Scientific Sessions 2021 Travel Grant notifications will be sent in early September. Awardees must attend the conference in person to receive the monetary award.
Award applications for Scientific Sessions are now closed and will reopen in April 2022. Please visit Council Awards for opportunities to apply for active awards. Awards applicants must be AHA Professional Members and must be affiliated with the AHA sponsoring scientific council at the time of application.
The American Heart Association’s Council on Cardiovascular and Stroke Nursing proudly supports the research efforts of early career investigators and trainees of all backgrounds. The CVSN Council is offering travel grants to outstanding underrepresented racial and ethnic early career investigators and students interested in attending AHA Scientific Sessions.
- All applicants for the CVSN Underrepresented Racial and Ethnic Groups Travel Grant must be members of the Council at the time of application. If you need to become an AHA Professional Member, you should do so no later than one week prior to abstract submission deadline. Learn more about AHA Professional Membership.
- The individual must be from racial and ethnic groups that have been shown by the National Science Foundation to be underrepresented in health-related sciences on a national basis: This includes Blacks or African Americans, Hispanics or Latinos, American Indians or Alaska Natives, Native Hawaiians, and other Pacific Islanders. Other candidates considered a minority are those from medically underserved populations with low socio-economic status and those living in rural areas to include whites.
- The candidate must be a U.S. citizen, a noncitizen national (born in American Samoa or Swains Island), or a U.S. permanent resident.
- The candidate must be a nurse and hold an academic (or equivalent) rank below associate professor (e.g., assistant professors, instructors, postdocs, fellows and students). If the candidate is a faculty member, he or she must be within the first five years of the faculty appointment.
- The applicant must be conducting cardiovascular or stroke research.
- Previous winners of this grant are not eligible to apply.
- Each applicant for AHA council-sponsored awards, regardless of award category, is eligible to receive only one council-sponsored award per AHA conference per year. (For example, an Early Career Investigator Award finalist will not be eligible to receive a travel grant for the same meeting.)
- Candidates should apply for only one of the travel grants that the council offers to Scientific Sessions.
How to Apply/Required Documents
Electronic submission through the Council Awards Application System is required. Hard copies of any part of the application cannot be accepted.
**Candidates may apply for more than one travel grant; however, an applicant is eligible to receive only one travel grant.
Your application file should contain the following documents in PDF format:
- A letter of recommendation by a mentor or department chair, which includes the following:
- Candidate's grounds for eligibility, including verification that he or she is part of a underrepresented racial and ethnic group as defined by the NIH and identification of the candidate's specific underrepresented racial and ethnic group.
- Candidate’s key accomplishments to date (or other forms of demonstrated excellence and recognition in the case of very junior trainees)
- Assessment of relevant scientific attributes (intellectual curiosity, drive, critical thinking, problem-solving)
- Potential for future success as a competitive investigator
- Curriculum vitae, including bibliography
Visit the Council Awards & Fellowships Application System to complete an application.
A username and password previously set up through online profile registration at Professional Heart Daily will be necessary to access the Application System. If you have not created an online profile yet, please visit Professional Heart Daily to create an online member profile before accessing the Council Awards Application System. AHA Professional Members who are creating an online profile for the first time should make sure to register using their AHA membership identification numbers.
Awardees will be notified in September and will receive travel funds up to $660 to use for Scientific Sessions (a reimbursement form will be provided).
Awardees will be required to pay their registration for the meeting and should register prior to the discounted early registration rate deadline.
AHA Professional Members are Difference Makers
Want to get involved?
The American Heart Association depends on the time and talent of volunteers to help us create a healthier world, free of heart disease and stroke.