Award for Support of Underrepresented Minorities
Sponsored by the Council on Hypertension and the Council on Kidney Disease in Cardiovascular Disease
To qualify for this Hypertension Scientific Sessions award you must meet the following deadlines:
- May 23, 2023 – Deadline to have an active AHA membership with this Council.
- May 25, 2023, 6 p.m. CDT – Deadline to submit your science to Hypertension Scientific Sessions and to apply for this award.
The Council on Hypertension and the Council on Kidney in Cardiovascular Disease are sponsoring this award to the American Heart Association’s Hypertension Scientific Sessions. This award supports minority early career investigators and students. Increased minority participation at AHA scientific conferences is vital to address hypertension and kidney related health disparities.
Applications will be judged primarily based on the scientific ranking of the candidate's abstract. Only abstracts selected for presentation at the Hypertension Scientific Sessions will be eligible for consideration for this award.
How to Apply/Required Documents
(Please note: All documents listed must be included with the abstract submission. Incomplete applications will not be considered)
Submit a scientific abstract to the Hypertension Scientific Sessions as well as all supporting award documentation via the conference's abstract submission site by the deadline.
The following items must be submitted for consideration for this award:
- A brief letter of recommendation by a mentor, section chief or department chair verifying the candidates eligibility including verification that he or she is part of a minority group as defined by the NIH and identification of the candidate's specific minority status.
- Curriculum vitae, including biography.
AHA membership at any level is required by the candidate by the time the award materials are submitted.
All abstracts and application materials must be received through the Hypertension Scientific Sessions abstract submitter. Visit Hypertension Scientific Sessions for submission info.
- Awardee(s) will be notified after abstract acceptance notifications have been finalized. The award will be presented to one or more applicants and includes a cash prize in the amount of $750 USD to offset the cost of travel and complimentary registration to the conference. (Note: all funds are awarded after the conference). There may be an opportunity for the top awardee to present in an oral session.
- Awardee(s) must be the presenting author and attend the meeting to receive the award.
AHA Conference Manager
Hypertension Scientific Sessions
September 7-10, 2023
Sheraton Boston Hotel | Boston, Massachusetts