To qualify for Scientific Sessions 2021 awards you must meet these deadlines.
Please carefully check the eligibility and application requirements for each award
- June 11, 2021 – Deadline to have an active AHA membership with Council sponsoring the award.
- June 14, 2021, 6 p.m. CDT – Deadline to apply for awards requiring submission in the Council Awards Application System. NOTE: This deadline does not correspond with the deadline for abstract submission in 2021*.
- June 17, 2021, 6 p.m. CDT – Abstract deadline extension to submit your science Scientific Sessions 2021.
*The abstract deadline has been extended to June 17, 2021, 6 p.m. CDT. Awardees will be selected from applications submitted in the Council Awards Application System by the June 14 deadline. Your abstract control number is required for submission.
The Council on Cardiovascular Surgery and Anesthesia (CVSA) is offering the CVSA Resident Prize to early career investigators, fellows and students who will be presenting research at the AHA’s Scientific Sessions. The grant honors accomplished students and early career investigators while enabling them to be more involved in the AHA and Scientific Sessions.
- 2020 - Kanika Kalra
- 2020 - Michael A. Catalano
- 2020 - Derrick Y. Tam
- 2020 - Lise Tchouta
- 2019 - Lee Dae Hyun
- 2019 - Lee Shin Rong
- 2019 - Zhu Yuanjia
- 2018 - Ohad Oren
- 2018 - Yajie Tang
- 2018 - Hanjay Wang
Applicant must be active in research and still be in training as an undergraduate or pre-doctoral student, or a fellow who has completed training only within the last four years; or be a PhD/MD in the first four years after faculty appointment.
- All applicants and applicant sponsors for Early Career Investigator Awards sponsored by a scientific council must be members of the AHA. If you need to become an AHA Professional Member, you should do so no later than one week prior to the application submission deadline for your member account to be processed in time for the application submission deadline. Learn more about becoming an AHA Professional Membership.
- Abstract must be submitted to one of the categories for presentation at Scientific Sessions in which the Council on Cardiovascular Surgery and Anesthesia is the lead/primary sponsor. Make sure that your abstract has been submitted in a category listed under the award for which you want to apply. View a list of Scientific Sessions Council Awards and Travel Grants Available by Abstract Category and Community (PDF).
- An individual may not compete for similar early career investigator awards from the other American Heart Association scientific councils during the same scientific meeting.
- Only one application per candidate will be considered.
- The applicant must be the first and presenting author, although the manuscript may have co-authors. The presenting author of an accepted abstract must be registered for Scientific Sessions. Additional information about registration and fees may be found on the Scientific Sessions website.
- Winners are not eligible to re-enter the competition in subsequent years.
- There are no citizenship requirements.
- Abstract results and presentations (abstract or manuscript) are prohibited from release until the AHA embargo date and time (5 a.m. ET/4 a.m. CT, Monday, November 8, 2021). You will be contacted by AHA communications if you are selected to participate in an AHA news event.
- The case may not be presented at a national or international meeting or world congress before the date and time of presentation at Scientific Sessions.
- The case abstract must comply with the AHA Abstract Submission Guidelines as outlined by the Committee on Scientific Sessions Program.
- Abstracts/manuscripts eligible for this award must be based upon projects that adhere to the American Heart Association’s policies governing all research awards, regardless of whether the project was funded by the American Heart Association. These policies are available here and include (but are not limited to) research using human subjects or animals and stem cell research.
- Notwithstanding the above, the AHA Officers have the discretion to determine eligibility for the award in extraordinary circumstances when there is an issue relating to AHA policy or positions or other potentially controversial issue relating to the positioning or perception of the AHA.
How to Apply / Required Documents
Electronic submission through the Council Awards Application System is required. Hard copies of any part of the application will not be accepted.
Your application file should contain the following documents in PDF format:
- Curriculum vitae
- An unpublished manuscript based on independent research. The work covered by the submitted abstract must not have been presented at a national or international meeting before presentation at the AHA scientific event. If so, the abstract must be withdrawn.
- Candidate's personal statement (no longer than one page, double-spaced), outlining the following:
- The applicant should provide a synopsis of their current research and future career aspirations.
- How receipt of the CVSA Resident Prize Award will enhance future long-term goals.
Visit the Council Awards & Fellowships Application System to complete an application.
A username and password set up through online registration at Professional Heart Daily will be necessary to access the Application System. If you have not created an online profile yet, you may register as you enter the Application System by clicking "Sign Up" next to the Log In button on the sign-in page. AHA Professional Members who are creating an online profile for the first time should make sure to register using their AHA member identification numbers.
An active AHA Professional Membership is required of all applicants for this award.
The top candidates for the CVSA Resident Prize will present their research results at Scientific Sessions. The winners will each receive a $1,000 travel grant for use in attending Scientific Sessions. Up to 5 awards from the pool of eligible applicants may be presented. Winners will also receive a complimentary ticket to attend the CVSA Annual Business Meeting at Scientific Sessions and a certificate.