To qualify for this Vascular Discovery: From Genes to Medicine award you must meet the following deadlines:
- January 6, 2023 – Deadline to have an active AHA membership with this Council.
- January 18, 2023, 6 p.m. Central Time – Deadline to submit your science to Vascular Discovery: From Genes to Medicine 2023 and to apply for this award.
- The work covered by the abstract must not have been published at the time of abstract submission or presented at a national meeting or world congress before May 9, 2023.
The Irvine H. Page Junior Faculty Research Award is open to junior faculty investigators in arteriosclerosis and vascular biology who are members of the ATVB council (primary or secondary). The award recognizes investigators in the formative years of their faculty careers who have the potential to become future leaders in cardiovascular research
- Applicants must be a member of the American Heart Association ATVB Council (primary or secondary). (Member account number required to complete award application).
- Applicants must have sustained research effort in any area related to arteriosclerosis or vascular biology as evidenced by sustained peer-reviewed manuscripts in the field and have a junior faculty appointment such as Instructor, Research Associate, Project Scientists, or Assistant Professor for 5 years or less at the time of application.
- Finalists from previous years are eligible but must submit a manuscript that is different than the prior submission.
- Be present at the Vascular Discovery Scientific Sessions to qualify for this award.
- There are no citizenship requirements.
- Applicants must submit an abstract describing new, unpublished work in the field of arteriosclerosis or vascular biology to Vascular Discovery Scientific Sessions 2023.
- A single manuscript, either unpublished or accepted for publication after Jan. 1, 2023, is required as part of the application.
- Applicants may also apply for the Brinkhous Prize, however, an individual is not eligible for both awards in the same year.
The finalists will present their research results during a special session at the Vascular Discovery Scientific Sessions.
The applicant will be assessed on:
- The quality and originality of the submitted manuscript
- The quality of the oral presentation and response to questions
- Publication and funding record
- Service to our scientific community and the AHA
Honorees presenting in-person at the Vascular Discovery meeting will also be eligible for certain travel reimbursements.
The first-prize winner will receive a $1,000 cash prize. The winner and finalists will each receive an engraved plaque and a $500 travel stipend,if presenting at a face-to-face meeting.
How to Apply
The applicant must:
- Submit an original abstract to the Vascular Discovery Scientific Sessions. The abstract must be in accordance with the rules and regulations for submitting abstracts and must have been submitted by the abstract submission deadline.
- Select Page Award during the abstract submission process.
- The following must be submitted by uploading into the abstract submission system (at the "Awards Application Materials Upload" step):
- A cover letter declaring the application for the Irvine H. Page Junior Faculty Research Award and any request for exception to the time limitation.
- A manuscript that is either unpublished or accepted for publication after Jan. 1, 2023.
- 2022 Oren Rom, PhD, RD
- 2021 Bhama Ramkhelowon, PhD
- 2020 Hanrui Zhang, MB, PhD
- 2019 Robert Wirka, MD
- 2018 Elizabeth J. Tarling, PhD
- 2017 Marit Westerterp, PhD
- 2016 Eric P. van der Veer PhD
- 2015 Thomas de Aguiar Vallim, PhD
- 2014 Babak Rozani, MD, PhD
- 2013 Hong Chen, PhD
- 2012 Katey J. Rayner, PhD
- 2011 Hyung Chun, MD
- 2010 Carlos Fernandez-Hernando, PhD
- 2009 Zolt P. Arany, MD, PhD
- 2008 Brain R. Wamhoff, PhD
- 2007 Amy S. Major, PhD
- 2006 Nima M. Gharavi, PhD
- 2005 Dennis Bruemmer, MD
- 2004 Laurent Mosnier, PhD
- 2002 Kyriakos E. Kypreos, PhD
- 2001 Linda Pinderski-Oslund, MD
- 2000 Koichi Shimizu, MD
- 1999 Marc S. Penn, MD, PhD
- 1998 M. Mahmood Hussain, PhD
- 1997 Jan Boren, MD, PhD
- 1996 MacRae Linton, MD
- 1995 Gregory S. Shelness, PhD
- 1994 Yasato Komatsu, MD
- 1993 Kenneth Walsh, PhD
- 1992 John A.A. Ladias, MD
- 1991 Katherine Amerson-Hajjar, MD
- 1990 Cheryl A. Dyer, PhD
- 1989 Donna M. Driscoll, MD
- 1988 Stephan G. Young, MD
- 1987 Alan D. Cardin, MD
- 1986 Jay R. Kaplan, PhD
- 1985 Kenneth Lee Luskey, MD
- 1984 Ronald L. Heimark, PhD
- 1983 Sotirios K. Karathanasis, PhD
- 1982 Josef R. Patsch, MD
- 1981 Ernst J. Schaefer, MD
- 1980 John J. Albers, PhD
- 1979 Eugene A. Sprague, PhD
- 1978 Stuart Jamieson, MD
- 1977 B. Greg Brown, MD, PhD