Recently published in AHA journals
Stroke Acute Management and Outcomes During the COVID-19 Outbreak
Blanca Fuentes, María Alonso de Leciñana, et al.
Stroke, Jan. 7, 2021
A multicenter cohort study to compare stroke outcomes between COVID-19 patients and those without the disease.
Lack of Evidence of ACE2 Expression and Replicative Infection by SARSCoV-2 in Human Endothelial Cells
Ian R. McCracken, Gaye Saginc, et. al.
Circulation, Jan. 6, 2021
This research letter describes a study examining whether SARS-CoV-2 binds directly or indirectly with endothelial cells.
Concerns on the Specificity of Commercial ELISAs for the Measurement of Angiotensin-(1-7) and Angiotensin II in Human Plasma
Mark C. Chappell, et al.
Hypertension, Jan. 5, 2021
A research letter describing comparison of angiotension II (Ang II) and ANG-(1-7) in plasma assessed by a commercial enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay test (ELISA) to that obtained from validated RIAs (radioimmunityassays) in a lab.
Impact of arterial stiffness on all-cause mortality in patients hospitalized with COVID-19 in Spain
Enrique Rodilla, Maria Dolores Lopez-Carmona, et al.
Hypertension, Dec. 30, 2020
This study from Spain looks at the role arterial stiffness may play in COVID-19 mortality.
Daniel Richter, Jens Eyding, Ralph Weber, Dirk Bartig, Armin Grau, Werner Hacke and Christos Krogias
Stroke, Dec. 24, 2020
A look at stroke care and diagnosis in Germany as the pandemic raged.
Journey to a Receptor for Advanced Glycation End Products Connection in Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 Infection
Divya Roy, Ravichandran Ramasamy and Ann Marie Schmidt
ATVB, Dec. 17, 2020
The authors explore whether the receptor for advanced glycation end products (RAGE) plays a role in extreme organ damage seen in some SARS-CoV-2 patients.
Stroke and Brain Health
- Characteristics and Outcomes in Patients With COVID-19 and Acute Ischemic Stroke: The Global COVID-19 Stroke Registry (Stroke, July 9)
- The emerging spectrum of COVID-19 neurology: clinical, radiological and laboratory findings (Brain, July 8)
- Effect of COVID-19 on Emergent Stroke Care: A Regional Experience (Stroke, July 8)
- COVID-19 and Decompressive Hemicraniectomy for Acute Ischemic Stroke (Stroke, July 8)
- Pandemic Guidance for Stroke Centers Aiding COVID-19 Treatment Teams (Stroke, June 23)
- Impact of COVID-19 Pandemic on Critical Care Transfers for ST-Elevation Myocardial Infarction, Stroke, and Aortic Emergencies, (Circ: CQO, June 11)
- Acute Stroke in Times of the COVID-19 Pandemic: A Multicenter Study, (Stroke, June 9)
- Webinar: Stroke in the Time of COVID-19
- Treatment of Acute Ischemic Stroke due to Large Vessel Occlusion With COVID-19, (Stroke)
- Break in the Stroke Chain of Survival Due to COVID-19, (Stroke)
- The Curious Case of the Missing Strokes During the COVID-19 Pandemic, (Stroke)
- Clinical Characteristics and Outcomes of COVID-19 Patients With a History of Stroke in Wuhan, China, (Stroke)
- Early Lessons From World War COVID: Reinventing Our Stroke Systems of Care – (Stroke)
- Temporary Emergency Guidance to U.S. Stroke Centers During the COVID-19 Pandemic
HeartBEATS from Lifelong Learning, Science Series: COVID-19 Cardiovascular Syndrome (Paid, credit available)
Listen to a discussion on COVID-19 Syndrome and cardiac damage.
2020 AHA Western States COVID-19 Webinar Series: Strategic Ways To Navigate Stroke Care And COVID-19 (Free, credit available)
Understand the variety of clinical presentations, including cardiomyopathy, ventricular arrhythmias and hemodynamic instability in SARS-CoV-2 infection, and formulate appropriate treatment plans.
COVID-19 Ventilator Reskilling (Paid, certificate available)
This self-directed, adaptive eLearning course helps health care providers in the acute care setting improve knowledge and competence in mechanical ventilation skills.
Minorities and Health Equity
- Blacks Are Less Likely to Present With Strokes During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Observations from the Buckle of the Stroke Belt (Stroke, August 5)
- COVID-19 highlights long-term inequities in some communities (AHA News, June 25)
- At the Heart of the Matter: Unmasking and Addressing COVID-19's Toll on Diverse Populations, (Circulation, May 4)
- Podcast: Vulnerable Populations and COVID-19 | Transcript: Vulnerable Populations and COVID-19 (PDF)
Children and MIS-C
- Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children in Association With COVID-19 (Circulation, June 11)
- Acute heart failure in multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C) in the context of global SARS-CoV-2 pandemic (Circulation, May 17)
- Considerations for Triaging Elective Cases in Children with Cardiac Disease in a Time of Crisis (Circulation, April 13)
- Pediatric Intensive Care-COVID-19 International Collaborative webinar: key takeaways (PDF) (Webinar, May 2)
The Critical Role of Health Care Professionals During the COVID-19 Pandemic
Dr. Stephen Hahn, FDA Commissioner speaks with health care professionals about the FDA’s role in responding to the COVID-19 public health emergency, and the critical role of medical professionals as they face the challenges of COVID-19 response. Transcript of Dr. Hahn's August 10, 2020 remarks
COVID-19 and the Heart
Mina Chung, MD interviews Eduardo Marbán, MD, PhD about his invited lecture on "COVID and the Heart," which he presented Monday during BCVS 2020. Read Dr. Marban's April article in Circulation Research entitled "COVID-19 and the Heart."
