The Council on the Kidney in Cardiovascular Disease is calling for nominations for this award February 16–June 3, 2022 at 6 p.m. (Central Time). Nomination packets must be submitted in the Council Awards Application System.
This lecture was established in 2006 to enhance the awareness of AHA conference attendees concerning the rising epidemic of cardiovascular disease and mortality in patients with chronic kidney disease. The lecture allows experts in the field to bring the latest basic, translational or clinical information to the AHA meeting. The lecture is named in honor of Dr. Donald Seldin, a pioneer and leader in the field of cardiovascular disease relate to kidney failure. Dr. Seldin was responsible for the seminal observations related to sodium and potassium transport in the kidney and their effects on blood pressure and cardiovascular homeostasis.
The Seldin Lecture is presented annually at the AHA Hypertension Scientific Sessions by a distinguished honoree.
- 2021 David L. Mattson, PhD, FAHA
- 2020 Susan M. Wall, MD, FAHA
- 2019 Allen W. Cowley, Jr., PhD, FAHA
- 2018 Paul A. Welling, MD, FAHA
- 2017 Donald E. Kohan, MD, PhD, FAHA
- 2016 Jeff Garvin, PhD, FAHA
- 2015 Moshe Levi, MD
- 2014 Alicia A. McDonough, PhD
- 2013 David Ellison, MD
- 2012 Susan Quaggin, MD
- 2011 Sharon Anderson, MD, FAHA
- 2010 Thomas R. Kleyman, MD, FAHA
- 2009 Roger Wiggins, MB, BChir
- 2008 Mark Knepper, MD, PhD
- 2007 Richard J. Johnson, MD, FACP
- 2006 Richard P. Lifton, MD, PhD, FAHA
- Must be a member of the AHA Council on the Kidney in Cardiovascular Disease at the time nomination is submitted. Join or renew today!
- There are no citizenship requirements.
- Previous awardees are not eligible to re-enter the competition in subsequent years.
- Notwithstanding the above, the AHA Officers have the discretion to determine eligibility for the award in extraordinary circumstances when there is an issue relating to AHA policy or positions or other potentially controversial issue relating to the positioning or perception of the AHA.
How to Make a Nomination/Required Documents
Electronic submission through the Council Awards Application System is required. Hard copies of any part of the nomination cannot be accepted.
The nomination file (submitted on the nominee’s behalf) should contain the following documents in PDF format:
- A full Curriculum vitae, including all publications (abstracts not necessary)
- Letter of nomination on behalf of the candidate that outlines why the candidate is worthy of recognition. This may include the candidate’s accomplishments in the field of cardiovascular disease as it relates to kidney failure, his or her volunteer activities with the AHA (affiliate and/or national level), teaching and mentoring activities, or a combination of these.
- Please note: Members of the Council on Kidney on Cardiovascular Disease Awards Committee are not eligible to write letters of support.
Visit the Council Awards Application System to complete a nomination.
A username and password previously set up through online profile registration at Professional Heart Daily will be necessary to access the Application System. If you have not created an online profile, please visit Professional Heart Daily to create an online member profile before accessing the Council Awards Application System. AHA Professional Members who are creating an online profile for the first time should make sure to register using their AHA membership identification numbers.
The award will be presented at Hypertension Scientific Sessions.
The honoree will also receive:
- Honorarium of $1,000
- Complimentary registration to Hypertension Scientific Sessions
- Two (2) complimentary tickets to the Council Dinner
- Engraved plaque
- Round-trip coach airfare to Scientific Sessions
- Hotel reimbursement (room + tax) for one night at the conference rate
- Ground transportation to and from the airport
- Meal reimbursement up to $70