Early Brain Imaging Shows Increased Severity of Acute Ischemic Strokes With Large Vessel Occlusion in COVID-19 Patients (Stroke, August 19)
The study authors "aimed to compare anterior circulation large vessel occlusion strokes severity between patients with and without COVID-19."
ST-Segment–Elevation Myocardial Infarction During COVID-19 Pandemic: Insights From a Regional Public Service Healthcare Hub (Circulation: Cardiovascular Interventions, August 14)
"Aim of this study was to assess clinical features of patients with STEMI during COVID-19 pandemic."
Streamlined Poststroke Treatment Order Sets During the SARS-CoV-2 Pandemic: Simplifying While Not Compromising Care (Stroke, August 13)
"A streamlined poststroke treatment protocol was developed to limit frequency of patient encounters while maximizing the yield of each encounter by grouping together different components of poststroke care into single bedside visits."
Clinical Characteristics and Prognosis of 244 Cardiovascular Patients Suffering from Coronavirus Disease in Wuhan, China (JAHA, August 14)
"This study aimed to summarize the clinical characteristics and laboratory indicators of COVID‐19 patients with CVD, especially the critically ill patients."
- Additional $400K awarded for fast-tracked COVID-19 heart and brain health research (AHA news release, August 10)
- History of Stroke Is Independently Associated With In-Hospital Death in Patients With COVID-19 (Stroke, August 10)
- Endothelial Dysfunction and Thrombosis in Patients With COVID-19 (ATVB, August 7)
- Acute Stroke Presentation, Care, and Outcomes in Community Hospitals in Northern California During the COVID-19 Pandemic (Stroke, August 7)
- Cardiovascular Hospitalizations, Influenza Activity and COVID-19 Measures (Circulation, August 6)
- Cerebrovascular Complications of COVID-19 (Stroke, August 6)
- The Impact of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) on First-time Acute Stroke and Transient Ischemic Attack Admission Rates and Prognosis in Denmark: A Nationwide Cohort Study (Circulation, August 5)
- Emergent Large Vessel Occlusion Stroke During New York City’s COVID-19 Outbreak: Clinical Characteristics and Paraclinical Findings (Stroke, July 31)
- Clinical Course and Mortality of Stroke Patients With Coronavirus Disease 2019 in Wuhan, China (Stroke, July 31)
- Stroke Code Presentations, Interventions, and Outcomes Before and During the COVID-19 Pandemic (Stroke, July 31)
- Narrowing in on the True Rate of Venous Thromboembolism in Hospitalized Patients With COVID-19 Disease (ATVB, July 30)
- Immunothrombotic Dysregulation in COVID-19 Pneumonia is Associated with Respiratory Failure and Coagulopathy (Circulation, July 28)
- MDM2-Mediated Ubiquitination of ACE2 Contributes to the Development of Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension (Circulation, July 28)
- Impact of the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Pandemic on a Tertiary-Level Electrophysiology Laboratory in Italy (Circulation: Arrhythmia and Electrophysiology, July 23)
- IL-6 Blockade and QTc Prolongation in COVID-19 (Circulation: Arrhythmia and Electrophysiology, July 23)
- Heart Failure Clinical Trial Operations During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Results from a Multicenter Survey (Circulation: Heart Failure, July 23)
- Unexpected Features of Cardiac Pathology in COVID-19 Infection (Circulation, July 21)
- COVID-19 and the Heart and Vasculature: Novel Approaches to Reduce Virus-Induced Inflammation in Patients With Cardiovascular Disease (ATVB, July 20)
- Infarction of the Splenium of the Corpus Callosum in the Age of COVID-19: A Snapshot in Time (Stroke, July 20)
- Microthrombi and ST-Segment Elevation Myocardial Infarction in COVID-19 (Circulation, July 17)
- Could anti?hypertensive drug therapy affect the clinical prognosis of hypertensive patients with COVID?19 infection? Data from centers of southern Italy (JAHA, July 7)
- Comparison of Venous Thromboembolism Risks Between COVID-19 Pneumonia and Community-Acquired Pneumonia Patients (ATVB, July 6)
- Giant T Wave Inversion and Dyspnea in the Time of Coronavirus Pandemic (Circulation, July 1)
- Acute Stroke Management During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Does Confinement Impact Eligibility for Endovascular Therapy? (Stroke, July 1)
- Effect of the COVID-19 Pandemic on ST-Segment–Elevation Myocardial Infarction Presentations and In-Hospital Outcomes (Circulation: Cardiovascular Interventions, June 30)
