To qualify for Scientific Sessions 2021 Travel Grants you must meet these deadlines.
Please carefully check the eligibility and application requirements for each award.
- June 17, 2021, 6 p.m. CDT – Deadline to submit your general science abstract to Scientific Sessions 2021.
- August 6, 2021 – Deadline to have an active AHA membership with Council sponsoring the award.
- August 13, 2021, 6 p.m. CDT – Deadline to apply for awards requiring submission in Council Awards Application System.
The Council on Cardiopulmonary, Critical Care, Perioperative and Resuscitation (3CPR) Junior Investigator Travel Grants encourage and support the efforts of junior investigator council members in cardiovascular research and encourage young investigators, women and under-represented minorities to participate in council and AHA activities. These grants provide travel funding to the AHA's Scientific Sessions for outstanding early career investigators who have been invited to present their research.
- All applicants for the travel grant must be members of the 3CPR Council at the time of application. If you need to become an AHA/ASA Professional Member, you should do so no later than one week prior to the application submission deadline. Learn more about AHA membership.
- Each applicant for AHA council-sponsored awards, regardless of award category, is eligible to receive only one council-sponsored award per AHA conference per year. (For example, an Early Career Investigator Award finalist will not be eligible to receive a travel grant for the same meeting.)
- Applicants must be undergraduates, pre-doctoral students, early career investigators or trainees. Early career investigators are considered to be PhDs and/or MDs who are still in training (i.e., residency, fellowship, etc.) or have completed training only within the last four years; or PhDs and/or MDs who are still within in the first four years after their first faculty appointment, as of the award application date.
- Applicants must submit an abstract to AHA Scientific Sessions by the abstract submission deadline. The abstract must comply with the Abstract Submission Guidelines as outlined by the Committee on Scientific Sessions Program. Please visit Scientific Sessions to submit an abstract before submitting a travel grant application. You will need your abstract control number to apply for the grant.
- Applicants must submit an abstract in accordance with the rules and regulations for submitting abstracts to the AHA Scientific Sessions to one of the categories primarily sponsored by the 3CPR Council. Please view a list of Scientific Sessions Council Awards and Travel Grants Available by Abstract Category and Community (PDF).
- Your abstract must be accepted in a 3CPR-sponsored category to be eligible to apply for this specific grant. Abstract presenters will be notified in August. The applicant must be able to present the abstract at the AHA Scientific Sessions, either in an oral abstract session or a poster session. If the applicant is unable to present the abstract, he/she will be disqualified from the grant.
- The presenting author of an accepted abstract must be registered for Scientific Sessions. Additional information about registration and fees may be found on the Scientific Sessions website.
- Abstracts/manuscripts eligible for this award must be based upon projects that adhere to the American Heart Association’s policies governing all research awards, regardless of whether the project was funded by the American Heart Association. These policies are available here and include (but are not limited to) research using human subjects or animals and stem cell research.
- Notwithstanding the above, the AHA Officers have the discretion to determine eligibility for the award in extraordinary circumstances when there is an issue relating to AHA policy or positions or other potentially controversial issue relating to the positioning or perception of the AHA.
- Applicant must be working in any area of research concerned with aspects of cardiopulmonary, perioperative, resuscitation, or critical care biology.
- Applicants may apply for a travel grant multiple times with different abstracts, as long as the applicant is the presenting author on each abstract. However, an applicant is eligible to receive only one travel grant, even if multiple abstracts are accepted to Scientific Sessions.
- Winners are not eligible to re-enter the competition in subsequent years.
- There are no citizenship requirements.
Application will be judged based on the scientific ranking of the candidate’s abstract and how it ranks against other applicants. Abstract presenters for Scientific Sessions will be notified in mid-August. Applicants for this grant may submit their applications before presenter notifications are received. However, only those who have abstracts accepted for presentation will ultimately be eligible to receive a travel grant.
How To Apply/Required Documents
Electronic submission through the Council Awards Application System is required. Hard copies of any part of the application cannot be accepted.
**Candidates may apply for more than one travel grant; however, an applicant is eligible to receive only one travel grant.
Your application file should contain the following documents in PDF format:
- Previously unpublished abstract in accordance with AHA rules and regulations for submitting abstracts to Scientific Sessions. The abstract should first be submitted to Scientific Sessions before applying for this award. Your abstract control number will be needed for the travel grant application form. You may submit the travel grant application before you are notified of whether your abstract has been accepted to Scientific Sessions, but only accepted abstracts will be eligible to win.
- Original letter on electronic letterhead, signed by the candidate’s supervisor or an appropriate institutional officer, simply verifying the applicant’s eligibility to be considered for the travel grant as a student, postdoctoral fellow, or early career investigator as outlined in the award criteria. No additional references are required.
Visit the Council Awards Application System to complete an application.
A username and password previously set up through online profile registration at Professional Heart Daily will be necessary to access the Application System. If you have not created an online profile yet, please visit Professional Heart Daily to create an online member profile before accessing the Council Awards Application System. AHA Professional Members who are creating an online profile for the first time should make sure to register using their AHA member identification numbers.
An active AHA Professional Membership is required of all applicants for this award. If you are joining the AHA to apply, please wait on your AHA membership number to arrive from AHA Member Services via e-mail before creating an online profile and starting your application file. We suggest that new members join the AHA at least one week prior to the award application deadline for the member number to be processed and delivered in time for the application deadline. The member ID number will be required on the award application form
PrizeThe winners will each receive a $500 travel grant to use to help defray travel costs to attend Scientific Sessions and present their research. Up to six grants from the pool of eligible applicants may be presented.