To qualify for this Vascular Discovery: From Genes to Medicine award you must meet the following deadlines:
- January 3, 2024 – Deadline to have an active AHA membership with this Council.
- January 17, 2024, 6 p.m. Central US Time – Deadline to submit your science to Vascular Discovery: From Genes to Medicine and to apply for this award.
- The work covered by the abstract must not have been published at the time of abstract submission or presented at a national meeting or world congress before May 15, 2024.
The ATVB Travel Grants for Early Career Investigators encourage and support the efforts of early career investigators in cardiovascular research and encourage participation in ATVB and AHA activities by providing travel funds to attend the Vascular Discovery: From Genes to Medicine Scientific Sessions, present research in oral or poster format, and engage in discussion with senior investigators.
- Be a member of the Council on Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology (membership number required to complete award application).
- Be working in any area of research concerned with arteriosclerosis, thrombosis or vascular biology.
- Be in training as an undergraduate or predoctoral student, or a fellow who has completed training only within the last 5 years, or a PhD/MD in the first 5 years after faculty appointment.
- Be accepted for oral or poster presentation at Vascular Discovery 2024.
- Applicants may apply for a travel award multiple times with different abstracts, as long as the applicant is the presenting author on each abstract. However, an applicant is eligible to receive only one award, even if multiple abstracts are accepted.
- The applicant’s mentor must endorse the application in a supporting statement.
- The work covered by the abstract must not have been published at the time of abstract submission or presented at a national meeting or world congress before May 15, 2024. The abstract must comply with the AHA Abstract Submission Guidelines as outlined by the conference program committee.
- Winners are not eligible to reenter the competition in subsequent years.
- Be present at the Vascular Discovery 2024 Scientific Sessions to qualify for this award.
- There are no citizenship requirements.
Several awards ($1,000 each) for conference travel will be made to new investigators in training, i.e., graduate students and postdoctoral fellows.
All abstracts submitted for this award will be evaluated for scientific merit by a review committee. Notification of the competition results will be made in March 2024.
How to Apply
- Submit an original abstract to the Vascular Discovery 2024 Scientific Sessions and applicant must be the first author of the submitted abstract. The abstract must be in accordance with the rules and regulations for submitting abstracts and must have been submitted by the abstract deadline.
- Select the ATVB Travel Grants for Early Career Investigators for Vascular Discovery Award during the abstract submission process.
- The following must be submitted by uploading into the abstract submission system (at the “Award Application Materials Upload” step):
- A letter of certification of trainee status.
- A letter from a department chair, advisor or other sponsor, certifying that you meet the eligibility criteria for this award and endorsing the application in a supporting statement.
- A complete curriculum vitae, including bibliography, and clear documentation that the candidate is in training as an undergraduate or predoctoral student, or a fellow who has completed training only within the last 5 years, or a PhD/MD in the first 5 years after faculty appointment at the time of the award application date.