Award Application Window: April 15–August 16, 2020 at 6 p.m. (Central Time)
The Stroke Article of the Year Award recognizes the scientific and clinical contributions of cerebrovascular nurses in promoting the American Heart Association's goals. It also recognizes scientific excellence in cerebrovascular nursing science and encourages investigation that will further knowledge and skills in this area.
- 2020 Michelle Camicia, PhD, MSN, CRRN, CCM, NEA-BC, FARN, FAHA
- Candidate must be a member of the AHA Council on Cardiovascular and Stroke Nursing at the time the application is submitted. Those needing to join the AHA should do so ASAP for the member account to be processed in time for the Application System to permit submission by the application deadline. Learn more about AHA Professional Membership.
- Candidate will submit an article on stroke that he or she has authored and that has been published in a referenced journal within the last two years. For 2020 submissions only, “Articles in Press” will be accepted.
- The article must be of scientific merit; have a sound research design if applicable; be significant, timely and original; have the potential to contribute to cerebrovascular knowledge and research; be well written, and include a review of the literature and application of research (if applicable)
- The article must relate to the mission of the AHA and ASA.
- Candidate must be a registered nurse (RN) with an interest in cerebrovascular nursing and the first author of the article submitted
How To Apply/Required Documents
Electronic submission through the Council Awards Application System is required. Hard copies of any part of the application cannot be accepted.
The application file should contain the following documents in PDF format:
- Cover letter of application
- Published article reprint for consideration or, if not available, “Articles in Press”
- Curriculum vitae, including bibliography
Visit the Council Awards Application System to complete an application.
A username and password previously set up through online profile registration at Professional Heart Daily will be necessary to access the Application System. If you have not created an online profile yet, please visit Professional Heart Daily to create an online member profile before accessing the Council Awards Application System. AHA Professional Members who are creating an online profile for the first time should make sure to register using their AHA member identification numbers.
An active AHA Professional member account is required of all applicants for this award. If you are joining the AHA to apply, please wait on your AHA member number to arrive from AHA Member Services via e-mail before creating an online profile and starting your application file. We suggest that new members join the AHA as soon as possible for the member number to be processed and delivered in time for the application deadline.
- Engraved plaque and complimentary ticket to the CVSN Council Dinner at Scientific Sessions, where the plaque will be presented
- $500 honorarium
- Complimentary registration to the AHA Scientific Sessions
- Complimentary registration to the Stroke Nursing Symposium
The winner must agree to be present at the annual CVSN Council Dinner at Scientific Sessions to claim the award. The winner will also be invited to speak at the AHA's State of the Art Stroke Nursing Symposium held prior to the International Stroke Conference.