Award submissions are closed and will reopen in May 2022.
Sponsored by the Council on the Kidney in Cardiovascular Disease.
This lecture was established in 2006 to enhance the awareness of AHA conference attendees concerning the rising epidemic of cardiovascular disease and mortality in patients with chronic kidney disease. The lecture allows experts in the field to bring the latest basic, translational or clinical information to the AHA meeting. The lecture is named in honor of Dr. Donald Seldin, a pioneer and leader in the field of cardiovascular disease relate to kidney failure. Dr. Seldin was responsible for the seminal observations related to sodium and potassium transport in the kidney and their effects on blood pressure and cardiovascular homeostasis.
The Seldin Lecture is presented annually at the AHA Hypertension Scientific Sessions by a distinguished honoree.
- 2021 David L. Mattson, PhD, FAHA
- 2020 Susan M. Wall, MD, FAHA
- 2019 Allen W. Cowley, Jr., PhD, FAHA
- 2018 Paul A. Welling, MD, FAHA
- 2017 Donald E. Kohan, MD, PhD, FAHA
- 2016 Jeff Garvin, PhD, FAHA
- 2015 Moshe Levi, MD
- 2014 Alicia A. McDonough, PhD
- 2013 David Ellison, MD
- 2012 Susan Quaggin, MD
- 2011 Sharon Anderson, MD, FAHA
- 2010 Thomas R. Kleyman, MD, FAHA
- 2009 Roger Wiggins, MB, BChir
- 2008 Mark Knepper, MD, PhD
- 2007 Richard J. Johnson, MD, FACP
- 2006 Richard P. Lifton, MD, PhD, FAHA
How to Make a Nomination/Required Documents
Electronic submission through the Council Awards Application System is required. Hard copies of any part of the nomination cannot be accepted.
The nomination file (submitted on the nominee’s behalf) should contain the following documents in PDF format:
- A full Curriculum vitae, including all publications (abstracts not necessary)
- Letter of nomination on behalf of the candidate that outlines why the candidate is worthy of recognition. This may include the candidate’s accomplishments in the field of cardiovascular disease as it relates to kidney failure, his or her volunteer activities with the AHA (affiliate and/or national level), teaching and mentoring activities, or a combination of these.
- Please note: Members of the Council on Kidney on Cardiovascular Disease Awards Committee are not eligible to write letters of support.
Visit the Council Awards Application System to complete a nomination.
A username and password previously set up through online profile registration at Professional Heart Daily will be necessary to access the Application System. If you have not created an online profile, please visit Professional Heart Daily to create an online member profile before accessing the Council Awards Application System. AHA Professional Members who are creating an online profile for the first time should make sure to register using their AHA membership identification numbers.
The honoree will present a lecture during Hypertension Scientific Sessions and will receive complimentary registration, a $1,000 honorarium, and an engraved plaque.
Honorees presenting in-person at Hypertension Scientific Sessions will be honored at the Annual Council on Hypertension Awards Banquet and will be eligible for certain travel reimbursements.
- Round-trip coach airfare to the conference at the 21-day advance purchase rate
- One-night hotel accommodations at the conference rate
- Ground transportation expenses to attend the conference
- Up to $70 in meal reimbursement
- Two tickets to the annual Hypertension Scientific Sessions Awards banquet