Sponsored by the Council on Cardiovascular Surgery and Anesthesia
To qualify for Scientific Sessions 2021 Travel Grants you must meet these deadlines.
Please carefully check the eligibility and application requirements for each award.
- June 10, 2021, 6:00 p.m. CDT – Deadline to submit your general science abstract to Scientific Sessions 2021.
- August 6, 2021 – Deadline to have an active AHA membership with Council sponsoring the award.
- August 13, 2021, 6:00 p.m. CDT – Deadline to apply for awards requiring submission in Council Awards Application System.
The Council on Cardiovascular Surgery and Anesthesia (CVSA) is offering a travel grant to early career investigators and students who will be presenting research at the AHA’s Scientific Sessions. The award honors accomplished students and early career investigators while enabling them to be more involved in the AHA and Scientific Sessions.
- All applicants for travel grants sponsored by a scientific council must be members of the AHA/ASA at any level. If you need to become an AHA/ASA Professional Member, you should do so no later than July 30 for your membership to be processed in time for the application submission deadline. Learn more about AHA Professional Membership.
- Applicants must submit an abstract in accordance with the rules and regulations for submitting abstracts to the AHA Scientific Sessions to one of the categories primarily sponsored by the Council on Basic Cardiovascular Sciences. Please view a list of Scientific Sessions Council Awards and Travel Grants Available by Abstract Category and Community (PDF) associated with this travel grant. If your abstract is not accepted in a CVSA-sponsored category, you are not eligible to apply for this specific grant.
- Applicant must be active in research and still be in training as an undergraduate or pre-doctoral student, or a fellow who has completed training only within the last four years; or be a Ph.D./M.D. in the first four years after faculty appointment.
- Applicants may apply for a travel grant multiple times with different abstracts, as long as the applicant is the presenting author on each abstract. However, an applicant is eligible to receive only one travel grant, even if multiple abstracts are accepted to Scientific Sessions.
- Winners are not eligible to re-enter the competition in subsequent years.
- The applicant must be able to present the abstract at the AHA Scientific Sessions, either in an oral abstract session or a poster session. If the applicant is unable to present the abstract, he/she will be disqualified from the grant.
- There are no citizenship requirements.
Application will be judged based on the scientific ranking of the candidate’s abstract and how it ranks against other applicants. Abstract presenters for Scientific Sessions will be notified in mid-August. Applicants for this grant may submit their applications before presenter notifications are received. However, only those who have abstracts accepted for presentation will ultimately be eligible to receive a travel grant.
How to Apply/Required Documents
Electronic submission through the Council Awards Application System is required by Aug. 20, 2019. Hard copies of any part of the application cannot be accepted.
**Candidates may apply for more than one travel grant; however, an applicant is eligible to receive only one travel grant.
Your application file should contain the following documents in PDF format:
- Curriculum vitae, including bibliography.
- A copy of the unpublished abstract that has been submitted for presentation to Scientific Sessions in accordance with AHA rules and regulations for submitting abstracts to Scientific Sessions. The candidate should be the first and presenting author on the abstract. Note your abstract control number received after submission to Scientific Sessions as it will be needed on your award application form.
- Candidate's personal statement (no longer than one page, double-spaced), outlining the following:
- Your research interests and long term career goals
- How receipt of the CVSA Abstract Travel Grant will enhance future long-term goals
- Original reference letter, preferably on electronic letterhead, signed by the candidate’s supervisor or an appropriate institutional officer which includes the following:
- Confirmation of the applicant as a student, postdoctoral fellow, or faculty within four years of appointment
- Candidate’s key accomplishments to date (or other forms of demonstrated excellence and recognition in the case of very junior trainees)
- Assessment of relevant scientific attributes (intellectual curiosity, drive, critical thinking, problem-solving)
- Potential for future success as a competitive investigator
Visit the Council Awards & Fellowships Application System to complete an application.
A username and password set up through online registration at Professional Heart Daily will be necessary to access the Application System. If you have not created an online profile yet, you may register as you enter the Application System by clicking "Sign Up" next to the Log In button on the sign-in page. AHA Professional Members who are creating an online profile for the first time should make sure to register using their AHA membership identification numbers.
AHA Professional Membership is required of all applicants for this award. If you are joining the AHA to apply, please wait on your AHA membership number to arrive from AHA Member Services via e-mail before creating an online profile and starting your application file. We suggest that new members join the AHA no later than Aug 8 for the membership number to be processed and delivered in time for the application deadline. The membership number will be required on the award application form.
The winners will each receive a $1,000 travel grant for use in attending Scientific Sessions. Up to 10 grants from the pool of eligible applicants may be presented. Winners will also receive a complimentary ticket to attend the CVSA Annual Business Meeting at Scientific Sessions.
- For rules and regulations for submitting abstracts to the Scientific Sessions, visit Abstract Submission Guidelines (PDF)
- Submit your application at Council Awards System
- Join or renew AHA/ASA Professional Membership