Award Application Window: April 15–June 19, 2020 at 8 p.m. (Central Time)
The Council on Cardiovascular Surgery and Anesthesia (CVSA) annually honors one of its members who has actively guided junior researchers to build future generations of cardiovascular scientists and surgeons. This award recognizes a senior scientist who has a record of providing exceptional support for scientists in cardiothoracic and vascular surgery, anesthesiology and other related fields individually and globally through mentoring and advocacy.
The honoree will be recognized at the CVSA Council Dinner at Scientific Sessions in November.
|2019 Joseph Woo, MD, FAHA||2012 Robert Guyton, MD||2006 Shukri Khuri, MD|
|2017 Frank Sellke, MD, FAHA||2011 L. Henry Edmunds, Jr., MD||2005 Timothy Gardner, MD|
|2015 Nancy Nussmeier, MD, FAHA||2010 Hartzell V. Schaff, MD||2004 Sidney Levitsky, MD|
|2014 Lawrence H. Cohn, MD||2008 William A. Baumgartner, MD||2003 Robert Thompson, MD|
|2013 Pedro Del Nido, MD||2007 William Pearce, MD||2002 Richard D. Weisel, MD|
Council members are encouraged to nominate a candidate based on the following criteria:
- Candidate must be a member of the Council on Cardiovascular Surgery and Anesthesia. If the candidate needs to become an AHA Professional Member, he or she must do so ASAP for the membership to be processed in time for the nomination submission deadline. (The candidate's membership number is required on the nomination form.)
- Candidate must be a senior scientist (full faculty status of five years or more) in one or more of the fields represented by the council.
- Candidate must be working actively to build the careers of scientists in training under his or her supervision.
- Candidate must be nationally known in the fields represented by the council.
- Candidate must have participated in activities that support the work and education of junior investigators in the science field.
- Candidate must have made significant contributions to the role of junior investigators in the field.
How to Make a Nomination
Electronic submission through the Council Awards Application System is mandatory for all awards. Hard copies of any part of the application cannot be accepted.
The nomination file (filled out on the nominee’s behalf) should contain the following documents in PDF format:
- Letter of support outlining how the candidate meets the eligibility criteria and stating the impact the candidate has had on mentoring junior investigators, plus any additional qualifications that should be considered
- Curriculum vitae detailing all of the candidate’s activities and accomplishments
Visit the Council Awards & Fellowships Application System to submit a nomination.
A username and password previously set up through online profile registration at Professional Heart Daily will be necessary to access the Application System. If you have not created an online profile yet, please visit Professional Heart Daily to create an online member profile before accessing the Council Awards Application System. AHA Professional Members who are creating an online profile for the first time should make sure to register using their AHA membership identification numbers.
The honoree will receive the following:
- Complimentary registration to the AHA's Scientific Sessions
- Complimentary ticket to the CVSA Council Dinner at Scientific Sessions, at which time he or she will be acknowledged and presented with an engraved plaque.
American Heart Association Professional Membership @Model.Item.RenderHeadingSizeTag("h2")>
Renew or join as a Professional Member today to make a difference.
Scientific Sessions 2020 @Model.Item.RenderHeadingSizeTag("h2")>
Nov. 13-17, 2020
Join us for a Virtual Experience
Want to get involved? @Model.Item.RenderHeadingSizeTag("h2")>
The American Heart Association depends on the time and talent of volunteers to help us create a healthier world, free of heart disease and stroke.