Clinical Practice Guidelines for Prevention
AHA and ACC are pleased to announce the only comprehensive series of new cardiovascular prevention guidelines and advisories for the assessment and management of hypertension, cardiovascular risk, lifestyle modifications that reduce risk, management of elevated blood cholesterol, and management of increased body weight in adults. The guidelines are based on rigorous, comprehensive, systematic evidence reviews originally sponsored by the NHLBI. The ACC and AHA collaborated with professional organizations to finalize these AHA/ACC cardiovascular prevention guidelines and advisories, and stakeholder organizations were invited to review and endorse the final documents.
- An Effective Approach to High Blood Pressure Control: A Science Advisory From the American Heart Association, the American College of Cardiology, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (PDF)
- 2013 ACC/AHA Guideline on the Assessment of Cardiovascular Risk (opens in a new window)
- 2013 ACC/AHA Guideline on the Treatment of Blood Cholesterol to Reduce Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Risk in Adults (opens in a new window)
- 2013 AHA/ACC Guideline on Lifestyle Management to Reduce Cardiovascular Risk (opens in a new window)
To support the implementation of these guidelines, the American Heart Association is making a series of web tools available for download now.
Narrated slidesets on the content of each guideline are available at learn.heart.org:
- Assessment of Cardiovascular Risk
- Blood Cholesterol to Reduce Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Risk in Adults
- Lifestyle Management to Reduce Cardiovascular Risk
- Management of Overweight and Obesity in Adults
The new Pooled Cohort Equations CV Risk Calculator is available at professional.heart.org/cvriskcalculator