Arthur C. Corcoran Memorial Lecture
Sponsored by the Council on Hypertension
To qualify for this Hypertension Scientific Sessions award, sponsored by the Council on Hypertension, you must meet the following deadlines:
- May 31, 2023 – Deadline to have an active AHA membership with the Council on Hypertension.
- New Deadline! June 9, 2023, 6 p.m. CDT – Deadline to apply for awards requiring submission in the Council Awards Application System.
The Arthur C. Corcoran Memorial Lecture, sponsored by the Council on Hypertension, is presented annually at the AHA Hypertension Scientific Sessions by a distinguished honoree from the field of hypertension.
This honorary lecture was established in 1977 in honor of Arthur Curtis Corcoran. Dr. Corcoran’s major achievement was his early application of clearance methods in both hypertensive patients and animals.
- 2022 Mark C. Chappell, PhD, FAHA
- 2021 Markus P. Schlaich, MD, FAHA, FESC, ISHF
- 2020 John Floras, MD, DPhil, FAHA
- 2019 Patrick J. Pagano, PhD, FAHA
- 2018 Virend K. Somers, MD, PhD, FAHA
- 2017 Tomasz J. Guzik, MD, PhD
- 2016 Karen Griffin, MD, FAHA
- 2015 S. Ananth Karumanchi, MD
- 2014 Sadayoshi Ito, MD, PhD
- 2013 Mohan Raizada, BSC, MSc, PhD
- 2012 Robin Davisson, PhD, FAHA
- 2011 Jan Danser, PhD
- 2010 Timothy L. Reudelhuber, PhD
- 2009 Toshiro Fujita, MD
- 2008 Gregory Fink, PhD
- 2007 Curt D. Sigmund, PhD
- 2006 Thomas M. Coffman, MD
- 2005 Carlos Ferrario, MD
- 2004 Anna F. Dominczak, MD
- 2003 Willa A. Hsueh, MD
- 2002 Gordon Williams, MD
- 2001 L. Gabriel Navar, PhD
- 2000 Friedrich Luft, MD
- 1999 Norman K. Hollenberg, MD
- 1998 Suzanne Oparil, MD
- 1997 Alberto Nasjletti, MD
- 1996 Edward D. Frohlich, MD
- 1995 Masashi Yanagisawa, MD PhD
- 1994 Salvador Moncada, MD PhD
- 1993 Haralambos Gavras, MD
- 1992 Stevo Julius, MD
- 1991 Detlev Ganten, MD
- 1990 Hugh E. deWardener, MD
- 1989 Aram V. Chobanian, MD
- 1988 Harriet P. Dustan, MD
- 1987 Edgar Haber, MD
- 1986 Robert J. Lefkowitz, MD
- 1985 Robert C. Tarazi, MD
- 1984 Wai Yiu Cheung, PhD
- 1983 Michael S. Brown, MD
- 1983 Joseph L. Goldstein, MD
- 1982 Pierre L. Corvol, MD
- 1981 Bengt Samuelsson, MD
- 1980 Frederic Bartter, MD
- 1979 E. Eric Muirhead, MD
- 1978 J. Ian S. Robertson, MD
- 1977 Börje Johansson
- Must be a member of the AHA Council on Hypertension at the time nomination is submitted. Join or renew today!
- There are no citizenship requirements.
- Previous awardees are not eligible to re-enter the competition in subsequent years.
- There are no citizenship requirements.
- Past recipients of the Lewis K. Dahl Memorial Lecture are not eligible for the Arthur C. Corcoran Memorial Lecture
- Past recipients of the Council on Hypertension Excellence Award in Hypertension Research (and all previous names of the award) are not eligible.
- Notwithstanding the above, the AHA Officers have the discretion to determine eligibility for the award in extraordinary circumstances when there is an issue relating to AHA policy or positions or other potentially controversial issue relating to the positioning or perception of the AHA.
How to Make a Nomination/Required Documents
Electronic submission through the Council Awards Application System is required. Hard copies of any part of the nomination cannot be accepted. Please follow instructions for ProposalCentral, the new Council Awards platform.
Apply Now for the Hypertension Scientific Sessions Mid-Career Achievement Awards and Lectures and select the HTN Arthur C. Corcoran Memorial Lecture from the award drop down list.
The nomination file (submitted on the nominee’s behalf) should contain the following documents in PDF format:
- Letter of nomination on behalf of the candidate and one supporting letter that outlines why the candidate is worthy of recognition. This may include the candidate's accomplishments in the field of hypertension, his or her volunteer activities with the AHA (affiliate and/or national level), teaching and mentoring activities, or a combination of these (members of the selection committee cannot submit letters of nomination).
- Curriculum vitae and including all publications (abstracts not necessary).
Members of the Council on Hypertension Awards Committee are not eligible to write support letters for applicants.
The award will be presented at the Hypertension Scientific Sessions.
The honoree will receive:
- $1,000 honorarium
- Complimentary registration to the Hypertension Scientific Sessions
- One complimentary ticket to the Council Dinner
- Engraved plaque
- Round-trip coach airfare up to $1,200 at the 21-day advance purchase rate to and from the awardee’s home airport to the conference
- Hotel reimbursement (room + tax) for one night at the conference rate
- Ground transportation to and from the awardee’s home airport to the conference
- Meal reimbursement up to $70 (alcohol excluded)
- For rules and regulations for submitting abstracts to the Hypertension Scientific Sessions, visit 2023 Abstract Submission Guidelines (PDF)
- Join or renew as an AHA Professional Member
- Submit your application at Council Awards Application System
- Instructions for ProposalCentral, the new Council Awards platform
- Council Awards: [email protected]
- Member Services: [email protected]
- Password/Login: [email protected]
- Abstract Submission: [email protected]
AHA Professional Members are Difference Makers
Hypertension Scientific Sessions
September 7-10, 2023
Sheraton Boston Hotel | Boston, Massachusetts