To qualify for Scientific Sessions 2021 Travel Grants you must meet these deadlines.
Please carefully check the eligibility and application requirements for each award.
- June 17, 2021, 6 p.m. CDT – Deadline to submit your general science abstract to Scientific Sessions 2021.
- August 6, 2021 – Deadline to have an active AHA membership with Council sponsoring the award.
- August 13, 2021, 6 p.m. CDT – Deadline to apply for awards requiring submission in Council Awards Application System.
The Council on Cardiovascular Surgery and Anesthesia (CVSA) is offering a travel grant to underrepresented racial and ethnic early career investigators and students who will be presenting research at the AHA’s Scientific Sessions. The award honors accomplished underrepresented racial and ethnic students and early career investigators while enabling them to be more involved in the AHA and Scientific Sessions.
- All applicants for the CVSA Minority Travel Grant must be members of the Council at the time of application. If you need to become an AHA/ASA Professional Member, you should do so no later than one week prior to the submission deadline for your membership to be processed in time for the application submission deadline. Learn more about AHA Professional Membership.
- Applicants must currently be medical students, trainees, or Early Career Investigators. Trainees are PhDs and/or MDs (or doctoral equivalent) who are in a residency or fellowship position. Early Career Investigators are PhDs and/or MDs who have completed training only within the last four years or who are still within in the first four years after their first faculty appointment, as of the award application date.
- The individual must be from racial and ethnic groups that have been shown by the National Science Foundation to be underrepresented in health-related sciences on a national basis: This includes Blacks or African Americans, Hispanics or Latinos, American Indians or Alaska Natives, Native Hawaiians, and other Pacific Islanders. Other candidates considered a minority are those from medically underserved populations with low socio-economic status and those living in rural areas to include whites.
- The candidate must be a U.S. citizen, a noncitizen national (born in American Samoa or Swains Island), or a U.S. permanent resident.
- Previous winners of this award are not eligible to apply.
- Each applicant for AHA council-sponsored awards, regardless of award category, is eligible to receive only one council-sponsored award per AHA conference per year. (For example, an Early Career Investigator Award finalist will not be eligible to receive a travel grant for the same meeting.)
How to Apply/Required Documents
Electronic submission through the Council Awards Application System is required. Hard copies of any part of the application cannot be accepted.
**Candidates may apply for more than one travel grant; however, an applicant is eligible to receive only one travel grant.
Your application file should contain the following documents in PDF format:
- A letter of recommendation by a mentor, section chief or department chair, which includes the following:
- Candidate's grounds for eligibility, including verification that he or she is part of a underrepresented racial and ethnic group as defined by the NIH and identification of the candidate's specific underrepresented racial and ethnic group.
- Candidate’s key accomplishments to date (or other forms of demonstrated excellence and recognition in the case of very junior trainees)
- Assessment of relevant scientific attributes (intellectual curiosity, drive, critical thinking, problem-solving)
- Potential for future success as a competitive investigator
- Curriculum vitae, including bibliography
Visit the Council Awards & Fellowships Application System to complete an application.
A username and password set up through online profile registration at Professional Heart Daily will be necessary to access the Application System. If you have not created an online profile yet, you may register as you enter the Application System by clicking "Sign Up" next to the Log In button on the sign-in page. AHA Professional Members who are creating an online profile for the first time should make sure to register using their AHA membership identification numbers.
AHA Professional Membership is required of all applicants for this award. If you are joining the AHA to apply, please wait on your AHA membership number to arrive from AHA Member Services via e-mail before creating an online profile and starting your application file. We suggest that new members join the AHA no later than one week prior to the application submission deadline. The membership number will be required on the award application form.
The winners will each receive a $1,000 travel grant for use in attending Scientific Sessions. Up to 10 grants from the pool of eligible applicants may be presented. Winners will also receive a complimentary ticket to attend the CVSA Annual Business Meeting at Scientific Sessions.
AHA Professional Members are Difference Makers @Model.Item.RenderHeadingSizeTag("h2")>
Scientific Sessions @Model.Item.RenderHeadingSizeTag("h2")>
Nov. 13–15, 2021
Boston, MA + Virtual
Want to get involved? @Model.Item.RenderHeadingSizeTag("h2")>
The American Heart Association depends on the time and talent of volunteers to help us create a healthier world, free of heart disease and stroke.