarium a year.
- An institution may not have a visiting professor in two consecutive years.
One award is available per year. The award provides an honorarium of $1,000 to the Visiting Professor and up to $1,500 for travel and other expenses. The duration of the program should be two days. Academic development is an essential component of the visit and the major focus of this award.
How to Apply
Please visit the Council Awards System to submit the applications.
The application must include:
- The host’s and the visiting professor’s curriculum vitae.
- A letter signed by the proposed visiting professor affirming acceptance of the “invitation”.
- Two- to four-page statement (not more than 1000 words) by the host institution addressing the following points:
- The specific needs, aims and goals of the division or department in having this visiting professor speak.
- How does this visiting professor advance the aims of the division/department?
- Proposed agenda of the two-day visit.
- Specify the people at the host institution that will be exposed to the visiting professor. Please include approximate number of fellows, junior faculty, senior level faculty, medical students, and residents who will individually meet the visiting professor and others involved in the visit.
Please visit the Council Awards Application System to complete an application.
A username and password previously set up through online profile registration at Professional Heart Daily will be necessary to access the Application System. If you have not created an online profile yet, please visit Professional Heart Daily to create an online member profile before accessing the Council Awards Application System. AHA Professional Members who are creating an online profile for the first time should make sure to register using their AHA member identification numbers.
- Nationally Competitive
- Awards announced at the Annual Young Hearts Council Dinner at AHA Scientific Sessions