Become a Science Volunteer
Interested in getting involved with the Council on Cardiovascular Radiology and Interventio (CVRI)? To help us identify opportunities for you in the organization, tell us about yourself.
A critical component of early career development and training is mentorship. The following resources can help identify an appropriate mentor and evaluate the mentor-trainee relationship.
- Early Career Mentorship Resources
- Academic Mentoring - How to Give It and How to Get It
Detsky AS, Baerlocher MO. JAMA. 2007 May 16;297(19):2134-6. No abstract available. PMID: 17507350 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Choosing a Mentor: What goes into the Decision (PDF)
- Building Your Mentor Network (PDF)
- How to Develop an Effective Mentor and Mentee Relationship (PDF)
- Scientific Presentations: Abstracts, Oral sessions and Posters (PDF)
Mintu Turakhia, MD and Stephen Hulley, MD, MPH UCSF School of Medicine
Writing and Funding Presentations
- Applying for Funding as an Early Career (PDF)
- Early Career Sessions: 10 Ways to Improve Your Scientific Writing (PDF)
- K99/R00 Grants: Insights into the Review Process and What Reviewers Look For (PDF)
J. Gary Meszaros
- Choosing a Target Journal (PDF)
Job Search Presentations
- You've Been Contacted for an Interview (PDF)
- The Job Application Process: Tips for Finding and Applying for Job Openings (PDF)
- Experiences from the Trenches of Hard Money (PDF)
- Clinical and Scientific Opportunities in the VA System (PDF) Mintu Turakhia
- What You Should Know on the 1st Day (PDF)
- Fellow to Faculty Transitions (PDF)
- Epidemiology and Observational Studies (PDF)
- Why Clinical Medicine and Research? (PDF)
- Update on the Pediatric Heart Network and How to Get Involved (PDF)
Kristin M. Burns
American Heart Association Grants
Student and Predoctoral Fellowship Opportunities
- Predoctoral Fellowship
Helps students initiate careers in cardiovascular and stroke research by providing research assistance and training.
Offered by: Founders, Greater Southeast, Midwest, SouthWest, and Western States Affiliates
Career Stage: Gaining credentials – doctoral student
Post Doctoral Research Training
- Postdoctoral Fellowship
Helps trainees initiate careers in cardiovascular and stroke research while obtaining significant research results under the supervision of a sponsor or mentor; supports individuals before they are ready for some stage of independent research.
Offered by: Founders, Great Rivers, Greater Southeast, Midwest, SouthWest, and Western States Affiliates
Career Stage: Directed step - postdoctoral fellow
National Institutes of Health (NIH) Grants
NIH: Post-Doctoral Research Training
CVD Epidemiology Research Training
- About the NRSA Programs; T32 vs. F32, etc.
Programs are available at the following institutions:
- Brigham and Women's Hospital
- Case Western Reserve University
- Johns Hopkins University
- North Carolina State University
- Northwestern University
- University of Alabama at Birmingham
- University of California San Diego
- University of Minnesota
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- University of Rochester
- University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Wake Forest University School of Medicine
NIH: Career Development Awards for Physicians
- For individuals with a health-professional doctorate
- Career Award Wizard: Helps you select the right career award
- K23: Mentored Patient-Oriented Research Career Development Award.
Development of the independent research scientist in the clinical arena. 3-5 yrs, 75 percent commitment.
- K08: Mentored Clinical Scientist Research Career Development Award.
Development of the independent clinical research scientist. 3-5 yrs; 75 percent effort.
NIH: Career Development Awards for Research Doctorates: NIH
Epidemiology and Prevention | Lifestyle and Cardiometabolic Health Scientific Sessions
February 28–March 3, 2023
Omni Boston Seaport, Boston, Massachusetts
Council Awards and Lectures
The AHA scientific council awards acknowledge significant achievements in cardiovascular diseases and stroke, ranging from basic research to service to the councils and the association. These awards recognize the achievements of researchers, scientists, clinicians, nurses and allied health professionals throughout their careers. They also provide opportunities for financial rewards, special presentations and funding to attend Scientific Sessions and other AHA scientific meetings.
The Council on Cardiovascular Radiology and Intervention proudly sponsors an early career investigator award and travel grants to the AHA Scientific Sessions for its members as well as a medical student scholarship. Each award acknowledges the outstanding work and research being performed by CVRI Council members and encourages further participation in the AHA and its mission.
- Lecture and Awards presented at the AHA Scientific Sessions
- Medical Student Scholarship
Science Social Media
- AHA Meetings
- AHA Research
- AHA Science
- Circulation: Arrhythmia and Electrophysiology
- Circulation: Cardiovascular Imaging
- Circulation: Cardiovascular Interventions
- Circulation: Cardiovascular Quality and Outcomes
- Circulation: Genomic and Precision Medicine
- Circulation: Heart Failure
- Circulation Research