To qualify for EPI|Lifestyle 2021 Scientific Sessions awards, you must meet the following deadlines:
- October 26, 2020 – Deadline to have an active AHA member account with the sponsoring Council.
- October 26, 2020, 11:59 p.m. CT – Deadline to submit your science to EPI|Lifestyle 2021 Scientific Sessions.
- October 18, 2020, 6 p.m. CT – Deadline to start a draft application for this award. You will have until October 26, 2020 at 6 p.m. CT to complete and submit the application.
AHA Scientific Council Travel Grants recognize promising and outstanding investigators in the early stages of their careers and provide travel assistance for trainees and early career investigators to participate in AHA scientific meetings.
By providing travel support to early career investigators who wish to attend the Annual EPI|Lifestyle Scientific Sessions, the Council on Epidemiology and Prevention (EPI) Early Career Travel Grant honors outstanding new researchers, facilitates active participation in the annual meeting and highlights the benefits of becoming an AHA Professional Member at the early career level. These travel grants will be presented to candidates wishing to attend the EPI|Lifestyle Scientific Sessions.
- All applicants for the EPI Early Career Travel Grant must be members of the EPI Council at the time of application. If you need to become an AHA Professional Member, you should do so no later than October 9 for your member account to be processed in time for the application submission deadline.
- Candidates must be individuals in clinical, research or educational training programs.
- Candidates must also be at the early career stage (graduate students, postdoctoral trainees, or junior faculty up to Assistant Professor)
- Submission of an abstract for the conference is preferred but not required.
- Each recipient of AHA council-sponsored awards, regardless of award category, is eligible to receive only one council-sponsored award each year per AHA scientific meeting. (For example, an Early Career Investigator Award finalist will not be eligible to receive a travel grant for the same meeting.)
- Winners are not eligible to receive a grant for the same award in subsequent years.
- Each applicant for AHA council-sponsored awards, regardless of award category, is eligible to receive only one council-sponsored award per AHA conference per year. (For example, an Early Career Investigator Award finalist will not be eligible to receive a travel grant for the same meeting.)
How To Apply/Required Documents
Electronic submission of application through the Council Awards Application System is required. Hard copies of any part of the application will not be accepted.
Your application file should contain the following documents in PDF format:
- A letter of intent/purpose (not to exceed one page) describing:
- The candidate’s interest in the field of cardiovascular epidemiology.
- A description of relevant CVD epidemiology and prevention activities or research.
- Future career plans.
- A signed letter of endorsement from a department chair, advisor or other sponsor, certifying at a minimum that the applicant meets the eligibility criteria (not to exceed one page). Additional statements of support on the candidate’s behalf are also encouraged in this letter.
- A current CV.
Visit the Council Awards & Fellowships Application System to complete an application.
A username and password set up through online registration at Professional Heart Daily will be necessary to access the Application System. If you have not created an online profile yet, you may register as you enter the Application System by clicking "Sign Up" next to the Log In button on the sign-in page. AHA Professional Members who are creating an online profile for the first time should make sure to register using their AHA member identification numbers.
And active AHA Professional Member account is required of all applicants for this award. If you are joining the AHA to apply, please wait on your AHA member number to arrive from AHA Member Services via e-mail before creating an online profile and starting your application file. We suggest that new members join the AHA no later than October 9 for the member number to be processed and delivered in time for the application deadline.
Awardees will be notified in January. The council will award up to 5 recipients $1,000 each to cover eligible transportation and hotel costs to attend the EPI|Lifestyle Scientific Sessions. Conference registration costs and meals at the conference are not covered under this grant. Grants will be issued after the conference upon submission of your financial forms to the AHA.
Awardees must attend the Epidemiology and Prevention Council’s Annual Dinner at the conference to receive the award.
All applications must be submitted through the Council Awards Application System during the submission period.