Mathy Mezey Excellence in Aging Award
Sponsored by the New York University College of Nursing
To qualify for this Scientific Sessions 2023 award, you must meet the following deadlines:
- June 7, 2023 – Deadline to have an active AHA membership with the sponsoring Council.
- June 14, 2023, 6 p.m. CT – Deadline to apply for Scientific Sessions 2023 awards in the Council Awards System.
For awards requiring abstract submission, the deadline to submit your science to Scientific Sessions 2023 is June 8, 2023, 6 p.m. CT
The purpose of this award is to recognize individuals who have distinguished themselves in promoting competence in caring for the elderly cardiovascular or stroke patient through teaching, research, and/or practice.
Mathy Mezey, EdD, RN, FAAN was most recently Professor Emerita, Senior Research Scientist and Associate Director, The Hartford Institute for Geriatric Nursing, New York University College of Nursing. Dr. Mezey received her undergraduate and graduate education at Columbia University. She worked as a public health nurse in NY City and taught at Lehman College, City University of New York, and the University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing.
The Council on Cardiovascular and Stroke Nursing (CVSN)’s original award, the CVSN Competence in Aging Award, was established when the Council received a grant to highlight care for older adults; this nation-wide project was led by Dr. Mezey. The CVSN Council has continued to award after funding ended in order to recognized members who were making important contributions to the care of older adults with cardiovascular disease. We sought to re-name this award after this esteemed leader in geriatric nursing who recognized the need for specialty organizations to improve care delivery for older adults.
The award initially was supported by the Nurse Competence in Aging initiative, a 5-year initiative funded by The Atlantic Philanthropies (USA) Inc., awarded to the American Nurses Association (ANA) through the American Nurses Foundation (ANF), that represents a strategic alliance between the ANA, the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) and the John A. Hartford Foundation Institute for Geriatric Nursing, New York University College of Nursing. For the past several years CVSN has been covering the cost of the award, which it will continue to do as additional sponsors are sought.
- 2022 Misook Lee Chung, PhD, RN, FAHA, FAAN
- 2021 Ruth M. Masterson Creber
- 2020 Christopher S. Lee
- 2019 Leanne L. Lefler
- 2018 Tamilyn Bakas
- 2017 Harleah Buck
- Applicant must be actively engaged in research, teaching or practice related to the care of elders.
- Applicant must be a member of the Council on Cardiovascular and Stroke Nursing at the time of application. Applicants needing to join the AHA should do so no later than at least one week prior to the award application deadline.
- Applicant can be at any career stage, but must have evidence of sustained contribution to the field of aging.
- Applicant must hold a full-time position.
- Award recipients are not eligible to compete in subsequent years.
- The chosen awardee must agree to attend the American Heart Association Scientific Sessions and the Council on Cardiovascular Nursing annual dinner.
Evidence of nominee's excellence in promoting competence in caring for the elderly cardiovascular or stroke patient in two of the three following areas: teaching, research, or practice
Examples of such evidence include (but are not limited to):
- Receipt of extramural grants or fellowships with peer reviewed publications disseminating the results.
- Leadership in professional organizations dedicated to aging or in other organizations where the individual has promoted aging.
- Publications in peer-reviewed journals.
- Presentations at the national or international level.
- Awards and recognitions.
How to Apply or Nominate a Colleague
Individuals may be nominated an unlimited number of times, but may receive this award only once. Self-nomination is acceptable.
The nomination file (which can be submitted on the nominee’s behalf) should contain the following documents in PDF format:
- Nominee’s curriculum vitae, including bibliography.
- Reprint of a published, data-based, peer-reviewed article or, if not available, an article that is indexed, peer reviewed, and publicly available. The article should be focused on biobehavioral/physiologic cardiovascular nursing research.
- At least two letters of nomination are required, drafted on electronic letterhead with a signature, that thoroughly outline and provide clear support (through examples as mentioned above) of the nominee's excellence in promoting competence in caring for the elderly cardiovascular or stroke patient in at least two of the three following areas: teaching, research, or practice.
Visit the Council Awards Application System to complete an application.
A username and password previously set up through online registration at Professional Heart Daily (PHD) will be necessary to access the Application System. AHA Professional Members who are creating an online profile for the first time should make sure to register using their AHA membership identification numbers.
An active AHA Professional Membership is required of all applicants for this award. If you are joining the AHA to apply, please wait for your AHA member number to arrive from AHA Member Services via e-mail before creating an online profile and starting your application file. We suggest that new members join the AHA no later than one week prior to the application submission deadline for the member ID number to be processed and delivered in time for the application deadline. The membership number will be required on the award application form.
- Click the link for the Council Awards Application System.
- Sign in with your Professional Heart Daily username and password.
- Follow the instructions to set up your profile in ProposalCentral. Setting up your ProposalCentral profile will only need to be done the first time you login to apply for an American Heart Association Council Awards.
- Once logged in, you may apply for the Scientific Sessions Cardiovascular Nursing Awards and select the Mathy Mezey Excellence in Aging Award from the award drop down list.
For more detailed information on ProposalCentral, also included are additional materials on specific ProposalCentral functionality.
- How to Create an Application in ProposalCentral (PDF)
- How to Register a ProposalCentral User (PDF)
- How To Add Publications in ProposalCentral (PDF)
The winner will receive:
- $1,000 honorarium
- Complimentary registration to Scientific Sessions
- Complimentary council dinner ticket, and recognition and presentation of a plaque at the council dinner
- Join or renew as an AHA Professional Member
- Submit your application at Council Awards Application System
- Instructions for ProposalCentral, the new Council Awards platform
- Council Awards: [email protected]
- Member Services: [email protected]
- Password/Login: [email protected]
- Abstract Submission: [email protected]
AHA Professional Members are Difference Makers
Pre-Sessions Symposia & Early Career Day: November 10, 2023
Scientific Sessions: November 11–13, 2023
Pennsylvania Convention Center | Philadelphia, Pennsylvania