- Retrospective Study of Risk Factors for Myocardial Damage in Patients With Critical Coronavirus Disease 2019 in Wuhan (JAHA, June 30)
- The Emerging Threat of (Micro)Thrombosis in COVID-19 and Its Therapeutic Implications (Circulation Research, June 26)
- National Institutes of Health StrokeNet During the Time of COVID-19 and Beyond (Stroke, June 24)
- Pandemic Guidance for Stroke Centers Aiding COVID-19 Treatment Teams (Stroke, June 23)
- Perspectives on Cardiopulmonary Critical Care for COVID-19 Patients: From Members of the American Heart Association Council on Cardiopulmonary, Critical Care, Perioperative and Resuscitation (JAHA, June 18)
- Research letter: Systemic Inflammatory Response Syndrome is a Major Contributor to COVID-19-Associated Coagulopathy: Insights from a Prospective SingleCenter Cohort Study (Circulation, June 18)
- Guidance for rebooting electrophysiology through the COVID-19 pandemic from the Heart Rhythm Society and the American Heart Association Electrocardiography and Arrhythmias Committee of the Council on Clinical Cardiology (Circulation: Arrhythmia and Electrophysiology, June 12)
- Impact of COVID-19 Pandemic on Critical Care Transfers for ST-Elevation Myocardial Infarction, Stroke, and Aortic Emergencies, (Circulation: CQO, June 11)
- Guidance on Acute Management of Atrial Fibrillation in COVID-19 (JAHA, June 9)
- Research Letter: Telemedicine Outpatient Cardiovascular Care during the COVID-19 Pandemic: Bridging or Opening the Digital Divide? (Circulation, June 8)
- STEMI Systems of Care during COVID-19, Circulation
- The Spectrum of Cardiac Manifestations in Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) - a Systematic Echocardiographic Study, Circulation
- Clinical Characteristics and Outcomes of COVID-19 Patients With a History of Stroke in Wuhan, China, Stroke
- Acute heart failure in multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C) in the context of global SARS-CoV-2 pandemic, Circulation
- Pediatric Intensive Care-COVID-19 International Collaborative webinar: key takeaways (PDF)
- At the Heart of the Matter: Unmasking and Addressing COVID-19's Toll on Diverse Populations, Circulation
- Interim guidance for basic and advanced life support with COVID-19, Circulation
- Protecting Medical Trainees on the COVID-19 Frontlines, Circulation
- COVID-19 Guidance for Women's Health (PDF)
- Circulation Video Series: COVID Updates From the Front Lines
- Role of the AHA during COVID-19
- HFSA/ACC/AHA statement addresses concerns re: using RAAS antagonists in COVID-19
- From CEO Nancy Brown: Compassion amid crisis: AHA presidents awed by COVID-19 response
- News release: Patients with COVID-19 taking ACE-I and ARBS should continue treatment
- News release: AHA, other health care groups issue urgent call for action on medical equipment shortages
Stroke and Brain Health
- Characteristics and Outcomes in Patients With COVID-19 and Acute Ischemic Stroke: The Global COVID-19 Stroke Registry (Stroke, July 9)
- The emerging spectrum of COVID-19 neurology: clinical, radiological and laboratory findings (Brain, July 8)
- Effect of COVID-19 on Emergent Stroke Care: A Regional Experience (Stroke, July 8)
- COVID-19 and Decompressive Hemicraniectomy for Acute Ischemic Stroke (Stroke, July 8)
- Pandemic Guidance for Stroke Centers Aiding COVID-19 Treatment Teams (Stroke, June 23)
- Impact of COVID-19 Pandemic on Critical Care Transfers for ST-Elevation Myocardial Infarction, Stroke, and Aortic Emergencies, (Circ: CQO, June 11)
- Acute Stroke in Times of the COVID-19 Pandemic: A Multicenter Study, (Stroke, June 9)
- Webinar: Stroke in the Time of COVID-19
- Treatment of Acute Ischemic Stroke due to Large Vessel Occlusion With COVID-19, (Stroke)
- Break in the Stroke Chain of Survival Due to COVID-19, (Stroke)
- The Curious Case of the Missing Strokes During the COVID-19 Pandemic, (Stroke)
- Clinical Characteristics and Outcomes of COVID-19 Patients With a History of Stroke in Wuhan, China, (Stroke)
- Early Lessons From World War COVID: Reinventing Our Stroke Systems of Care – (Stroke)
- Temporary Emergency Guidance to U.S. Stroke Centers During the COVID-19 Pandemic
HeartBEATS from Lifelong Learning, Science Series: COVID-19 Cardiovascular Syndrome (Paid, credit available)
Listen to a discussion on COVID-19 Syndrome and cardiac damage.
