Award Application Window: April 15–June 19, 2020 at 8 p.m. (Central Time)
The James B. Herrick Award is presented by the American Heart Association's Council on Clinical Cardiology. This award honors a physician whose scientific achievements have contributed profoundly to the advancement and practice of clinical cardiology.
The Herrick Award, consisting of a medallion, is conferred annually during the Council on Clinical Cardiology Annual Dinner and Business Meeting during the Scientific Sessions of the American Heart Association.
In establishing the James B. Herrick Award, the Council on Clinical Cardiology pays homage to a great clinician, as well as to those who have emulated him in advancing the field of cardiology.
Dr. Herrick (1861-1954) was a pioneer among cardiologists. His contributions were many, but perhaps most significant was his classic paper on “Clinical Features of Sudden Obstruction of the Coronary Arteries,” published in 1912. Besides giving the medical world a definitive description of coronary thrombosis, his studies emphasized the important observation that sudden obstruction of a coronary artery is not necessarily fatal.
Dr. Herrick lived to see his investigations confirmed and acclaimed. His life was rich with honors. He served as president of the American Heart Association in 1927-28, and received its Gold Heart Award in 1951.
- 2020 Clyde W, Yancy, MD, MSc, FAHA
- 2019 Keith Copelin Ferdinand, MD, FAHA
- 2018 Judith S. Hochman, MD, FAHA
- 2017 Arthur J. Moss, MD
- 2016 Sidney C. Smith Jr., MD, FAHA
- 2015 Sajiv Kaul, MBBS, FAHA
- 2014 Kanu Chatterjee, MB, FRCP (Lond), FRCP ( Edin), FACC, FCCP, MACP
- 2013 Marc Pfeffer, MD, PhD
- 2012 Bernard Gersh, MB, ChB, D Phil
- 2011 Nanette Wenger, MD
- 2010 Elliott M. Antman, MD
- 2009 Robert Bonow, MD
- 2008 Prediman Krishan (P.K.) Shah, MD
- 2007 David Holmes, Jr., MD
- 2006 Patrick Serruys, MD
- 2005 Bertram Pitt, MD
- 2004 Myron L. Weisfeldt, MD
- 2003 Jay N. Cohn, MD
- 2002 Robert L. Frye, MD
- 2001 Valentin Fuster, MD
- 2000 George A. Beller, MD
- 1999 Thomas N. James, MD
- 1998 Henrick J. J. Wellens, MD
- 1997 Douglas P. Zipes, MD
- 1996 Thomas J. Ryan, MD
- 1995 Richard Gorlin, MD
- 1994 Robert C. Schlant, MD
- 1993 James T. Willerson, MD
- 1992 Burton E. Sobel, MD
- 1991 Thomas W. Smith, MD
- 1990 John Ross, MD
- 1989 Shahbudin H. Rahimtoola, MD
- 1988 Elliot Rapaport, MD
- 1987 Harold T. Dodge, MD
- 1986 Robert A. O’Rourke, MD
- 1985 H.J.C. Swan, MD, PhD
- 1984 T. Joseph Reeves, MD
- 1983 Charles Fisch, MD
- 1982 Richard S. Ross, MD
- 1981 Eugene Braunwald, MD
- 1980 J. Willis Hurst, MD
- 1979 Paul N. Yu, MD
- 1978 W. Proctor Harvey, MD
- 1977 George E. Burch, MD
- 1976 James V. Warren, MD
- 1975 Lewis Dexter, MD
- 1974 Helen B. Taussig, MD
- 1973 Paul Dudley White, MD
- 1972 Howard Burchell, MD
- 1971 Tinsley R. Harrison, MD
- 1970 Eugene A. Stead, Jr., MD
- 1969 Franklin D. Johnston, MD
- 1968 Hermann Blumgart, MD
Any living physician, regardless of specialty, may be nominated. The award is based on the recipient’s contributions to one or more of the following broad areas:
- Advancement of scientific knowledge, either basic or clinical research, that relates directly to clinical cardiology
- Teaching of cardiology at undergraduate, graduate or postgraduate levels
- Improvement in the practice of cardiology
- Service to the mission of the American Heart Association
The Nominating Committee of the council will review nominations submitted by council fellows and make the final recommendation of the recipient.
How to Make a Nomination
Electronic submission through the Council Awards Application System is required. Hard copies of any part of the nomination cannot be accepted. Nominations may only be made by Fellows of the Council on Clinical Cardiology. Past winners of the Herrick Award may not be re-nominated.
Each nomination should contain the following documents in PDF format:
- Nominator’s letter of recommendation which outlines how the nominee meets the award criteria and is deserving of this honor
- Minimum of one to a maximum of three additional letters of support for the nominee. Please compose letters on electronic letterhead, with signatures, if possible.
- Nominee’s curriculum vitae
Nominations of candidates not selected will be automatically carried forward for two additional nomination cycles. The automatic carryover is at the discretion of the nominator. The nominator also has the option to submit an updated nomination letter and curriculum vitae during the two subsequent nomination cycles. These updated materials should be submitted by the nomination deadline. Please contact the Award Manager by the current nomination deadline if you would like to add updated materials to a past nomination.
Visit the Council Awards & Fellowships Application System to complete a nomination.
A username and password previously set up through online profile registration at Professional Heart Daily will be necessary to access the Application System. If you have not created an online profile yet, please visit Professional Heart Daily to create an online partner profile before accessing the Council Awards Application System. AHA Professional Partners who are creating an online profile for the first time should make sure to register using their AHA partner identification numbers.
The Herrick Award honoree will be recognized at the AHA Scientific Sessions at the Annual Dinner of the Council on Clinical Cardiology. The honoree will be invited to present a state-of-the-art lecture at the dinner and will also receive the following:
- Commemorative medallion
- Complimentary registration to Scientific Sessions
- Round-trip coach airfare
- Reimbursement for hotel accommodations for one night, all ground transportation, and subsistence on the day of the award presentation
- Recognition in the Scientific Sessions Final Program, the Scientific Sessions supplement to the October issue of Circulation, and the Scientific Councils' newsletter Council Connections
2012 honoree Bernard Gersh, MB, ChB, DPhil and Council Chair L. Kristin Newby, MD, MHS
Scientific Sessions 2020 @Model.Item.RenderHeadingSizeTag("h2")>
Nov. 13-17, 2020
Join us for a Virtual Experience
American Heart Association Professional Partners @Model.Item.RenderHeadingSizeTag("h2")>
Renew or join as a professional partner today to make a difference.