Fellowship provides a mean to recognize and award Premium Professional members for excellence, innovative and sustained contributions in the areas of scholarship, practice and/or education, and volunteer service and/or leadership within the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association (AHA/ASA). International members may be nominated for International Fellowship and may demonstrate volunteer service and/or leadership in similar societies within their own countries.
To be eligible for consideration for AHA Fellowship the candidate must meet each of the eligibility requirements.
- Must be an active member at the Premium Professional or Premium Professional Plus level at the time the nomination is submitted.
- Membership dues must be up-to-date.
- Must have been an AHA member for at least two years.
- Applicant must be affiliated with the Council through which the application is submitted.
AHA/ASA Fellowship conferred by the Stroke Council is reserved for physicians, scientists and healthcare professionals with a major and productive interest in cerebrovascular diseases and whose accomplishments support the stated objectives of the AHA/ASA and the Stroke Council through practice, research, and/or education; and who have actively supported the AHA/ASA through volunteer service. The candidate must be making meritorious contributions in stroke as evidenced by:
- A demonstrated ongoing interest and contributions after completing training in cerebrovascular disease through research, education or care of stroke patients.
- Stroke publications over the past 24 months.
- Leadership in the stroke community.
- Stroke presentations at national, local or international level.
- Leadership position in training stroke physicians or allied health professionals.
- A strong letter of recommendation from the proposer.
- Candidate must be able to show significant volunteer service to the AHA/ASA at the council, national, affiliate and/or local level. Examples of volunteer service include:
- Active participation as members and chairpersons of AHA and/or council committees, boards and task forces at the local, affiliate, and/or national level.
- Active leadership role in Development and Fundraising (Heart Walk, galas, Go Red fund raisers, etc.) such as organizing Heart Walk teams, raising funds, promoting AHA events and recruiting others to participate.
- Active participation in Advocacy efforts including participating in You’re the Cure, leading policy adoption or change, informing legislators about AHA and cardiovascular health issues at state and national levels.
- Active participation in Professional and lay education programs, including participation in a local AHA speaker’s bureau, providing talks for Go Red activities, media activities, leading education activities and Get with the Guidelines.
- Sharing expertise through AHA research and scholarship activities such as serving on a writing group, abstract grading, and research grant peer review.
International Fellowship Criteria
International candidates may show evidence of volunteer involvement and service in the American Heart Association or similar organizations/associations in countries or regions where they have trained, previously worked, or currently reside. Other avenues of community or volunteer involvement may be submitted, if these activities are well documented and perceived as equivalents regarding volunteerism and engagement, to those through the AHA.
Some examples of service and volunteerism include, but are not limited to:
- Active, voluntary participation on committees, boards and task forces
- Development and fundraising
- Advocacy efforts
- Scientific or educational services, such as guideline/performance measure writing groups, abstract grading, and research grant peer review.
Successful candidates for International Fellowship have typically completed their training years earlier and are at the academic rank of Assistant Professor or similar, or hold a more senior position.
AHA Staff Fellowship Criteria
- AHA Staff applying for FAHA status must meet the General and Council specific criteria with experience and service outside the scope of their position at the AHA. Any council and/or committee participation, support of AHA volunteer initiatives, AHA writing groups etc., that fall within the staff applicant’s job at the AHA will not be considered during scoring of FAHA applications.
- AHA Staff must be a paid AHA member for 1 year prior to submitting a FAHA application.
Application Submission Deadlines
The Stroke Council considers applications for AHA Fellowship during the spring and fall of each year. Applications may be submitted through the Council Awards/FAHA Application System until:
- Spring Review Cycle: January 10, 11 p.m. Central Time
- Fall Review Cycle: July 10, 11 p.m. Central Time
- Applications entered after the deadlines cannot be successfully submitted.
How to Apply
Candidates may be proposed by any active AHA/ASA Fellow (dues and print subscription [if applicable] are up-to-date) or Emeritus Fellow (Emeritus Fellows are exempt from paying dues and maintaining a print journal subscription) who is well acquainted with the candidate's professional activities and volunteer involvement in the AHA/ASA or international society. To apply for AHA Fellowship please follow the procedures below:
- Use your Professional Heart Daily to logon to the Council Awards/FAHA Application System.
- Complete all sections of the application to avoid delays. Incomplete applications cannot be successfully submitted through the online application system.
- Attach all required documentation. Applications that do not include the required documentation cannot be successfully submitted through the online application system. Required documents include:
- Up-to-date curriculum vitae, including complete bibliography.
- A recommendation from the proposer. The recommendation letter must clearly articulate how the candidate meets each of the criteria, be written on business letterhead, and be signed by the proposer; electronic signature is acceptable.
- Clear head and shoulders photograph. The photograph may be used to recognized newly elected Fellows in Connections and the Professional Heart Daily website.
Locate a Proposer
Locate AHA/ASA Fellows by name or council in the online Membership Directory. To access the AHA online membership directory:
- Log into professional.heart.org with an active login
- Click on your Dashboard and choose Membership Directory under the Links section
- Click on the ?Advanced Search? link
- On the Member Type field, click the arrow to drop down the selection list
- Select the Fellow category you are searching for to populate the field
- Click the ?Submit? button at the bottom of the page
Review and Election Process
Fellowship applications are peer reviewed by the Membership Committee during the spring and fall of each year. A slate containing the names of candidates that meet the eligibility requirements and criteria is presented to the Leadership Committee for election its bi-annual meetings. Candidates will be advised of the status of their application prior to the International Stroke Conference (spring review) and mid-August (fall review).
Recognition and Acknowledgement
Newly elected Fellows will be acknowledged at the Annual Business Meeting held during the International Stroke Conference. Fellowship certificate will be mailed after the Leadership Committee meetings
- Entitlement to use the designation of Fellow of the AHA/ASA (FAHA). This designation reflects not only the professional stature of the Fellow, but also his/her record of valuable service to the association and the council.
- Access to online AHA journals at no cost.
- Reduced subscription rates for all AHA print journals.
- Priority registration and housing for Scientific Sessions and International Stroke Conference.
- Reduced registration fee to the AHA Scientific Sessions and other AHA/ASA sponsored conferences.
- Opportunity to serve as a Mentor in the Mentoring for Professionals program.
- Access to the FAHA Lounge at Scientific Sessions.
- 8" X 11" Fellowship certificate suitable for framing.
- Complete roster of council Fellows (by request only).
Annual Membership/FAHA Maintenance
AHA/ASA Fellows elected through the Stroke Council are required to maintain membership at the Premium Professional or Premium Professional Plus level. Failure to meet this requirement will result in the suspension of active Fellowship status.
Contact the AHA Fellowship Desk:
Phone: (214) 706-1306