The award submission period is April 14 - June 14, 2021.
The Clinical Article of the Year Award recognizes the importance of the written word in promoting the goals of the American Heart Association and cardiovascular and stroke nursing; encourages the dissemination of cardiovascular nursing science; and applauds the author(s) for clearly communicating the nursing perspective in the context of cardiovascular research, practice and theory.
- 2020 Angela Durante
- 2019 Gianluca Pucciarelli
- 2018 Margo B. Minissian
- The candidate must be a cardiovascular nurse and the first author of the article.
- The candidate must be a member of the Council of Cardiovascular and Stroke Nursing (CVSN) at the time of nomination.
- Candidates may be self-nominated or nominated by others.
- Nominations will require the submission of clinical articles that clearly relate to the goals of the American Heart Association and cardiovascular nursing.
- Submitted articles must be peer-reviewed and published.
- An applicant may submit one paper for one article of the year award each year.
- An Article of the Year award winner cannot reapply for an article of the year award for at least 2 years.
Submitted articles will be evaluated on:
- Originality, significance, timeliness of topic
- Potential to contribute to cardiovascular knowledge, practice and future research
- Logical development and linkage of ideas
- Clear expression of ideas
How to Apply/Required Documents
Electronic submission through the Council Awards Application System is required. Hard copies of any part of the application cannot be accepted.
The application file (filled out on the nominee’s behalf) should contain the following documents in PDF format:
- Cover letter of application or nomination
- Published article reprint for consideration
- Curriculum vitae, including bibliography
Visit the Council Awards & Fellowships Application System to complete an application.
A username and password previously set up through online profile registration at Professional Heart Daily will be necessary to access the Application System. If you have not created an online profile yet, please visit Professional Heart Daily to create an online member profile before accessing the Council Awards Application System. AHA Professional Members who are creating an online profile for the first time should make sure to register using their AHA member identification numbers.
An active AHA Professional Membership is required of all applicants for this award. If you are joining the AHA to apply, please wait on your AHA membership number to arrive from AHA Member Services via e-mail before creating an online profile and starting your application file. We suggest that new members join the AHA at least one week prior to the award application deadline for the member number to be processed and delivered in time for the application deadline. The member ID number will be required on the award application form
The winner will be recognized at the annual dinner of the Council on Cardiovascular and Stroke Nursing held during AHA's Scientific Sessions in November. The winner will receive the following:
- $500 honorarium
- Engraved plaque
- Complimentary council dinner ticket, plus recognition and presentation of the plaque at the council dinner
- Complimentary registration to Scientific Sessions