Recently published in AHA journals
2021 Interim Guidance to Healthcare Providers for Basic and Advanced Cardiac Life Support in Adults, Children, and Neonates With Suspected or Confirmed COVID-19
Antony Hsu, Comilla Sasson, et al.
AHA Science News, October 12, 2021
Mucormycosis Epidemic and Stroke in India During the COVID-19 Pandemic
M.V. Padma Srivastava, Venugopalan Y. Vishnu and Awadh Kishor Pandit
Stroke, August 30, 2021
Impact of COVID-19 Infection on the Outcome of Patients With Ischemic Stroke
Joan Martí-Fàbregas, Daniel Guisado-Alonso, et al.
Stroke, August 25, 2021
Myocarditis Associated With COVID-19 Vaccination
Dana Viskin, Yan Topilsky, et al.
Circulation: Cardiovascular Imaging, August 25, 2021
Biomarkers of Coagulation and Inflammation in COVID-19–Associated Ischemic Stroke
Charles Esenwa, Natalie T. Cheng, et al.
Stroke, August 4, 2021
Changes in Stroke Hospital Care During the COVID-19 Pandemic: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis
Aristeidis H. Katsanos, Lina Palaiodimou, et al.
Stroke, July 29, 2021
Myocarditis With COVID-19 mRNA Vaccines
Biykem Bozkurt, Ishan Kamat and Peter J. Hotez
Circulation, July 20, 2021
Stay up-to-date with CDC Resources
MMWR - Coronavirus @Model.Item.RenderHeadingSizeTag("h2")>
Get the CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR) on Coronavirus Disease, posted every Friday.
CDC's Science Update @Model.Item.RenderHeadingSizeTag("h2")>
Selected studies and peer-reviewed public health articles from outside sources, summarized on a single page each Friday.
Toolkits for Healthcare Providers @Model.Item.RenderHeadingSizeTag("h2")>
Resources for vaccines, guidance and planning for health care providers, plus additional links to share with patients.
Recent AHA News Releases
- 3rd COVID-19 vaccine dose recommended for heart transplant patients and others with weakened immune systems, A Statement from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association
- Heart disease likely to remain #1 killer in U.S. indefinitely due to long-term COVID-19 impact
- Statement Following CDC ACIP Meeting from Nation’s Leading Doctors, Nurses and Public Health Leaders on Benefits of Vaccination
- COVID-19 vaccine benefits still outweigh risks, despite possible rare heart complications
- CVST and blood clots potentially related to the J&J COVID-19 vaccine: know the symptoms
Minorities and Health Equity
- Blacks Are Less Likely to Present With Strokes During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Observations from the Buckle of the Stroke Belt (Stroke, August 5)
- COVID-19 highlights long-term inequities in some communities (AHA News, June 25)
- At the Heart of the Matter: Unmasking and Addressing COVID-19's Toll on Diverse Populations, (Circulation, May 4)
- Podcast: Vulnerable Populations and COVID-19 | Transcript: Vulnerable Populations and COVID-19 (PDF)
Children and MIS-C
- Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children in Association With COVID-19 (Circulation, June 11)
- Acute heart failure in multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C) in the context of global SARS-CoV-2 pandemic (Circulation, May 17)
- Considerations for Triaging Elective Cases in Children with Cardiac Disease in a Time of Crisis (Circulation, April 13)
- Pediatric Intensive Care-COVID-19 International Collaborative webinar: key takeaways (PDF) (Webinar, May 2)
Recent COVID-19 Discussions from AHA Meetings
Vascular Complications of COVID-19
Participants discuss the key take-away messages from the science presented in the opening plenary session for Vascular Discovery 2021, which focused on the impact of the virus and how the effort to identify who and when to treat is transforming vascular research and clinical trials.
Moderators include Naomi M Hamburg, MD and Pradeep Natarajan, MD, MSc; the panelists are Anna Randi, MD, PhD, Yogendra Kanthi, MD, and Clyde W. Yancy, MD, MSc.
BCVS: COVID-19 and Myocardial Injury
Moderators Milka Koupenova, PhD and Eduardo Marbán, MD, PhD discuss the science presented in the Concurrent Session "COVID-19 and Myocardial Injury: Short- and Long-Term Cardiovascular Effects,” presented at #BCVS21 in August.
#EPI|Lifestyle21: COVID and Cardiovascular Health
Pamela L. Lutsey, PhD, MPH, FAHA interviews keynote speakers Scott D. Solomon, MD and Mercedes R. Carnethon, PhD, FAHA about the lectures they delivered at the EPI|Lifestyle 2021 conference, held in May.
Part of AHA's COVID-19 Clinical Guidance Podcast Series
This 25-minute discussion touches on the unique coagulopathy caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus, along with diagnosis and thrombo-prophylaxis techniques and treatment options. Featuring Naomi Hamburg, MD, MS, FACC, Associate Professor of Medicine, Boston University; and Mary Cushman, MD, MSc, FAHA, Professor of Medicine, University of Vermont. Read a transcript here (PDF).