COVID-19 and Venous Thromboembolism
Mina Chung, MD interviews Sanjum Sethi, MD, MPH about his BCVS 2020 invited lecture on "COVID-19 and Thromboembolism," which presents some of the lessons he learned from treating COVID-19 patients during the pandemic surge in New York.
Part of AHA's COVID-19 Clinical Guidance Podcast Series
This 25-minute discussion touches on the unique coagulopathy caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus, along with diagnosis and thrombo-prophylaxis techniques and treatment options. Featuring Naomi Hamburg, MD, MS, FACC, Associate Professor of Medicine, Boston University; and Mary Cushman, MD, MSc, FAHA, Professor of Medicine, University of Vermont. Read a transcript here (PDF).
Series Playlist: AHA COVID-19 Clinical Guidance including:
- Clinical Perspectives From China (CSC) | Transcript: Clinical Perspectives from China (PDF)
- Interim Guidance for Stroke Centers | Transcript: Interim Guidance for Stroke Centers (PDF)
- Women and Heart Disease | Transcript: Women and Heart Disease (PDF)
- High Risk Pregnancy | Transcript: High Risk Pregnancy (PDF)
- Drug Interactions on the QT Interval | Transcript: Drug Interactions on the QT Interval (PDF)
- Heart Failure | Transcript: Heart Failure (PDF)
- Adult Congenital Heart Disease | Transcript: Adult Congenital Heart Disease (PDF)
- Heart Disease | Transcript: Heart Disease (PDF)
- Diabetes | Transcript: Diabetes (PDF)
- Arrhythmia | Transcript: Arrhythmias (PDF)
- Critical Care Practice | Transcript: Critical Care Practice (PDF)
- Acute Coronary Syndrome | Transcript: Acute Coronary Syndromes (PDF)
- Thrombosis | Transcript: Thrombosis and COVID-19 (PDF)
- Vulnerable Populations and COVID-19 | Transcript: Vulnerable Populations and COVID-19 (PDF)
- Adult Congenital Heart Disease: Advice for Patients | Transcript coming soon
- COVID-19 Emergency Response – Lessons from China
- COVID-19 Impact on an Italian ICU | Transcript: COVID-19 Impact on an Italian ICU (PDF)
- COVID-19 implications in management of patients with T2D and CVD - a podcast from Know Diabetes by Heart
- CPR training through the COVID-19 pandemic | Transcript: CPR Training through the pandemic (PDF)
- Insights from King County/Seattle EMS Coronavirus Response | Transcript: King Co. Insights Part I (PDF)
- Update from King County/Seattle EMS on Response to COVID-19 Pandemic | Transcript: King Co. Insights Part II (PDF)
Resuscitation and Emergency Guidance
The Implications of COVID19 on Patient Care and Provider Safety
AHA experts and volunteers discuss the real-world implications of the novel coronavirus on patient care and how it affects provider safety, as part of AHA's Get With The Guidelines initiatives. Read a transcript here (PDF).
- INFOGRAPHIC: AHA Guidance for Resuscitation when Caring for Patients with Suspected or Confirmed COVID-19 (PDF)
- Updated Interim Guidance on Card Extensions during COVID-19 Outbreak (PDF)
- Interim Guidance for Basic and Advanced Life Support in Adults, Children, and Neonates With Suspected or Confirmed COVID-19
- Interim guidance for basic and advanced life support with COVID-19
- Training Resource: Oxygenation and Ventilation of COVID-19 Patients
- Interim Guidance for Healthcare Providers Caring for Pediatric Patients (PDF)
- Interim FAQs for Communities: COVID-19 and Pediatric CPR (PDF)
- COVID-19 and CPR training FAQs for communities (PDF)
AHA Research Community
- AHA COVID-19 CVD Registry
- AHA COVID-19 Registry targets quality of care (Circulation: Cardiovascular Quality and Outcomes, June 17)
- COVID-19 CVD Registry case record form (PDF)
- COVID-19 CVD Registry serial lab tracker form (PDF)
- AHA COVID-19 CVD Registry FAQs
- News release: New COVID-19 patient data registry offers insight on care and adverse CV outcomes
Lawrence Livermore National Labs/AHA COVID-19 Data Portal
This collaboration on the protein atlas developed through the AHA Center for Accelerated Discovery is being leveraged to help accelerate discovery of therapeutic antibodies or antiviral drugs for SARS-CoV-2.
This searchable data portal houses a wealth of data LLNL scientists have gathered from their ongoing COVID-19 molecular design projects, particularly the computer-based "virtual" screening of interactions with SARS-CoV-2 viral proteins for drug design purposes.
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
- Coronavirus.gov (White House, CDC, FEMA)
- World Health Organization (WHO)
- COVID-19 Discussion Forum for Professionals – Post questions, research, trends or anything you're seeing and discuss with your cardiovascular peers. Register and join.
- Your COVID-19 Questions Answered - Specific patient questions answered by scientific experts.
- AHA comprehensive COVID-19 resources – A wealth of resources for patients.
- AHA's Support Network for Emotional Well Being – Community support for managing stress, isolation, the "new normal" and more.
- Beneficial Business Exchange – AHA platform for broad-scaled exchanges between businesses and organizations. For organizational/community needs.