Cholesterol for Professionals
Understanding Familial Hypercholesterolemia
Familial Hypercholesterolemia (FH) is an inherited disorder that leads to aggressive and premature cardiovascular disease. In FH patients, genetic mutations make the liver incapable of metabolizing (or removing) excess LDL. This can lead to heart attacks, strokes, and narrowing of our heart valves.
Cholesterol Podcast Series
An informative podcast series on cholesterol management for healthcare professionals. This podcast series is designed to offer expert insights and discussion on the prevalence of high cholesterol and the risks and prevention of CVD, improving cholesterol management, and to emphasize healthy lifestyle and discuss treatment plans.
Guidelines and Statements
- 2018 ACC/AHA Guideline on the Management of Blood Cholesterol
- Top 10 Things to Know - 2018 Guideline on the Management of Blood Cholesterol
- Prevalence of Statin Therapy Use in US Adults According to Statin Eligibility Groups: 2018 ACC/AHA Guideline on the Treatment of Blood Cholesterol in Adults
- New Guidelines: Cholesterol should be on everyone's radar, beginning early in life
- 2017 Focused Update of the 2016 ACC Expert Consensus Decision Pathway on the Role of Non-Statin Therapies for LDL-Cholesterol Lowering in the Management of Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease Risk (opens in a new window)
- 2013 ACC/AHA Guideline on the Assessment of CV Risk: From the ACC/AHA Task Force on Practice Guidelines
- The Agenda for Familial Hypercholesterolemia: A Scientific Statement From the American Heart Association
AHA Guidelines On-the-Go Mobile App
Access new and current AHA/ASA Guidelines on your mobile device anytime, anywhere. Download our free mobile app today and enjoy the benefits of staying up to date no matter where you are. Actionable at the point of care, users will be able to retrieve relevant pieces of content while also having access to additional support detail and evidence.
Guidelines Transformation and Optimization
This Professionals Resource Page is part of the American Heart Association's Guideline Transformation & Optimization (GTO) Program. This initiative is a comprehensive, coordinated approach to aid the dissemination of guidelines into clinical practice. This offers medical professionals the ability to leverage science faster and measure clinical effectiveness, while empowering patients and caregivers to better manage health and participate in care coordination, the American Heart Association | American Stroke Association will help to drive better health outcomes and patient satisfaction.
For more information, visit heart.org/cholesterol.
2018 Prevention Guidelines Tool CV Risk Calculator
This risk calculator tool is used to calculate your patients’ risk for heart disease and stroke using the 2018 ACC/AHA guidelines.
Cholesterol Management Guide for Providers
A convenient guide designed to assist professionals in addressing, diagnosing and managing their patients' cholesterol.
Cholesterol Resources for Your Patients
Our cholesterol guide will help your patients understand and manage their cholesterol.
High levels of plasma lipoprotein(a) are independently associated with atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease.
Expand your professional knowledge with online education from your home or office with our web-based activities.
- Register for live CME/CE activities
- Take on-demand CME/CE activities
- Claim CME/CE for every AHA conference