Series Playlist: AHA COVID-19 Clinical Guidance including:
- Clinical Perspectives From China (CSC) | Transcript: Clinical Perspectives from China (PDF)
- Interim Guidance for Stroke Centers | Transcript: Interim Guidance for Stroke Centers (PDF)
- Women and Heart Disease | Transcript: Women and Heart Disease (PDF)
- High Risk Pregnancy | Transcript: High Risk Pregnancy (PDF)
- Drug Interactions on the QT Interval | Transcript: Drug Interactions on the QT Interval (PDF)
- Heart Failure | Transcript: Heart Failure (PDF)
- Adult Congenital Heart Disease | Transcript: Adult Congenital Heart Disease (PDF)
- Heart Disease | Transcript: Heart Disease (PDF)
- Diabetes | Transcript: Diabetes (PDF)
- Arrhythmia | Transcript: Arrhythmias (PDF)
- Critical Care Practice | Transcript: Critical Care Practice (PDF)
- Acute Coronary Syndrome | Transcript: Acute Coronary Syndromes (PDF)
- Thrombosis | Transcript: Thrombosis and COVID-19 (PDF)
- Vulnerable Populations and COVID-19 | Transcript: Vulnerable Populations and COVID-19 (PDF)
- Adult Congenital Heart Disease: Advice for Patients | Transcript coming soon
- COVID-19 Emergency Response – Lessons from China
- COVID-19 Impact on an Italian ICU | Transcript: COVID-19 Impact on an Italian ICU (PDF)
- COVID-19 implications in management of patients with T2D and CVD - a podcast from Know Diabetes by Heart
- CPR training through the COVID-19 pandemic | Transcript: CPR Training through the pandemic (PDF)
- Insights from King County/Seattle EMS Coronavirus Response | Transcript: King Co. Insights Part I (PDF)
- Update from King County/Seattle EMS on Response to COVID-19 Pandemic | Transcript: King Co. Insights Part II (PDF)
Resuscitation and Emergency Guidance
The Implications of COVID19 on Patient Care and Provider Safety
AHA experts and volunteers discuss the real-world implications of the novel coronavirus on patient care and how it affects provider safety, as part of AHA's Get With The Guidelines initiatives. Read a transcript here (PDF).
- INFOGRAPHIC: AHA Guidance for Resuscitation when Caring for Patients with Suspected or Confirmed COVID-19 (PDF)
- Updated Interim Guidance on Card Extensions during COVID-19 Outbreak (PDF)
- Interim Guidance for Basic and Advanced Life Support in Adults, Children, and Neonates With Suspected or Confirmed COVID-19
- Interim guidance for basic and advanced life support with COVID-19
- Training Resource: Oxygenation and Ventilation of COVID-19 Patients
- Interim Guidance for Healthcare Providers Caring for Pediatric Patients (PDF)
- Interim FAQs for Communities: COVID-19 and Pediatric CPR (PDF)
- COVID-19 and CPR training FAQs for communities (PDF)
AHA Research Community
- AHA COVID-19 CVD Registry
- Repeated cross sectional analysis of hydroxychloroquine deimplementation in the AHA COVID 19 CVD Registry (Scientific Reports, July 23, 2021)
- Relation of prior statin and anti-hypertensive use to severity of disease among patients hospitalized with COVID-19: Findings from the American Heart Association’s COVID-19 Cardiovascular Disease Registry, (PLOS ONE, July 15, 2021)
- Association of Kidney Disease With Outcomes in COVID-19: Results From the American Heart Association COVID-19 Cardiovascular Disease Registry (JAHA, June 10, 2021)
- Intracerebral Hemorrhage in Patients With COVID-19 (Stroke, June 4, 2021)
- Trends in Patient Characteristics and COVID-19 In-Hospital Mortality in the United States During the COVID-19 Pandemic (JAMA Network Open, May 3, 2021)
- Association of Body Mass Index and Age With Morbidity and Mortality in Patients Hospitalized With COVID-19: Results From the American Heart Association COVID-19 Cardiovascular Disease Registry (Circulation, November 17, 2020)
- Racial and Ethnic Differences in Presentation and Outcomes for Patients Hospitalized with COVID-19: Findings from the American Heart Association's COVID-19 Cardiovascular Disease Registry (Circulation, November 17, 2020)
- American Heart Association COVID-19 CVD Registry Powered by Get With The Guidelines (Circulation Cardiovascular Quality and Outcomes, June 17, 2020
- News release: New COVID-19 patient data registry offers insight on care and adverse CV outcomes
- News Release: Meet 12 scientific teams redefining fast-tracked heart and brain health research related to COVID-19
- FAQs: COVID-19 Impact on AHA Research (PDF)
- Trends in Patient Characteristics and COVID-19 In-Hospital Mortality in the United States During the COVID-19 Pandemic
Lawrence Livermore National Labs/AHA COVID-19 Data Portal
This collaboration on the protein atlas developed through the AHA Center for Accelerated Discovery is being leveraged to help accelerate discovery of therapeutic antibodies or antiviral drugs for SARS-CoV-2.
This searchable data portal houses a wealth of data LLNL scientists have gathered from their ongoing COVID-19 molecular design projects, particularly the computer-based "virtual" screening of interactions with SARS-CoV-2 viral proteins for drug design purposes.
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
- Coronavirus.gov (White House, CDC, FEMA)
- World Health Organization (WHO)
- COVID-19 Discussion Forum for Professionals – Post questions, research, trends or anything you're seeing and discuss with your cardiovascular peers. Register and join.
- Your COVID-19 Questions Answered - Specific patient questions answered by scientific experts.
- AHA comprehensive COVID-19 resources – A wealth of resources for patients.
- AHA's Support Network for Emotional Well Being – Community support for managing stress, isolation, the "new normal" and more.
- Beneficial Business Exchange – AHA platform for broad-scaled exchanges between businesses and organizations. For organizational/community needs.