Science News for ACC.21
The American Heart Association's Science News from ACC.21 coverage brings you results and insights into selected important scientific trials presented at ACC.21, a virtual conference held May 15-17, 2021. Find at-a-glance data summaries, exclusive interviews, simultaneous publications, and more – all in one place.
Jump to one day's coverage: Saturday | Sunday | Monday
AHA Journals Simultaneous Publications
Saturday's Selected Science
Prospective Arni Versus Ace Inhibitor Trial To Determine Superiority In Reducing Heart Failure Events After Myocardial Infarction
Marc A. Pfeffer, MD, PhD | Distinguished Dzau Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, MA
- RESULTS: PARADISE-MI: Heart Failure drug sacubitril/valsartan does not outperform ACE inhibitor after heart attack
- ClinicalTrials: NCT02924727
- PARADISE-MI Presentation Slides (PDF)
- PARADISE-MI Data Summary Slide (PDF)
Investigator Marc Pfeffer, MD, PHD summarizes the results of PARADISE-MI.
Aspirin Dosing: A Patient-centric Trial Assessing Benefits And Long-term Effectiveness Trial
Schuyler Jones, MD | Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC
- RESULTS: ADAPTABLE: Low-dose aspirin is as effective and safe as a higher dose in secondary prevention of cardiovascular events
- ClinicalTrials: NCT02697916
- ADAPTABLE Trial Home
- ADAPTABLE Presentation Slides (PDF)
- ADAPTABLE Data Summary Slide (PDF)
ADAPTABLE Study Results
Erin Michos, MD, MHS, FAHA interviews Schuyler Jones, MD about the results of ADAPTABLE.
Sunday's Selected Science
Effects Of Dapagliflozin On Prevention Of Major Clinical Events And Recovery In Patients With Respiratory Failure Due To COVID-19 - Main Results From The DARE-19 Randomized Trial
Mikhail Kosiborod, MD | Saint Luke's Mid America Heart Institute, Kansas City, MO
- RESULTS: DARE-19 failed to capture enough events to achieve statistical significance on its primary endpoints, but suggests dapagliflozin is safe for COVID-19 patients
- Clinical Trials: NCT04350593
- DARE-19 Presentation Slides (PDF)
- DARE-19 Data Summary Slide (PDF)
Sandeep Das, MD interviews investigator Mikhail Kosiborod, MD about the results of DARE-19.
Monday's Selected Science
Care Optimization Through Patient And Hospital Engagement Clinical Trial For Heart Failure: Primary Results Of The Connect-hf Randomized Clinical Trial
Adam D. DeVore, MD, MHS | Duke Clinical Research Institute, Durham, NC
- RESULTS: Extending existing hospital-based quality improvement efforts through audit, feedback, and education did not improve clinical outcomes or quality of care for patients with heart failure with reduced left ventricular ejection fraction.
- Clinical Trials: NCT03035474
- CONNECT-HF Presentation Slides (PDF)
- CONNECT-HF Data Summary Slide (PDF)
Larry Allen, MD, MHS interviews investigator Adam DeVore, MD, MHS about the results of CONNECT-HF.
HOLIDAY Monitors Study
Acute Alcohol Consumption And Discrete Atrial Fibrillation Events
Gregory M Marcus, MD, MAS | University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA
- RESULTS: HOLIDAY Monitors Study: Acute alcohol consumption found to be associated with discrete atrial fibrillation events.
- Clinical Trials: NCT01996943
- HOLIDAY Monitors Study Presentation Slide (PDF)
- HOLIDAY Monitors Study Data Summary Slide (PDF)
HOLIDAY Monitors Study Results
Sana M. Al-Khatib, MD, MHS interviews Gregory Marcus, MD, MAS about the results of the HOLIDAY Monitors Study.
Other Late Breaking Science & Simultaneous Publications from ACC.21
Prevention of Cardiac Dysfunction During Adjuvant Breast Cancer Therapy (PRADA) Extended Follow-Up of a 2×2 Factorial, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Double-Blind Clinical Trial of Candesartan and Metoprolol
Siri Lagethon Heck, et al. | Circulation | May 16, 2021
Late Outcomes of the RAPID-TnT Randomized Controlled Trial: 0/1-Hour High-Sensitivity Troponin T Protocol in Suspected ACS
Kristina Lambrakis, et al. | Circulation | May 16, 2021
Effects of Sacubitril/Valsartan on Serum Lipids in Heart Failure with Preserved Ejection Fraction
Senthil Selvaraj, et al. | JAHA | May 16, 2021
Contemporary National Patterns of Eligibility and Utilization of Novel Cardioprotective Anti‐hyperglycemic agents in Type 2 Diabetes
Arash A Nargesi, et al. | JAHA | May 15, 2021
Temporal Trends, Clinical Characteristics and Outcomes of Emergent Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting for Acute Myocardial Infarction in the United States
Sri Harsha Patlolla, et al. | JAHA | May 15, 2021
Association of Health Insurance Payer Type and Outcomes After Durable Left Ventricular Assist Device Implantation: An Analysis of the STS-INTERMACS Registry
Sameed Ahmed M, et al. | Circulation: Heart Failure | May 15, 2021
Association Between Angiotensin Receptor-Neprilysin Inhibition, Cardiovascular Biomarkers, and Cardiac Remodeling in Heart Failure with Reduced Ejection Fraction
Sean P. Murphy, et al. | Circulation: Heart Failure | May 15, 2021
Social Determinants of Adherence to COVID-19 Risk Mitigation Measures Among Adults with Cardiovascular Disease
Kobina K., et al. | Circulation: Cardiovascular Quality and Outcomes | May 6, 2021
Hospital Variation in 30‐Day Readmissions Following Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement
Dhaval Kolte., et al. | JAHA | May 3, 2021