Sponsored by the Trainee Advocacy Committee of the Council on Hypertension
The Council on Hypertension's Trainee Advocacy Committee proudly supports and encourages the research efforts and careers of the council's trainee members. The Committee assesses the needs of these early career investigators and keeps them engaged by developing programs and initiatives geared toward the education and advancement of trainees involved in hypertension and renal research.
This travel grant will help defray travel costs for four deserving trainees (pre-doctoral and post-doctoral) who have been selected to present abstracts at the Hypertension Scientific Sessions.
- All applicants for travel grants sponsored by a scientific council must be members of the AHA/ASA at any level at the time of application. If you need to become an AHA/ASA Professional Member, you should do so before submitting your abstract and award application materials. Join or renew today!
- Applicant must be active in research and still be in training as an undergraduate or pre-doctoral student, or be within 10 years of completing medical fellowship (or residency as NIH states, MDs would be Fellows for 3-6 years of the 7-10), terminal degree or highest certificate (e.g. BSc, MSc).
- During the abstract submission process, applicants must submit the required award documentation and select the award for which they are applying.
- The applicant must be the first/primary author of the abstract.
- Abstracts eligible for this award must be based upon projects that adhere to the American Heart Association’s policies governing all research awards, regardless of whether the project was funded by the American Heart Association. These policies are include (but are not limited to) research using human subjects or animals and stem cell research.
- Notwithstanding the above, the AHA Officers have the discretion to determine eligibility for the award in extraordinary circumstances when there is an issue relating to AHA policy or positions or other potentially controversial issue relating to the positioning or perception of the AHA.
- Winners are not eligible to re-enter the competition in subsequent years.
- Winners may only win one type of travel grant or award per conference during the same year.
- There are no citizenship restrictions for this award.
Applications will be judged primarily based on the scientific ranking of the candidate’s abstract. Only abstracts selected for presentation at the Hypertension Scientific Sessions 2022 will be eligible for consideration for this travel grant.
Please note: All documents listed must be included with the abstract submission. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
How to Apply/Required Documents
Submit a scientific abstract to the Hypertension Scientific Sessions 2022 as well as all supporting award documentation via the conference's abstract submission site by the deadline. The deadline for submission is Wednesday, May 25, 2022 at 6:00 p.m. CDT.
The following items must be submitted for consideration for this travel grant:
- AHA abstract in accordance with AHA rules and regulations for submitting abstracts to the Hypertension Scientific Sessions. The work covered by the abstract must not have been published before the date and time of presentation at Hypertension Scientific Sessions. Abstract data must not have been presented at a national or international meeting or world congress before the date and time of presentation at the Hypertension Scientific Sessions.
- Curriculum vitae
- Letter by the candidate's supervisor/mentor attesting the following: the candidate is a graduate student/predoctoral fellow or postdoctoral fellow as outlined in the eligibility criteria; the abstract research was performed primarily by the candidate; he or she is the first author of the abstract, and that the research has not been published or presented elsewhere previously.
AHA membership at any level is required by the candidate by the time the award materials are submitted.
Four awardees will be presented a $250 travel grant to help defray travel expenses to attend the Hypertension Scientific Sessions 2022 and will receive complimentary registration to the conference. Awardees must be present at the meeting in order to receive their awards.
All abstracts and application materials must be received through the Hypertension Scientific Sessions abstract submitter. Visit the Hypertension Scientific Sessions page for submission details. The deadline for abstract submissions is Wednesday, May 15, 2022 at 6:00 p.m. CDT.
AHA Conference Manager