The Council on Hypertension supports the research efforts of its early career investigator members and rewards them by providing travel assistance for select presenters at its annual conference. This award encourages new investigators to undertake or continue hypertension research and to participate in the conference. The award will be presented to up to 10 qualified new investigators selected to present abstracts at the Hypertension Scientific Sessions 2022.
- All applicants for travel grants sponsored by a scientific council must be members of the AHA/ASA at any level at the time of application. If you need to become an AHA/ASA Professional Member, you should do so before submitting your abstract and award application materials. Join or renew today!
- Applicant must be active in research and still be in training as an undergraduate or pre-doctoral student, or be within 10 years of completing medical fellowship (or residency as NIH states, MDs would be Fellows for 3-6 years of the 7-10), terminal degree or highest certificate (e.g. BSc, MSc).
- During the abstract submission process, applicants must submit the required award documentation and select the award for which they are applying.
- The applicant must be the first/primary author of the abstract.
- Abstracts eligible for this award must be based upon projects that adhere to the American Heart Association’s policies governing all research awards, regardless of whether the project was funded by the American Heart Association. These policies include (but are not limited to) research using human subjects or animals and stem cell research.
- Notwithstanding the above, the AHA Officers have the discretion to determine eligibility for the award in extraordinary circumstances when there is an issue relating to AHA policy or positions or other potentially controversial issue relating to the positioning or perception of the AHA.
- Winners are not eligible to re-enter the competition in subsequent years.
- Winners may only win one type of travel grant or award per conference during the same year.
- There are no citizenship restrictions for this award.
Applications will be judged primarily based on the scientific ranking of the candidate’s abstract. Only abstracts selected for presentation at the Hypertension Scientific Sessions 2022 will be eligible for consideration for this travel grant.
How to Apply/Required Documents
Submit a scientific abstract to the Hypertension Scientific Sessions as well as all supporting award documentation via the conference's abstract submission site by the deadline. The deadline for abstract submissions is May 25, 2022 at 6:00 p.m. CDT.
The following items must be submitted for consideration for this travel grant:
- AHA abstract in accordance with AHA rules and regulations for submitting abstracts to the Hypertension Scientific Sessions 2022.
- Curriculum vitae
- Letter by the candidate's supervisor/mentor attesting the following: the candidate is an early career investigator as outlined in the eligibility criteria; the abstract research was performed primarily by the candidate; he or she is the first author of the abstract, and that the research has not been published or presented elsewhere previously.
AHA membership at any level is required by the candidate by the time the award materials are submitted.
Up to ten awardees will be presented a $750 travel grant at the meeting to help defray travel expenses and complimentary registration to the conference. (NOTE: All funds are awarded after the conference.)
DeadlineAll abstracts and application materials must be received through the Hypertension 2022 Scientific Sessions abstract submitter. Visit Hypertension 2020 for submission info. The deadline for submission is May 25, 2022 at 6:00 p.m. CDT.
AHA Conference Manager