The scientific councils’ Distinguished Achievement Award recognizes individuals who have made major contributions to the affairs of the Council on Epidemiology and Prevention (EPI) over a continuing period, and who have made substantial professional contributions to the field represented by the council. The latter could be:
- Contributions to new knowledge in the field
- Contributions to teaching and/or clinical care in the field
- Professional leadership in national or international organizations
The honoree should be a present or past member of a scientific council of the American Heart Association.
The EPI Distinguished Achievement Award is presented every three years during the EPI|Lifestyle Joint Council Awards Reception and Dinner at the American Heart Association's Scientific Sessions.
Suggested nominees for the Distinguished Achievement Award should be presented to the EPI Leadership Committee by email.
- 2021 Daniel T. Lackland, DrPH, FAHA
- 2020 Darwin R. Labarthe, MD, MPH, PhD, FAHA
- 2017 David C. Goff, Jr., MD, PhD, FAHA
- 2014 Mary Cushman, MD, MSc
- 2011 Gregory L. Burke, MD, FAHA
- 2008 Michael Criqui, MD, MPH, FAHA,
- 2005 Russell Luepker, MD, FAHA
- 2002 Lewis Kuller, MD, FAHA
- 1999 Henry Blackburn, MD
- 1996 Elizabeth Barrett-Connor
- 1993 H. Alfred Tyroler, MD
- 1990 Thomas Dawber, MD
- 1987 Jeremiah Stamler, MD
- 1984 Oglesby Paul, MD
The award will be presented at Scientific Sessions.
The honoree will also receive:
- Complimentary registration to the Scientific Sessions
- One complimentary tickets to the Council Dinner
- Engraved plaque
- Round-trip coach airfare to Scientific Sessions
- Hotel reimbursement (room + tax) for one night at the conference rate
- Ground transportation to and from the airport
- Meal reimbursement up to $70