The ATVB Travel Awards for Young Investigators encourage and support the efforts of early career investigators in cardiovascular research and encourage participation in ATVB and AHA activities by providing travel funds to attend Vascular Discovery: From Genes to Medicine Scientific Sessions, present research in oral or poster format, and engage in discussion with senior investigators.
- Applicants must be a member of the Council on Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology (membership number required to complete award application).
- Be working in any area of research concerned with arteriosclerosis, thrombosis or vascular biology.
- Be in training as an undergraduate or predoctoral student, or a fellow who has completed training only within the last four years, or a PhD/MD in the first four years after faculty appointment.
- Be accepted for oral or poster presentation at Vascular Discovery.
- Applicants may apply for a travel award multiple times with different abstracts, as long as the applicant is the presenting author on each abstract. However, an applicant is eligible to receive only one award, even if multiple abstracts are accepted.
- The applicant's mentor must endorse the application in a supporting statement.
- The work covered by the abstract must not have been published at the time of abstract submission, or presented at a national meeting or world congress before the conference. The abstract must comply with the AHA Abstract Submission Guidelines as outlined by the Vascular Discovery Program Committee.
- Be present at the Vascular Discovery Scientific Session to qualify for this award.
- There are no citizenship requirements
All abstracts submitted for this award will be evaluated for scientific merit by a review committee. Notification of the competition results will be made in March.
How to Apply
- Submit an original abstract to the Vascular Discovery: From Genes to Medicine Scientific Sessions. The abstract must be in accordance with the rules and regulations for submitting abstracts and must have been submitted by the abstract submission deadline.
- Select the ATVB Travel Grant during the abstract submission process.
- The following must be submitted by uploading into the abstract submission system (at the “Award Application Materials Upload” step):
- A letter of certification of trainee status.
- A letter from the applicant's mentor endorsing the application in a supporting statement.
- A complete curriculum vitae, including bibliography, and clear documentation that the candidate is in training as an undergraduate or predoctoral student, or a fellow who has completed training only within the last four years, or a PhD/MD in the first four years after faculty appointment at the time of the award application date.
Applications are closed and will reopen in November 2020
Several awards ($1,000 each) for conference travel will be made to new investigators in training, i.e., graduate students and postdoctoral fellows.
Conference Manager, Julie Green