The scientific councils’ Distinguished Achievement Award recognizes individuals who have made major contributions to the affairs of a scientific council over a continuing period, and who have made substantial professional contributions to the field represented by the council.
- Contributions to new knowledge in the field
- Contributions to teaching and/or clinical care in the field
- Professional leadership in national or international organizations
The honoree must be a member of the Council on Lifelong Congenital Heart Disease and Heart Health in the Young (Young Hearts).
The Young Hearts Distinguished Achievement Award is presented every three years during the Young Hearts Council Business Meeting and Awards Dinner at the American Heart Association's Scientific Sessions.
Suggested nominees for the Distinguished Achievement Award may be submitted to the Young Hearts Leadership Committee by email.
- 2021 Pedro J. del Nido, MD, FAHA
- 2018 G. Paul Matherne, MD, FAHA
- 2015 Michael Gewitz, MD, FAHA
- 2012 Stephen Daniels, MD, PhD, FAHA
- 2009 Gail Pearson, MD, ScD, FAHA
- 2006 Dianne Atkins, MD, FAHA
- 2003 Welton Gersony, MD
- 2000 Kathryn A. Taubert, PhD
- 1997 James H. Moller, MD
- 1994 Edward B. Clark, MD
- 1991 Ronald Lauer, MD
- 1988 Edward L. Kaplan, MD
- 1985 William H. Weidman
- 1981 Milton Markowitz, MD
The award will be presented at Scientific Sessions.
The honoree will also receive: