ATVB Diversity Outreach Travel Grants for Early Career Investigators
Sponsored by the ATVB Council Diversity Committee
To qualify for this Vascular Discovery: From Genes to Medicine award you must meet the following deadlines:
- January 6, 2023 – Deadline to have an active AHA membership with this Council.
- January 18, 2023, 6 p.m. Central Time – Deadline to submit your science to Vascular Discovery: From Genes to Medicine 2023 and to apply for this award.
- The work covered by the abstract must not have been published at the time of abstract submission or presented at a national meeting or world congress before May 9, 2023.
ATVBThe purpose of this award is to encourage underrepresented early career investigators and students from underrepresented groups to participate in the Vascular Discovery: From Genes to Medicine Scientific Sessions.
The applicant must:
- Be a member of the Council on Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology (member account number required to complete award application).
- Be working in any area of research concerned with arteriosclerosis, thrombosis or vascular biology.
- Be in training as an undergraduate or predoctoral student, or a fellow who has completed training only within the last 5 years, or a PhD/MD in the first 5 years after faculty appointment.
- Be accepted for oral or poster presentation at Vascular Discovery: from Genes to Medicine Scientific Sessions 2023.
- The candidate must belong to a group that is underrepresented in biomedical and behavioral science careers that meet the standard NIH definition of minority. Eligibility criteria include: being underrepresented in race/ethnicity (including African Americans, Hispanics, American Indian or Alaskan Native, and Pacific Islander), being an individual with a disability, or coming from a disadvantaged background. Please consult the NIH definition for a comprehensive list of eligible criteria.
- Applicants may apply for a travel award multiple times with different abstracts, as long as the applicant is the presenting author on each abstract. However, an applicant is eligible to receive only one award, even if multiple abstracts are accepted.
- The applicant’s mentor must endorse the application in a supporting statement.
- The work covered by the abstract must not have been published at the time of abstract submission or presented at a national meeting or world congress prior to presentation at the current year's Vascular Discovery: from Genes to Medicine Scientific Sessions. The abstract must comply with the AHA Abstract Submission Guidelines as outlined by the conference program committee.
- Winners are not eligible to reenter the competition in subsequent years.
- Be present at the Vascular Discovery Scientific Sessions to qualify for this award.
- There are no citizenship requirements.
All abstracts submitted for this award will be evaluated for scientific merit by a review committee.
How to Apply
The applicant must:
- Submit an original abstract to the Vascular Discovery Scientific Sessions. The abstract must be in accordance with the rules and regulations for submitting abstracts and must have been submitted by the abstract submission deadline.
- Select the ATVB Diversity Outreach Travel Award during the abstract submission process.
- The following must be submitted by uploading into the abstract submission system (at the "Award Application Materials Upload" step):
- A letter of certification of trainee status.
- A letter from a department chair, advisor or other sponsor, certifying that you meet the eligibility criteria for this award and endorsing the application in a supporting statement.
- A complete curriculum vitae, including bibliography, and clear documentation that the candidate is in training as an undergraduate or predoctoral student, or a fellow who has completed training only within the last four years, or a PhD/MD in the first 5 years after faculty appointment at the time of the award application date.
Several awards ($1,000 each) for conference travel will be made to new investigators in training, i.e., graduate students and postdoctoral fellows.
- For rules and regulations for submitting abstracts to the Vascular Discovery Scientific Sessions, visit 2023 Abstract Submission Guidelines (PDF)
- Join or renew as an AHA Professional Member
- Submit your application at Council Awards Application System
- Instructions for ProposalCentral, the new Council Awards platform
- Council Awards: [email protected]
- Member Services: [email protected]
- Password/Login: [email protected]
- Abstract Submission: [email protected]
Vascular Discovery: From Genes to Medicine
May 10–12, 2023
Boston Marriott Copley Place | Boston, Massachusetts