In the United States, non–ST-elevation acute coronary syndromes (NSTE-ACS) affects more than 625,000 patients annually, or almost three fourths of all patients with ACS. At presentation, patients with unstable angina (UA) and non–ST-elevation myocardial infarction (NSTEMI) can be difficult to distinguish. Learn more about NSTE-ACS and ischemia-guided strategy approach to care and other critical information on NSTE-ACS.
Guidelines, Statements and Journal Articles
Non-ST Elevation Acute Coronary Syndrome (NSTE-ACS)
- Full Guidelines: 2014 AHA/ACC Guideline for the Management of Patients With Non-ST Elevation Acute Coronary Syndromes
- Top Ten Things To Know: 2014 AHA/ACC Guideline for the Management of Patients with Non–ST-Elevation Acute Coronary Syndromes (PDF)
Dual Antiplatelet Therapy (DAPT)
- Full Guidelines: Correction to: Duration of Dual Antiplatelet Therapy: A Systematic Review for the 2016 ACC/AHA Guideline Focused Update on Duration of Dual Antiplatelet Therapy in Patients With Coronary Artery Disease
- Top Ten Things To Know: ACC/AHA Guideline Focused Update on Duration of Dual Antiplatelet Therapy in Patients with Coronary Artery Disease (PDF)
- Slide Set: 2016 ACC/AHA Guideline Focused Update on Duration of Dual Antiplatelet Therapy in Patients with Coronary Artery Disease (PDF)
- Quick Guide Pamphlet: Dual Antiplatelet Therapy (PDF)
- Video: Dual Antiplatelet Guidelines Simplified
- Video: Duration of DAPT in Patients with Stable CAD, ACS, and PCI: An Overview of New Guidelines
News / New Studies
After a heart attack, one in four survivors call it quits
AHA News Article | October 4, 2017
Stopping daily aspirin increases heart attack, stroke risk
AHA News Article | September 25, 2017
First heart attacks more deadly for black patients
AHA News Article | July 10, 2017
A step closer to uncovering why women fare worse after heart attacks
AHA News Article | June 22, 2017
Non-ST-Elevation Acute Coronary Syndromes eBook: An Enhanced Overview of the AHA/ACC 2014 Guidelines
This multimedia e-book is designed to explain the evidence behind the ACS guidelines in an interactive, engaging manner, in order to improve the quality of care provided to your patients. It is built on the AHA/ACC 2014 Guidelines on the Management of Patients with Non–ST-Elevation Acute Coronary Syndromes.
NSTE-ACS: Insights from the 2014 AHA/ACC Guideline — Four Part Series
This four-part webinar series consists of cases, didactic presentations and discussions over the Non-ST Elevation Acute Coronary Syndrome (NSTE-ACS) Guideline. Participation in this program will provide you with additional resources to address recognition/risk factors, prevention/treatment, practice and guidelines for patients with NSTE-ACS.
Dual Antiplatelet Therapy — Part I
This activity provides a brief overview with facts on the importance of prescribing dual antiplatelet therapy to NSTEMI patients that meet criteria for this treatment.
Dual Antiplatelet Therapy — Part II
This activity is a continuation of Part I.
Acute Myocardial Infarction Toolkit
Use our tools and resources to empower your patients after a heart attack.
This NSTE-ACS page for professionals is part of the Guidelines Transformation & Optimization Program and is supported by an educational grant from AstraZeneca. The American Heart Association’s Guideline Transformation & Optimization (GTO) Program is a comprehensive, coordinated approach to accelerate guidelines into clinical practice. Visit www.heart.org/gto to learn more.