2020 AHA Western States COVID-19 Webinar Series: Strategic Ways To Navigate Stroke Care And COVID-19 (Free, credit available)
Understand the variety of clinical presentations, including cardiomyopathy, ventricular arrhythmias and hemodynamic instability in SARS-CoV-2 infection, and formulate appropriate treatment plans.
COVID-19 Ventilator Reskilling (Paid, certificate available)
This self-directed, adaptive eLearning course helps health care providers in the acute care setting improve knowledge and competence in mechanical ventilation skills.
Minorities and Health Equity
- Blacks Are Less Likely to Present With Strokes During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Observations from the Buckle of the Stroke Belt (Stroke, August 5)
- COVID-19 highlights long-term inequities in some communities (AHA News, June 25)
- At the Heart of the Matter: Unmasking and Addressing COVID-19's Toll on Diverse Populations, (Circulation, May 4)
- Podcast: Vulnerable Populations and COVID-19 | Transcript: Vulnerable Populations and COVID-19 (PDF)
Children and MIS-C
- Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children in Association With COVID-19 (Circulation, June 11)
- Acute heart failure in multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C) in the context of global SARS-CoV-2 pandemic (Circulation, May 17)
- Considerations for Triaging Elective Cases in Children with Cardiac Disease in a Time of Crisis (Circulation, April 13)
- Pediatric Intensive Care-COVID-19 International Collaborative webinar: key takeaways (PDF) (Webinar, May 2)
The Critical Role of Health Care Professionals During the COVID-19 Pandemic
Dr. Stephen Hahn, FDA Commissioner speaks with health care professionals about the FDA’s role in responding to the COVID-19 public health emergency, and the critical role of medical professionals as they face the challenges of COVID-19 response. Transcript of Dr. Hahn's August 10, 2020 remarks
COVID-19 and the Heart
Mina Chung, MD interviews Eduardo Marbán, MD, PhD about his invited lecture on "COVID and the Heart," which he presented Monday during BCVS 2020. Read Dr. Marban's April article in Circulation Research entitled "COVID-19 and the Heart."
COVID-19 and Venous Thromboembolism
Mina Chung, MD interviews Sanjum Sethi, MD, MPH about his BCVS 2020 invited lecture on "COVID-19 and Thromboembolism," which presents some of the lessons he learned from treating COVID-19 patients during the pandemic surge in New York.
Part of AHA's COVID-19 Clinical Guidance Podcast Series
This 25-minute discussion touches on the unique coagulopathy caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus, along with diagnosis and thrombo-prophylaxis techniques and treatment options. Featuring Naomi Hamburg, MD, MS, FACC, Associate Professor of Medicine, Boston University; and Mary Cushman, MD, MSc, FAHA, Professor of Medicine, University of Vermont. Read a transcript here (PDF).
