To qualify for this EPI|Lifestyle Scientific Sessions award, you must meet the following deadlines.
- October 20, 2023 - Deadline to have active AHA membership with the Council on Epidemiology and Prevention.
- October 27, 2023 at 6 p.m. CT - Deadline to apply for awards requiring submission in the Council Awards Application System.
The Epidemiology and Prevention Mentoring Award highlights the importance of superior mentoring in cardiovascular epidemiologic research by honoring a person who has provided exceptional individual and institutional mentoring and advocacy for cardiovascular epidemiology researchers. The awardee will be honored at the EPI|Lifestyle Scientific Sessions.
- 2022 Tiffany M. Powell-Wiley, MD, MPH, FAHA
- 2021 Donald M. Lloyd-Jones, MD, ScM, FAHA
- 2020 Russell V. Luepker, MD, MS, FAHA
- 2019 Thomas A. Pearson, MD, PhD, MPH
- 2018 Lori Mosca, MD, PhD, MPH, FAHA
- 2017 David R. Jacobs, PhD
- 2016 Philip Greenland, MD
- 2015 Gerardo Heiss, MD
- 2014 A. Richey Sharrett, MD
- 2013 Elizabeth Barrett-Connor, MD
- 2012 Vasan S. Ramachandran, MD, DM, FACC, FAHA
- 2011 No award given
- 2010 Josef Coresh, MD PhD, FAHA
- 2009 Aaron Folson, MD, FAHA
Each nominee will be considered based on his or her history of mentoring epidemiology researchers, as well as his or her overall record towards the professional development of mentees.
How to Nominate or Apply
Council on Epidemiology and Prevention (EPI) members may self-nominate/apply for this award. Nominations are also accepted and do not require AHA membership.
A username and password set up through online registration at Professional Heart Daily will be necessary to access the AHA's Council Awards Application System for both nominators and nominee/applicants.
AHA Professional Members who are creating an online profile for the first time should make sure to register using their AHA member identification number. We suggest that new members join the AHA no later than one week prior to the award deadline for the member number to be processed and delivered in time for the application deadline.
Electronic submission of award application through the Council Awards Application System is required. Hard copies of any part of the nomination will not be accepted.
The nomination/application file should contain the following documents in PDF format:
Nominee/applicants will be scored based on their nomination letters and mentoring history.
- A letter of nomination specifically addressing the candidate's contributions in mentoring in cardiovascular epidemiology.
- Up to two additional supporting letters are recommended, but not required.
- A list of the names of individuals mentored by the nominee/applicant is required, including their current positions.
- Nominee's curriculum vitae
The award will be presented at the Council Dinner at the annual EPI|Lifestyle Scientific Sessions. The winner will receive:
- Complimentary registration to the conference
- Hotel accommodations for one night
- Engraved plaque
- Complimentary council dinner ticket and presentation of a plaque at the dinner