Award applications for Scientific Sessions are now closed and will reopen in April 2022. Please visit Council Awards for opportunities to apply for active awards. Awards applicants must be AHA Professional Members and must be affiliated with the AHA sponsoring scientific council at the time of application.
The Stroke Article of the Year Award recognizes the scientific and clinical contributions of cerebrovascular nurses in promoting the American Heart Association's goals. It also recognizes scientific excellence in cerebrovascular nursing science and encourages investigation that will further knowledge and skills in this area.
- 2020 Michelle Camicia
- 2019 Eeeseung Byun
- 2018 Barbara J. Lutz
- 2017 Gianluca Pucciarelli
- Candidate must be a member of the Council on Cardiovascular and Stroke Nursing (CVSN) at the time the application is submitted. If the candidate needs to become an AHA Professional Member, he or she must do so ASAP for the membership to be processed in time for the application submission deadline. (The candidate's membership number is required on the application form.)
- Candidate will submit an article on stroke that he or she has authored and that has been published in a refereed journal within the last two years
- The article must be of scientific merit; have a sound research design if applicable; be significant, timely and original; have the potential to contribute to cerebrovascular knowledge and research; be well written, and include a review of the literature and application of research (if applicable)
- The article must relate to the mission of the AHA and ASA.
- Candidate must be a registered nurse (RN) with an interest in cerebrovascular nursing and the first author of the article submitted
How to Apply/Required Documents
Electronic submission through the Council Awards Application System is required. Hard copies of any part of the application cannot be accepted.
The application file should contain the following documents in PDF format:
- Cover letter of application
- Published article reprint for consideration
- Curriculum vitae, including bibliography
Visit the Council Awards Application System to submit a nomination.
A username and password previously set up through online profile registration at Professional Heart Daily will be necessary to access the Application System. If you have not created an online profile yet, please visit Professional Heart Daily to create an online member profile before accessing the Council Awards Application System. AHA Professional Members who are creating an online profile for the first time should make sure to register using their AHA member identification numbers.
The honoree will receive the following:
- Engraved plaque and complimentary ticket to the CVSN Council Dinner at Scientific Sessions, where the plaque will be presented
- $500 honorarium
- Complimentary registration to the AHA Scientific Sessions
- Complimentary registration to the Stroke Nursing Symposium
The winner must agree to be present at the annual CVSN Council Dinner at Scientific Sessions to claim the award. The winner will also be invited to speak at the AHA's State of the Art Stroke Nursing Symposium held prior to the International Stroke Conference.