Recently published in AHA journals
Incremental Change versus Disruptive Transformation: COVID-19 and the Cardiovascular Community
Nanette Kass Wenger and Sandra Jean Lewis
Circulation, April 6, 2021
This article commentary focuses on how the disruptive transformation of the pandemic can "be translated into sustained positive change for cardiovascular medicine and patients."
Avoiding the Coming Tsunami of Common, Chronic Disease: What the Lessons of the COVID-19 Pandemic Can Teach Us
Robert M. Califf
Circulation, April 6, 2021
The author warns scientists and clinicians to be prepared for a coming wave of death and disabilities when patients with common chronic diseases (CCDs) are able to finally return to their health care teams.
SARS-CoV-2 Spike Protein Impairs Endothelial Function via Downregulation of ACE2
Yuyang Lei, Jiao Zhang, et al.
Circulation Research, March 31, 2021
Stage III hypertension in patients after mRNA-based SARS-CoV-2 vaccination
Sylvain Meylan, Francoise Livio, et al.
Hypertension, March 25, 2021
This research letter explores cases of elevated blood pressure among patients who received an mRNA-based SARS-CoV-2 vaccine in a Swiss clinic.
Importance of Shared Decision Making for Return-to-Play after COVID-19
Benjamin H. Hammond, Peter F. Aziz and Dermot Phelan
Circulation, March 16, 2021
This article commentary explores the challenges of screening athletes before returning to play after COVID-19, and how shared decision-making with the patient is crucial.
Epidemiological Surveillance of the Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic on Stroke Care Using Artificial Intelligence
Raul G. Nogueira, Jason M. Davies, et al.
Stroke, March 4, 2021
The authors sought to evaluate the impact of COVID-19 in the overall screening for acute stroke utilizing a commercial clinical artificial intelligence platform.
COVID-19 Impact as an Illustration of Big Data Monitoring of Clinical Practice
Bruce C.V. Campbell
Stroke, February 25, 2021
This editorial examines the advantages the large amounts of data being gathered in COVID-19 studies around the world could possibly bring to future stroke research and understanding.
Stay up-to-date with CDC Resources
MMWR - Coronavirus @Model.Item.RenderHeadingSizeTag("h2")>
Get the CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR) on Coronavirus Disease, posted every Friday.
CDC's Science Update @Model.Item.RenderHeadingSizeTag("h2")>
Selected studies and peer-reviewed public health articles from outside sources, summarized on a single page each Friday.
Toolkits for Healthcare Providers @Model.Item.RenderHeadingSizeTag("h2")>
Resources for vaccines, guidance and planning for health care providers, plus additional links to share with patients.
Minorities and Health Equity
- Blacks Are Less Likely to Present With Strokes During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Observations from the Buckle of the Stroke Belt (Stroke, August 5)
- COVID-19 highlights long-term inequities in some communities (AHA News, June 25)
- At the Heart of the Matter: Unmasking and Addressing COVID-19's Toll on Diverse Populations, (Circulation, May 4)
- Podcast: Vulnerable Populations and COVID-19 | Transcript: Vulnerable Populations and COVID-19 (PDF)
Children and MIS-C
- Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children in Association With COVID-19 (Circulation, June 11)
- Acute heart failure in multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C) in the context of global SARS-CoV-2 pandemic (Circulation, May 17)
- Considerations for Triaging Elective Cases in Children with Cardiac Disease in a Time of Crisis (Circulation, April 13)
- Pediatric Intensive Care-COVID-19 International Collaborative webinar: key takeaways (PDF) (Webinar, May 2)
The Critical Role of Health Care Professionals During the COVID-19 Pandemic
Dr. Stephen Hahn, FDA Commissioner speaks with health care professionals about the FDA’s role in responding to the COVID-19 public health emergency, and the critical role of medical professionals as they face the challenges of COVID-19 response. Transcript of Dr. Hahn's August 10, 2020 remarks
COVID-19 and the Heart
Mina Chung, MD interviews Eduardo Marbán, MD, PhD about his invited lecture on "COVID and the Heart," which he presented Monday during BCVS 2020. Read Dr. Marban's April article in Circulation Research entitled "COVID-19 and the Heart."
COVID-19 and Venous Thromboembolism
Mina Chung, MD interviews Sanjum Sethi, MD, MPH about his BCVS 2020 invited lecture on "COVID-19 and Thromboembolism," which presents some of the lessons he learned from treating COVID-19 patients during the pandemic surge in New York.
Part of AHA's COVID-19 Clinical Guidance Podcast Series
This 25-minute discussion touches on the unique coagulopathy caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus, along with diagnosis and thrombo-prophylaxis techniques and treatment options. Featuring Naomi Hamburg, MD, MS, FACC, Associate Professor of Medicine, Boston University; and Mary Cushman, MD, MSc, FAHA, Professor of Medicine, University of Vermont. Read a transcript here (PDF).
