Award Application Window: April 15–August 16, 2020 at 6 p.m. (Central Time)
The Council on Peripheral Vascular Disease (PVD) is offering a $750 travel grant. The $750 grant is expected to support registration and related travel expenses to American Heart Association Scientific Sessions.
- All applicants for the Travel Grant must be members of the American Heart Association with primary affiliation to the PVD Council at the time of application. If you need to become an AHA/ASA Member, you should do so no later than August 5th for your membership to be processed in time for the application submission deadline. Learn more about AHA Professional Membership.
- Applicants are encouraged but not required to submit an abstract to Scientific Sessions by June 16 and only the “first/primary author” may apply. Please view a list of Scientific Sessions council awards and travel grants available by abstract category and community (PDF).
- The applicant must be the abstract presenter.
- Applicants must submit an application packet by the award deadline that includes the following three items:
- Application form
- Curricula Vitae (CV)
- Letter of recommendation
- Notwithstanding the above, the AHA Officers have the discretion to determine eligibility for the award in extraordinary circumstances when there is an issue relating to AHA policy or positions or other potentially controversial issue relating to the positioning or perception of the AHA.
- Through the brief personal statement on the application form, CV and letter of recommendation, the applicant should demonstrate prior and current interest/commitment to the care of patients with peripheral vascular disease.
- Winners are not eligible to receive a grant for the same award in subsequent years.
- Each recipient of AHA council-sponsored awards, regardless of award category, is eligible to receive only one council-sponsored award each year per AHA scientific meeting. (For example, an Early Career Investigator Award finalist will not be eligible to receive a travel stipend for the same meeting.)
- There are no citizenship requirements.
The application will be judged by a panel of AHA volunteers from the Peripheral Vascular Disease Planning Committee. Criteria includes:
- Demonstrated commitment and interest in identifying and treating patients with peripheral vascular disease.
- Applicant’s potential to make an impact in the care and treatment of patients with peripheral vascular disease.
- Applicant’s record of accomplishments, as evidenced in CV by length and type of service, awards, etc.
How to Apply/Document Requirements
Applications should be submitted though the Council Awards System. Hard copies of any part of the application cannot be accepted.
Your application file should contain the following documents in electronic format (preferably PDF):
- Completed application form
- Updated CV containing elements such as (if applicable): (1) education, (2) employment history, (3) awards/citations, (4) presentations or lectures, (5) publications/articles/book chapters.
- Letter (maximum length 1 page) on appropriate letterhead from the referent with signature, including at least: (1) verification that applicant is a vascular/cardiovascular post-graduate trainee or junior faculty (2) relationship of referent to the applicant, (3) referent’s opinion as to the potential of the applicant to make an impact in future work surrounding care and treatment of peripheral vascular disorders, and (4) referent’s knowledge of prior accomplishments of applicant in the domain of peripheral vascular disease. No additional references are required.
Visit the Council Awards web site for full award details and to obtain the application form. A username and password previously set up through online profile registration at Professional Heart Daily will be necessary to access the Application System. If you have not created an online profile yet, please visit Professional Heart Daily to create an online member profile before accessing the Council Awards Application System. AHA Professional Members who are creating an online profile for the first time should make sure to register using their AHA membership identification numbers.
AHA Membership is required of all applicants for this award. If you are joining the AHA to apply, please wait on your AHA membership number to arrive from AHA Member Services via e-mail before creating an online profile and starting your application file. We suggest that new members join the AHA no later than Aug. 5 for the membership number to be processed and delivered in time for the application deadline.
The winners will each receive $750 travel grant to use to help defray registration and related travel costs to attend the Scientific Sessions.
- For rules and regulations for submitting abstracts to the Scientific Sessions, visit Abstract Submission Guidelines (PDF)
- Submit your application at Council Awards System
- Join or renew AHA/ASA Professional Membership
Check out the FIT/Early Career Voice blog!
Your passion, our science, career-defining insights.
AHA Professional Partners
Enjoy instant benefits!
- Free Online Access to AHA Scientific Journals
- Affiliate with our 16 Scientific Councils
- Discounts on Scientific Conference Registration and Online Courses