Award submissions are closed and will reopen in May 2022.
The Corcoran Lecture, sponsored by the Council on Hypertension, is presented annually at the AHA Hypertension Scientific Sessions by a distinguished honoree from the field of hypertension.
This honorary lecture was established in 1977 in honor of Arthur Curtis Corcoran. Dr. Corcoran’s major achievement was his early application of clearance methods in both hypertensive patients and animals.
- Must be a member of the AHA Council on Hypertension at the time nomination is submitted. Join or renew today!
- There are no citizenship requirements.
- Previous awardees are not eligible to re-enter the competition in subsequent years.
- There are no citizenship requirements.
- Past recipients of the Lewis K. Dahl Memorial Lecture are not eligible for the Arthur C. Corcoran Memorial Lecture
- Past recipients of the Council on Hypertension Excellence Award in Hypertension Research (and all previous names of the award) are not eligible.
- Notwithstanding the above, the AHA Officers have the discretion to determine eligibility for the award in extraordinary circumstances when there is an issue relating to AHA policy or positions or other potentially controversial issue relating to the positioning or perception of the AHA.
How to Make a Nomination/Required Documents
Electronic submission through the Council Awards Application System is required. Hard copies of any part of the nomination cannot be accepted.
The nomination file (submitted on the nominee’s behalf) should contain the following documents in PDF format:
- Letter of nomination on behalf of the candidate that outlines why the candidate is worthy of recognition. This may include the candidate's accomplishments in the field of hypertension, his or her volunteer activities with the AHA (affiliate and/or national level), teaching and mentoring activities, or a combination of these (members of the selection committee cannot submit letters of nomination).
- Curriculum vitae and including all publications (abstracts not necessary).
- Candidate biography (250 words or less), which may be used for publicity.
Visit the Council Awards & Fellowships Application System to complete a nomination.
A username and password previously set up through online profile registration at Professional Heart Daily will be necessary to access the Application System. If you have not created an online profile yet, please visit Professional Heart Daily to create an online member profile before accessing the Council Awards Application System. AHA Professional Members who are creating an online profile for the first time should make sure to register using their AHA membership identification numbers.
The honoree will present a lecture during the Hypertension Scientific Sessions. The awardee will receive complimentary registration, a $1,000 honorarium, and an engraved plaque.
Honorees presenting in-person at Hypertension Scientific Sessions will be honored at the Annual Council on Hypertension Awards Banquet and will be eligible for certain travel reimbursements:
- Round-trip coach airfare to the conference at the 21-day advance purchase rate
- One-night hotel accommodations at the conference rate
- Ground transportation expenses to attend the conference
- Up to $70 in meal reimbursement
- Two tickets to the Annual Hypertension Scientific Sessions Awards Banquet
- 2021 Markus P. Schlaich, MD, FAHA, FESC, ISHF
- 2020 John Floras, MD, DPhil, FAHA
- 2019 Patrick J. Pagano, PhD, FAHA
- 2018 Virend K. Somers, MD, PhD, FAHA
- 2017 Tomasz J. Guzik, MD, PhD
- 2016 Karen Griffin, MD, FAHA
- 2015 S. Ananth Karumanchi, MD
- 2014 Sadayoshi Ito, MD, PhD
- 2013 Mohan Raizada, BSC, MSc, PhD
- 2012 Robin Davisson, PhD, FAHA
- 2011 Jan Danser, PhD
- 2010 Timothy L. Reudelhuber, PhD
- 2009 Toshiro Fujita, MD
- 2008 Gregory Fink, PhD
- 2007 Curt D. Sigmund, PhD
- 2006 Thomas M. Coffman, MD
- 2005 Carlos Ferrario, MD
- 2004 Anna F. Dominczak, MD
- 2003 Willa A. Hsueh, MD
- 2002 Gordon Williams, MD
- 2001 L. Gabriel Navar, PhD
- 2000 Friedrich Luft, MD
- 1999 Norman K. Hollenberg, MD
- 1998 Suzanne Oparil, MD
- 1997 Alberto Nasjletti, MD
- 1996 Edward D. Frohlich, MD
- 1995 Masashi Yanagisawa, MD PhD
- 1994 Salvador Moncada, MD PhD
- 1993 Haralambos Gavras, MD
- 1992 Stevo Julius, MD
- 1991 Detlev Ganten, MD
- 1990 Hugh E. deWardener, MD
- 1989 Aram V. Chobanian, MD
- 1988 Harriet P. Dustan, MD
- 1987 Edgar Haber, MD
- 1986 Robert J. Lefkowitz, MD
- 1985 Robert C. Tarazi, MD
- 1984 Wai Yiu Cheung, PhD
- 1983 Michael S. Brown, MD
- 1983 Joseph L. Goldstein, MD
- 1982 Pierre L. Corvol, MD
- 1981 Bengt Samuelsson, MD
- 1980 Frederic Bartter, MD
- 1979 E. Eric Muirhead, MD
- 1978 J. Ian S. Robertson, MD
- 1977 Börje Johansson