Series Playlist: AHA COVID-19 Clinical Guidance including:
- Clinical Perspectives From China (CSC) | Transcript: Clinical Perspectives from China (PDF)
- Interim Guidance for Stroke Centers | Transcript: Interim Guidance for Stroke Centers (PDF)
- Women and Heart Disease | Transcript: Women and Heart Disease (PDF)
- High Risk Pregnancy | Transcript: High Risk Pregnancy (PDF)
- Drug Interactions on the QT Interval | Transcript: Drug Interactions on the QT Interval (PDF)
- Heart Failure | Transcript: Heart Failure (PDF)
- Adult Congenital Heart Disease | Transcript: Adult Congenital Heart Disease (PDF)
- Heart Disease | Transcript: Heart Disease (PDF)
- Diabetes | Transcript: Diabetes (PDF)
- Arrhythmia | Transcript: Arrhythmias (PDF)
- Critical Care Practice | Transcript: Critical Care Practice (PDF)
- Acute Coronary Syndrome | Transcript: Acute Coronary Syndromes (PDF)
- Thrombosis | Transcript: Thrombosis and COVID-19 (PDF)
- Vulnerable Populations and COVID-19 | Transcript: Vulnerable Populations and COVID-19 (PDF)
- Adult Congenital Heart Disease: Advice for Patients | Transcript coming soon
- COVID-19 Emergency Response – Lessons from China
- COVID-19 Impact on an Italian ICU | Transcript: COVID-19 Impact on an Italian ICU (PDF)
- COVID-19 implications in management of patients with T2D and CVD - a podcast from Know Diabetes by Heart
- CPR training through the COVID-19 pandemic | Transcript: CPR Training through the pandemic (PDF)
- Insights from King County/Seattle EMS Coronavirus Response | Transcript: King Co. Insights Part I (PDF)
- Update from King County/Seattle EMS on Response to COVID-19 Pandemic | Transcript: King Co. Insights Part II (PDF)
Resuscitation and Emergency Guidance
The Implications of COVID19 on Patient Care and Provider Safety
AHA experts and volunteers discuss the real-world implications of the novel coronavirus on patient care and how it affects provider safety, as part of AHA's Get With The Guidelines initiatives. Read a transcript here (PDF).
- INFOGRAPHIC: AHA Guidance for Resuscitation when Caring for Patients with Suspected or Confirmed COVID-19 (PDF)
- Updated Interim Guidance on Card Extensions during COVID-19 Outbreak (PDF)
- Interim Guidance for Basic and Advanced Life Support in Adults, Children, and Neonates With Suspected or Confirmed COVID-19
- Interim guidance for basic and advanced life support with COVID-19
- Training Resource: Oxygenation and Ventilation of COVID-19 Patients
- Interim Guidance for Healthcare Providers Caring for Pediatric Patients (PDF)
- Interim FAQs for Communities: COVID-19 and Pediatric CPR (PDF)
- COVID-19 and CPR training FAQs for communities (PDF)
AHA Research Community
- AHA COVID-19 CVD Registry
- AHA COVID-19 Registry targets quality of care (Circulation: Cardiovascular Quality and Outcomes, June 17)
- COVID-19 CVD Registry case record form (PDF)
- COVID-19 CVD Registry serial lab tracker form (PDF)
- AHA COVID-19 CVD Registry FAQs
- News release: New COVID-19 patient data registry offers insight on care and adverse CV outcomes
Lawrence Livermore National Labs/AHA COVID-19 Data Portal
This collaboration on the protein atlas developed through the AHA Center for Accelerated Discovery is being leveraged to help accelerate discovery of therapeutic antibodies or antiviral drugs for SARS-CoV-2.
This searchable data portal houses a wealth of data LLNL scientists have gathered from their ongoing COVID-19 molecular design projects, particularly the computer-based "virtual" screening of interactions with SARS-CoV-2 viral proteins for drug design purposes.
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
- Coronavirus.gov (White House, CDC, FEMA)
- World Health Organization (WHO)
- COVID-19 Discussion Forum for Professionals – Post questions, research, trends or anything you're seeing and discuss with your cardiovascular peers. Register and join.
- Your COVID-19 Questions Answered - Specific patient questions answered by scientific experts.
- AHA comprehensive COVID-19 resources – A wealth of resources for patients.
- AHA's Support Network for Emotional Well Being – Community support for managing stress, isolation, the "new normal" and more.
- Beneficial Business Exchange – AHA platform for broad-scaled exchanges between businesses and organizations. For organizational/community needs.