ATVB Travel Grants for Early Career Investigators for Vascular Discovery
Sponsored by the Council on Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology
To qualify for this Vascular Discovery: From Genes to Medicine award you must meet the following deadlines:
- January 6, 2023 – Deadline to have an active AHA membership with this Council.
- January 18, 2023, 6 p.m. Central Time – Deadline to submit your science to Vascular Discovery: From Genes to Medicine 2023 and to apply for this award.
- The work covered by the abstract must not have been published at the time of abstract submission or presented at a national meeting or world congress before May 9, 2023.
The ATVB Travel Grants for Early Career Investigators encourage and support the efforts of early career investigators in cardiovascular research and encourage participation in ATVB and AHA activities by providing travel funds to attend the Vascular Discovery: From Genes to Medicine Scientific Sessions, present research in oral or poster format, and engage in discussion with senior investigators.
- Be a member of the Council on Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology (membership number required to complete award application).
- Be working in any area of research concerned with arteriosclerosis, thrombosis or vascular biology.
- Be in training as an undergraduate or predoctoral student, or a fellow who has completed training only within the last 5 years, or a PhD/MD in the first 5 years after faculty appointment.
- Be accepted for oral or poster presentation at Vascular Discovery 2023.
- Applicants may apply for a travel award multiple times with different abstracts, as long as the applicant is the presenting author on each abstract. However, an applicant is eligible to receive only one award, even if multiple abstracts are accepted.
- The applicant’s mentor must endorse the application in a supporting statement.
- The work covered by the abstract must not have been published at the time of abstract submission or presented at a national meeting or world congress before May 9, 2023. The abstract must comply with the AHA Abstract Submission Guidelines as outlined by the conference program committee.
- Winners are not eligible to reenter the competition in subsequent years.
- Be present at the Vascular Discovery 2023 Scientific Sessions to qualify for this award.
- There are no citizenship requirements.
Several awards ($1,000 each) for conference travel will be made to new investigators in training, i.e., graduate students and postdoctoral fellows.
All abstracts submitted for this award will be evaluated for scientific merit by a review committee. Notification of the competition results will be made in March 2023.
How to Apply
Electronic submission through the Council Awards Application System is required. Hard copies of any part of the application cannot be accepted.
** Candidates may apply for more than one travel grant; however, an applicant is eligible to receive only one travel grant.
Your application file should contain the following documents in PDF format:
- Candidate Curriculum Vitae and Bibliography
- Previously unpublished abstract in accordance with AHA rules and regulations for submitting abstracts to Scientific Sessions. The abstract should be submitted to Scientific Sessions before applying for this grant as your abstract control number will be needed on the application form.
- Original letter on electronic letterhead, signed by the candidate’s supervisor or an appropriate institutional officer, simply indicating the applicant’s status as a graduate student, postdoctoral fellow, instructor, or research fellow. No additional references are required.
Visit the Council Awards Application System to complete an application.
A username and password previously set up through online profile registration at Professional Heart Daily will be necessary to access the Application System. If you have not created an online profile yet, please visit Professional Heart Daily to create an online member profile before accessing the Council Awards Application System. AHA Professional Members who are creating an online profile for the first time should make sure to register using their AHA membership identification numbers.
AHA Professional Membership is required of all applicants for this grant. If you are joining the AHA to apply, please wait on your AHA membership number to arrive from AHA Member Services via e-mail before creating an online profile and starting your application file. We suggest that new members join the AHA at least 1 week prior to the application submission deadline. The membership number will be required on the award application form.
Vascular Discovery: From Genes to Medicine
May 10–12, 2023
Boston Marriott Copley Place | Boston, Massachusetts