CVSA Surgery & Anesthesiology Mentoring Award
Sponsored by the Council on Cardiovascular Surgery and Anesthesia (CVSA)
To qualify for this Scientific Sessions 2023 award, you must meet the following deadlines:
- June 7, 2023 – Deadline to have an active AHA membership with the sponsoring Council.
- June 14, 2023, 6 p.m. CT – Deadline to apply for Scientific Sessions 2023 awards in the Council Awards System.
NEW DEADLINE! For awards requiring abstract submission, the deadline to submit your science to Scientific Sessions 2023 is June 12, 2023, 6 p.m. CT
The Council on Cardiovascular Surgery and Anesthesia (CVSA) annually honors one of its members who has actively guided junior researchers to build future generations of cardiovascular scientists and surgeons. This award recognizes a senior scientist who has a record of providing exceptional support for scientists in cardiothoracic and vascular surgery, anesthesiology and other related fields individually and globally through mentoring and advocacy.
The honoree will be recognized at the CVSA Council Dinner at Scientific Sessions in November.
- 2022 Not Awarded
- 2021 Linda Shore-Lesserson, MD, FAHA
- 2019 Joseph Woo, MD, FAHA
- 2017 Frank Sellke, MD, FAHA
- 2015 Nancy Nussmeier, MD, FAHA
- 2014 Lawrence H. Cohn, MD
- 2013 Pedro Del Nido, MD
- 2012 Robert Guyton, MD
- 2011 L. Henry Edmunds, Jr., MD
- 2010 Hartzell V. Schaff, MD
- 2008 William A. Baumgartner, MD
- 2007 William Pearce, MD
- 2006 Shukri Khuri, MD
- 2005 Timothy Gardner, MD
- 2004 Sidney Levitsky, MD
- 2003 Robert Thompson, MD
- 2002 Richard D. Weisel, MD
- Candidate must be a member of the AHA Council on Cardiovascular Surgery and Anesthesia. Those needing to join the AHA should do so ASAP for the member account to be processed in time for the Application System to permit submission by the application deadline. Learn more about AHA Professional Membership.
- Candidate must be a senior scientist (full faculty status of five years or more) in one or more of the fields represented by the council.
- Candidate must be working actively to build the careers of scientists in training under his or her supervision.
- Candidate must be nationally known in the fields represented by the council.
- Candidate must have participated in activities that support the work and education of junior investigators in the science field.
- Candidate must have made significant contributions to the role of junior investigators in the field.
How to Apply or Make a Nomination
Please see the individual award information pages below for specific documents required when submitting an application or nomination file. Awards requiring an abstract must be submitted to an AHA Scientific Meeting before the online submission site abstract deadline. Your abstract control number will be needed on the award application form.
A username and password previously set up through online registration at Professional Heart Daily (PHD) will be necessary to access the Council Awards Application System. AHA Professional Members who are creating an online profile for the first time should make sure to register using their AHA membership identification numbers.
An active AHA Professional Membership is required of all award applicants. If you are joining the AHA to apply, please wait for your AHA member number to arrive from AHA Member Services via e-mail before creating an online profile and starting your application file. We suggest that new members join the AHA no later than one week prior to the application submission deadline for the member ID number to be processed and delivered in time for the application deadline. The membership number will be required on the award application form.
- Click the link for the Council Awards Application System.
- Sign in with your Professional Heart Daily username and password.
- Follow these instructions to set up your profile in ProposalCentral. Setting up your ProposalCentral profile will only need to be done the first time you login to apply for an American Heart Association Council Awards. Please note that the grant maker named American Heart Association is for AHA Research Awards and is a separate log in.
For more detailed information on ProposalCentral, also included are additional materials on specific ProposalCentral functionality.
The application file should contain the following documents in PDF format:
- A letter of nomination, drafted on electronic letterhead with a signature. The letter should outline and provide clear examples of how the candidate meets the criteria.
- Curriculum vitae, including bibliography
- List of mentees and current positions.
- Up to three optional letters of support from mentees.
- Engraved plaque
- Complimentary registration to the AHA's Scientific Sessions
- Two (2) complimentary tickets to the CVSA Council Dinner at Scientific Sessions, where the plaque will be presented
- Join or renew as an AHA Professional Member
- Submit your application at Council Awards Application System
- Instructions for ProposalCentral, the new Council Awards platform
- Council Awards: [email protected]
- Member Services: [email protected]
- Password/Login: [email protected]
- Abstract Submission: [email protected]
AHA Professional Members are Difference Makers
Pre-Sessions Symposia & Early Career Day: November 10, 2023
Scientific Sessions: November 11–13, 2023
Pennsylvania Convention Center | Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Want to get involved?
The American Heart Association depends on the time and talent of volunteers to help us create a healthier world, free of heart disease and stroke.