The scientific councils’ Distinguished Achievement Award recognizes individuals who have made major contributions to the affairs of the Council on Epidemiology and Prevention (EPI) over a continuing period, and who have made substantial professional contributions to the field represented by the council. The latter could be:
- Contributions to new knowledge in the field
- Contributions to teaching and/or clinical care in the field
- Professional leadership in national or international organizations
The honoree should be a present or past member of a scientific council of the American Heart Association.
The EPI Distinguished Achievement Award is presented every three years during the EPI|Lifestyle Joint Council Awards Reception and Dinner at the American Heart Association's Scientific Sessions.
Suggested nominees for the Distinguished Achievement Award should be presented to the EPI Leadership Committee.
- 2020 Darwin R. Labarthe, MD, MPH, PhD, FAHA
- 2017 David C. Goff, Jr., MD, PhD, FAHA
- 2014 Mary Cushman, MD, MSc
- 2011 Gregory L. Burke, MD, FAHA
- 2008 Michael Criqui, MD, MPH, FAHA,
- 2005 Russell Luepker, MD, FAHA
- 2002 Lewis Kuller, MD, FAHA
- 1999 Henry Blackburn, MD
- 1996 Elizabeth Barrett-Connor
- 1993 H. Alfred Tyroler, MD
- 1990 Thomas Dawber, MD
- 1987 Jeremiah Stamler, MD
- 1984 Oglesby Paul, MD