Application Deadline: Wednesday, March 11, 2020, (11:59 p.m. CT)
The purpose of this award is to encourage US minority early career investigators and students to participate in the Basic Cardiovascular Sciences Scientific Sessions. Although preference will be given to investigators and trainees with a successful research abstract, no research abstract is required for consideration.
Up to ten competitive awards of $500 each will be presented to qualified applicants, based on the curriculum vitae and strength of endorsement letters.
- Applicant must be a member of the American Heart Association (membership number required to complete award application).
- The candidate must hold an academic (or equivalent) rank below associate professor (e.g., assistant professors, instructors, postdocs, fellows, and students).
- The applicant must be conducting basic science research in the field of cardiovascular disease.
- The candidate must be a minority by the standard NIH definition: He or she belongs to a minority group that is underrepresented in biomedical and behavioral science careers, based on their minority group’s representation in the total population. This includes African Americans, Hispanics, American Indian or Alaskan Native, and Pacific Islander. Asians are not considered to be an underrepresented minority.
- The candidate may not apply for more than one type of award, may not submit more than one application and may not have been an award recipient of this particular award at previous AHA BCVS Conferences.
- Submit an abstract as first author for the conference.
- Select the award for which you are applying from the drop-down list on the awards page of the abstract submission website.
- Upload the following material between Jan. 8–March 11, 2020.
- A signed letter of endorsement from a department chair, advisor or other sponsor, certifying that you meet the eligibility criteria for this award.
- Your curriculum vitae and bibliography.
- Your AHA membership number.