Sponsored by the Council on Cardiopulmonary, Critical Care, Perioperative and Resuscitation
Award Application Window: April 15–August 16, 2020 at 6 p.m. (Central Time)
The Council on Cardiopulmonary, Critical Care, Perioperative and Resuscitation (3CPR) Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Travel Grants encourage and support the efforts of EMS chiefs, educators and other non-physician EMS leadership and encourage them to participate in Resuscitation Science Symposium (ReSS). These grants provide travel funding to the international forum where resuscitation clinicians and researchers can participate in lively discussion on recent advances related to treating cardiopulmonary arrest and life-threatening traumatic injury. The travel grant also provides complimentary registration for non-physician EMS personnel who have a strong interest in cardiac arrest, CPR and resuscitation care.
- Each applicant for AHA council-sponsored awards, regardless of award category, is eligible to receive only one council-sponsored award per AHA conference per year. (For example, an Emergency Medical Services Travel Grant Awardee will not be eligible to receive a travel grant for the same meeting.)
- Applicants must represent EMS personnel, by meeting the following three criteria: (1) applicant must be a full-time employee of an EMS entity, as noted in the application form and confirmed in the letter of recommendation, (2) applicant must not hold an MD or DO degree, (3) applicant must hold appropriate EMS credentials, at either EMT or paramedic level.
- Notwithstanding the above, the AHA Officers have the discretion to determine eligibility for the award in extraordinary circumstances when there is an issue relating to AHA policy or positions or other potentially controversial issue relating to the positioning or perception of the AHA.
- Through the brief personal statement on the application form, CV and letter of recommendation, the Applicant should demonstrate prior and current interest/commitment to resuscitation care programs and/or CPR training. This can include (but is not limited to) being an active BLS or ACLS instructor, managing resuscitation quality assurance for an EMS entity, or participating in prior or current resuscitation research projects.
- As the goal of this travel grant is to encourage new attendees to attend Scientific Sessions meetings, applicants who have never attended AHA meetings before are particularly encouraged to apply
- Winners are not eligible to re-enter the competition in subsequent years.
- There are no citizenship requirements.
Application will be judged by a panel of AHA volunteers from the 3CPR council. Criteria will include:
- Demonstrated commitment and interest in cardiac arrest, CPR and resuscitation care
- Applicant’s potential to make an impact in out-of-hospital resuscitation care and encourage dissemination of the latest science into EMS, as evidenced by appropriate position in EMS agency and prior accomplishments
- Applicant’s record of EMS accomplishment more generally, as evidenced in CV by length and type of service, awards and citations, etc.
How to Apply/Required Documents
Electronic submission through the Council Awards Application System is required. Hard copies of any part of the application cannot be accepted.
**Candidates may apply for more than one travel award; however, an applicant is eligible to receive only one travel stipend.
The application file should contain the following documents in PDF format:
- Curriculum Vitae / resume (1 page)
- A 1- page Letter of Recommendation (maximum length 1 page) from someone who knows you and can state why it is important that you attend - letter should preferably be from your employer and/or manager and should include a verification statement that you are a full-time EMS employee and that you do not hold an MD or DO degree. Any details regarding your interest or activities related to resuscitation or CPR educational activates would be helpful to include in the letter.
The annual application cycle will take place approximately between April and August. Peer review for all EMS award applications will begin after the August deadline. Finalists and the winner, plus their mentors/supervisors, will be notified by the first week of September in order to make plans to be in attendance at the 3CPR council dinner for the award presentations.
The Leadership Committee of the 3CPR council will be the deliberating body and will review the applications and select the finalists and winner. The 3CPR Program Chair will lead the committee discussion at the teleconference to determine the finalists and winner. These results (after appropriate COI review), will be compiled and then announced by the 3CPR council prior to the submission of the final program for AHA Scientific Sessions.
Visit the Council Awards Application System to complete an application.
A username and password previously set up through online profile registration at Professional Heart Daily will be necessary to access the Application System. If you have not created an online profile yet, please visit Professional Heart Daily to create an online member profile before accessing the Council Awards Application System. AHA Professional Members who are creating an online profile for the first time should make sure to register using their AHA membership identification numbers.
AHA Professional Membership is required of all applicants for this award. If you are joining the AHA to apply, please wait on your AHA membership number to arrive from AHA Member Services via e-mail before creating an online profile and starting your application file. We suggest that new members join the AHA no later than Aug. 16 for the membership number to be processed and delivered in time for the application deadline.
The winners will each receive:
- $1,000 travel grant to help defray travel costs to attend ReSS.
- Complimentary registration to attend Resuscitation Science Symposium.
- One ticket to the 3CPR Council Reception.
- One year complimentary AHA General Professional level membership to the 3CPR Council.
- For rules and regulations for submitting abstracts to the Scientific Sessions, visit Abstract Submission Guidelines (PDF)
- Submit your application at Council Awards System
- Join or renew AHA/ASA Professional Membership