Series Playlist: AHA COVID-19 Clinical Guidance including:
- Clinical Perspectives From China (CSC) | Transcript: Clinical Perspectives from China (PDF)
- Interim Guidance for Stroke Centers | Transcript: Interim Guidance for Stroke Centers (PDF)
- Women and Heart Disease | Transcript: Women and Heart Disease (PDF)
- High Risk Pregnancy | Transcript: High Risk Pregnancy (PDF)
- Drug Interactions on the QT Interval | Transcript: Drug Interactions on the QT Interval (PDF)
- Heart Failure | Transcript: Heart Failure (PDF)
- Adult Congenital Heart Disease | Transcript: Adult Congenital Heart Disease (PDF)
- Heart Disease | Transcript: Heart Disease (PDF)
- Diabetes | Transcript: Diabetes (PDF)
- Arrhythmia | Transcript: Arrhythmias (PDF)
- Critical Care Practice | Transcript: Critical Care Practice (PDF)
- Acute Coronary Syndrome | Transcript: Acute Coronary Syndromes (PDF)
- Thrombosis | Transcript: Thrombosis and COVID-19 (PDF)
- Vulnerable Populations and COVID-19 | Transcript: Vulnerable Populations and COVID-19 (PDF)
- Adult Congenital Heart Disease: Advice for Patients | Transcript coming soon
- COVID-19 Emergency Response – Lessons from China
- COVID-19 Impact on an Italian ICU | Transcript: COVID-19 Impact on an Italian ICU (PDF)
- COVID-19 implications in management of patients with T2D and CVD - a podcast from Know Diabetes by Heart
- CPR training through the COVID-19 pandemic | Transcript: CPR Training through the pandemic (PDF)
- Insights from King County/Seattle EMS Coronavirus Response | Transcript: King Co. Insights Part I (PDF)
- Update from King County/Seattle EMS on Response to COVID-19 Pandemic | Transcript: King Co. Insights Part II (PDF)
Resuscitation and Emergency Guidance
The Implications of COVID19 on Patient Care and Provider Safety
AHA experts and volunteers discuss the real-world implications of the novel coronavirus on patient care and how it affects provider safety, as part of AHA's Get With The Guidelines initiatives. Read a transcript here (PDF).
- INFOGRAPHIC: AHA Guidance for Resuscitation when Caring for Patients with Suspected or Confirmed COVID-19 (PDF)
- Updated Interim Guidance on Card Extensions during COVID-19 Outbreak (PDF)
- Interim Guidance for Basic and Advanced Life Support in Adults, Children, and Neonates With Suspected or Confirmed COVID-19
- Interim guidance for basic and advanced life support with COVID-19
- Training Resource: Oxygenation and Ventilation of COVID-19 Patients
- Interim Guidance for Healthcare Providers Caring for Pediatric Patients (PDF)
- Interim FAQs for Communities: COVID-19 and Pediatric CPR (PDF)
- COVID-19 and CPR training FAQs for communities (PDF)
AHA Research Community
- AHA COVID-19 CVD Registry
- AHA COVID-19 Registry targets quality of care (Circulation: Cardiovascular Quality and Outcomes, June 17)
- COVID-19 CVD Registry case record form (PDF)
- COVID-19 CVD Registry serial lab tracker form (PDF)
- AHA COVID-19 CVD Registry FAQs
- News release: New COVID-19 patient data registry offers insight on care and adverse CV outcomes
Lawrence Livermore National Labs/AHA COVID-19 Data Portal
This collaboration on the protein atlas developed through the AHA Center for Accelerated Discovery is being leveraged to help accelerate discovery of therapeutic antibodies or antiviral drugs for SARS-CoV-2.
This searchable data portal houses a wealth of data LLNL scientists have gathered from their ongoing COVID-19 molecular design projects, particularly the computer-based "virtual" screening of interactions with SARS-CoV-2 viral proteins for drug design purposes.
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
- Coronavirus.gov (White House, CDC, FEMA)
- World Health Organization (WHO)
- COVID-19 Discussion Forum for Professionals – Post questions, research, trends or anything you're seeing and discuss with your cardiovascular peers. Register and join.
- Your COVID-19 Questions Answered - Specific patient questions answered by scientific experts.
- AHA comprehensive COVID-19 resources – A wealth of resources for patients.
- AHA's Support Network for Emotional Well Being – Community support for managing stress, isolation, the "new normal" and more.
- Beneficial Business Exchange – AHA platform for broad-scaled exchanges between businesses and organizations. For organizational/community needs.