Interested in getting involved with the CVSA Council? To help us identify opportunities for you in the organization, tell us about yourself. Complete the Science Volunteer online form.
A critical component of early career development and training is mentorship. The following resources can help identify an appropriate mentor and evaluate the mentor-trainee relationship.
- AHA Mentoring Handbook, 2003 (PDF)
- Academic Mentoring - How to Give It and How to Get It
Detsky AS, Baerlocher MO. JAMA. 2007 May 16;297(19):2134-6. No abstract available. PMID: 17507350 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Mentoring Presentations - Early Career Day - Scientific Sessions
- Choosing a Mentor: What goes into the Decision (PDF)
- Building Your Mentor Network (PDF)
- How to Develop an Effective Mentor and Mentee Relationship (PDF)
- Scientific Presentations: Abstracts, Oral sessions and Posters (PDF)
Mintu Turakhia, MD and Stephen Hulley, MD, MPH UCSF School of Medicine
Abstract Information for AHA Meetings
Epidemiology and Prevention | Lifestyle and Cardiometabolic Health Scientific Sessions
- Abstract Submission Guidelines for Scientific Sessions (PDF)
- Best Practices for Writing Abstracts (PDF)
- The most up-to-date information can be found on the Submit Science page.
Writing and Funding Presentations - Early Career Day - Scientific Sessions
- Applying for Funding as an Early Career (PDF)
- Early Career Sessions: 10 Ways to Improve Your Scientific Writing (PDF) Robert Harrington
- K99/R00 Grants: Insights into the Review Process and What Reviewers Look For (PDF)
J. Gary Meszaros
- Choosing a Target Journal (PDF)
Job Search Presentations - Early Career Day - Scientific Sessions
- You've Been Contacted for an Interview (PDF)
- The Job Application Process: Tips for Finding and Applying for Job Openings (PDF)
- Experiences from the Trenches of Hard Money (PDF)
- Clinical and Scientific Opportunities in the VA System (PDF)
Other Presentations - Early Career Day - Scientific Sessions
- What You Should Know on the 1st Day (PDF)
- Fellow to Faculty Transitions (PDF)
- Epidemiology and Observational Studies (PDF)
- Why Clinical Medicine and Research? (PDF)
- Update on the Pediatric Heart Network and How to Get Involved (PDF)
Kristin M. Burns
American Heart Association Grants
Student and Predoctoral Fellowship Opportunities
Predoctoral Fellowship - Helps students initiate careers in cardiovascular and stroke research by providing research assistance and training.
Career Stage: Gaining credentials – doctoral student
Post-Doctoral Research Training
Postdoctoral Fellowship - Helps trainees initiate careers in cardiovascular and stroke research while obtaining significant research results under the supervision of a sponsor or mentor; supports individuals before they are ready for some stage of independent research.
Career Stage: Directed step - postdoctoral fellow
National Institutes of Health (NIH) Grants
CVD Epidemiology Research Training
- About the NRSA Programs; T32 vs. F32, etc.
Programs are available at the following institutions:
- Brigham and Women's Hospital
- Case Western Reserve University
- Johns Hopkins University
- North Carolina State University
- Northwestern University
- University of Alabama at Birmingham
- University of California San Diego
- University of Minnesota
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- University of Rochester
- University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Wake Forest University School of Medicine
NIH: Career Development Awards for Physicians
- NIH Early Research Career Development
- Career Award Wizard*: Helps you select the right career award
- K23: Mentored Patient-Oriented Research Career Development Award. Development of the independent research scientist in the clinical arena. 3-5 yrs, 75 percent commitment.
- K08: Mentored Clinical Scientist Research Career Development Award. Development of the independent clinical research scientist. 3-5 yrs; 75 percent effort.
Career Development Awards for Research Doctorates: NIH
Council Awards & Lectures
The AHA/ASA scientific council awards acknowledge significant achievements in cardiovascular diseases and stroke, ranging from basic research to service to the councils and the association. These awards recognize the achievements of researchers, scientists, clinicians, nurses and allied health professionals throughout their careers. They also provide opportunities for financial rewards, special presentations and funding to attend Scientific Sessions and other AHA scientific meetings.
- Early Career
- Career Achievement
- Travel Stipends
- Lifetime Achievement
Visit Council Awards and Lectures for full details.
Cardiovascular Surgery and Anesthesia Awards
The Council on Cardiovascular Surgery and Anesthesia (CVSA) proudly sponsors awards to the AHA Scientific Sessions and a student scholarship, each of which honors researchers, early career investigators and medical students. Please click on an award below for more information, including eligibility criteria and application instructions.
- Lecture and Awards presented at the AHA Scientific Sessions
- Medical Student Scholarship
Visit CVSA Awards and Lectures for a full list of available awards and lectures.
Science Social Media
Science Social Media
- AHA Meetings
- AHA Research
- AHA Science
- Circulation: Arrhythmia and Electrophysiology
- Circulation: Cardiovascular Imaging
- Circulation: Cardiovascular Interventions
- Circulation: Cardiovascular Quality and Outcomes
- Circulation: Genomic and Precision Medicine
- Circulation: Heart Failure
- Circulation Research