Applicants must submit abstracts to the EPI|Lifestyle 2022 Scientific Sessions, scheduled for March 1–4, 2022 in Chicago, Illinois.
The Abstract and Award Application Deadline is Oct. 13, 2021 at 6:00 p.m. (Central Time).
This award honors the memory of Dr. Mark Bieber, one of the founding members of the American Heart Association Industry Nutrition Forum (formerly known as the Industry Nutrition Advisory Panel), for his significant contributions to the field of nutritional science. The award is designed to recognize an early career investigator for outstanding nutrition-related research. The Council on Lifestyle and Cardiometabolic Health gratefully acknowledges the educational grant provided by the AHA Industry Nutrition Forum for the support of this award.
The winner of the Mark Bieber Award will be chosen from applicants who submit abstracts accepted for presentation at the EPI|Lifestyle Scientific Sessions. The decision will be based on
- the quality of the abstract;
- prior accomplishments, as highlighted in the CV; and
- estimated potential, based on letter(s) of recommendation
The winner will be announced during the conference and will receive a cash prize of $1,000, and up to $1,200 in reimbursement for travel expenses. The winner’s laboratory will be awarded $5,000 for administration by the institution’s Grants and Contracts Department for the winner’s research.
- All applicants must be members of the AHA's Council on Lifestyle and Cardiometabolic Health.
- Applicants must have a doctoral degree and hold a position at the level of assistant professor or post-Doctoral fellow or equivalent for not more than 10 years
- Applicants must submit an abstract to the EPI|Lifestyle Scientific Sessions. The abstract must comply with the Conference's abstract submission guidelines. The abstract may be submitted to any category, but the research must be primarily nutrition-related.
- The abstract must be accepted for presentation (oral or poster) at the meeting and the applicant must be the first author, although the abstract may have co-authors.
- Winners are not eligible to re-enter the competition in subsequent years.
- Winners of this award are not eligible to receive cash compensation from another award during the EPI|Lifestyle Scientific Sessions.
How to Apply
Submit an abstract to EPI|Lifestyle Scientific Sessions by Oct. 13, 2021 at 6:00 p.m. (Central Time) and upload the following documents during the submission process:
- Curriculum vitae including bibliography and detail of research funding to date.
- Letter of recommendation from your immediate supervisor or sponsor (e.g., division head, department chairman or institute director). The letter should confirm your status as an early career investigator and your primary participation in the design and research of the abstract. The letter should also address any other references to your background and experience that should be considered with regard to this award.
- One optional additional letter of support or reference from an individual familiar with your background or research may be submitted.