Award Application Window: April 15–August 16, 2020 at 6 p.m. (Central Time)
The Women in Cardiology Mentoring Award recognizes individuals who have an outstanding record of effectively mentoring women cardiologists and underscores the importance of mentoring in the professional development of women. The honoree will be acknowledged at the annual Council Dinner at Scientific Sessions in November.
- 2020 Gretchen L. Wells, MD, PhD
- 2019 Sharon C. Reimold, MD, MS
- 2018 Stacey Rosen, MD, FAHA
- 2017 Sharonne Hayes, MD, FAHA
- 2016 Michelle Albert, MD, MPH, FAHA
- 2015 James DeLemos, MD
- 2014 Martha Gulati, MD, MS, FACC, FAHA
- 2013 Malissa Wood, BA, MD
- 2012 Emelia Benjamin, MD
- 2011 Laura Wexler, MD
- 2010 Award not presented
- 2009 Noel Bairey Merz, MD
- 2008 Elyse Foster, MD
- 2008 Judith Hochman, MD
- 2007 Linda Gillam, MD
- 2006 Morton Arnsdorf, MD
- 2005 Brenda Armstrong, MD
- 2005 Robert Bonow, MD
- 2004 Carl Apstein, MD
- 2003 Sanjiv Kaul, MD
- 2003 Roberta Williams, MD
- 2002 Kiran B. Sagar, MD
- 2001 Kathryn A. Taubert, PhD
- 2000 Michael H. Crawford, MD
- 1999 Nanette K. Wenger, MD
Men and women are eligible for nomination. Each nominee will be considered based on his or her history of mentoring women cardiologists as well as his or her overall record towards the professional development of women in cardiology. An active Professional Member account with the American Heart Association by the nominee is strongly encouraged but not mandatory for nomination.
How to Make a Nomination
Electronic submission through the Council Awards Application System is required. Hard copies of any part of the application cannot be accepted.
The nomination file (filled out on the nominee’s behalf) should contain the following documents in PDF format:
- A letter of nomination specifically addressing the candidate’s contributions in effectively mentoring women cardiologists. Provision of the names of individuals mentored by the nominee is encouraged.
- Nominee’s curriculum vitae
Visit the Council Awards & Fellowships Application System to complete a nomination.
A username and password previously set up through online profile registration at Professional Heart Daily will be necessary to access the Application System. If you have not created an online profile yet, please visit Professional Heart Daily to create an online member profile before accessing the Council Awards Application System. AHA Professional Members who are creating an online profile for the first time should make sure to register using their AHA member identification numbers.
The award will be presented at the annual Clinical Cardiology Council Dinner at the AHA Scientific Sessions in November. The winner will receive:
- Complimentary registration to Scientific Sessions
- Hotel accommodations for one night
- Engraved plaque
- Complimentary council dinner ticket and presentation of a plaque at the annual council dinner