To qualify for this Vascular Discovery: From Genes to Medicine award you must meet the following deadlines:
- June 25, 2021 – Deadline to have an active AHA membership with this Council.
- June 28, 2021, 6 p.m. Central Time – Deadline to submit your science to Vascular Discovery: From Genes to Medicine 2021 and to apply for this award.
- The work covered by the abstract must not have been published at the time of abstract submission or presented at a national meeting or world congress before September 22, 2021.
The ATVB Investigator in Training Award recognizes talented early career investigators in training (pre-doctoral and post-doctoral) in arteriosclerosis, thrombosis and vascular biology who are members of the ATVB Council and have potential to become future leaders.
The applicant must
- Be a member of the American Heart Association (membership number required to complete award application).
- All applicants for the award must be members of the Council on Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology.
- Candidates include pre-doctoral trainees and post-doctoral fellows (PhD, DSc, DVM, MD, etc.) actively conducting research in ATVB-related fields. Candidates with an instructor or faculty appointment at the award application date are not eligible.
- Applicants must submit an abstract describing new, unpublished work to Vascular Discovery 2021 and be the first author of the submitted abstract. Abstract must meet the annual conference criteria and be selected for presentation.
- Previous winners are not eligible to apply.
- Finalists from previous years are eligible to reapply if they were not selected as a winner. However, they must re-apply with a different abstract to be considered.
- The work covered by the abstract must not have been published at the time of abstract submission or presented at a national meeting or world congress before September 22, 2021. The abstract must comply with the AHA Abstract Submission Guidelines as outlined by the Vascular Discovery program committee.
- Be present at the Vascular Discovery 2021 Scientific Sessions to qualify for this award.
- An individual may not compete for similar early investigator awards from ATVB at Vascular Discovery or American Heart Association Scientific Sessions with the same abstract submission.
- There are no citizenship requirements.
Prizes will be designated on the basis of scientific merit, quality, and originality of the abstract presentation.
- The finalists will present their poster abstracts during the Vascular Discovery 2021 Scientific Sessions. The winner will receive an engraved plaque and $1,000, plus a $500 stipend to defray travel costs. Other finalists will each receive a plaque and a $500 travel stipend.
How to Apply
The applicant must
- Submit an original abstract to the Vascular Discovery 2021 Scientific Sessions and applicant must be the first author of the submitted abstract. The abstract must be in accordance with the rules and regulations for submitting abstracts and must have been submitted by the abstract submission deadline. Submission dates are April 21, 2021 through June 23, 2021.
- Select the ATVB Investigators in Training Award during the abstract submission process.
- By June 23, 2021, the following must be submitted by uploading into the abstract submission system (at the “Award Application Materials Upload” step):
- A cover letter declaring the application for the ATVB Investigators in Training Award.
- A complete curriculum vitae, including bibliography, and clear documentation demonstrating that the applicant is a pre-doctoral trainee or post-doctoral fellow actively conducting research in ATVB related fields at the time of application (PhD, DSc, DVM, MD, etc). Candidates with an instructor or faculty appointment at the award application date are not eligible.
Applications must be submitted by June 23, 2021.