Sponsored by the Council on Cardiovascular Radiology and Intervention
Award Application Window: April 15–August 16, 2020 at 6 p.m. (Central Time)
The Council on Cardiovascular Radiology & Intervention (CVRI) Early Career Investigator Travel Grants encourage and support the efforts of outstanding early career investigators and encourage young investigators, women and under-represented minorities to participate in council and AHA activities. These grants annually provide funding to the AHA’s Scientific Sessions to early career investigators whose research has been accepted for presentation in an oral abstract or poster session.
- All applicants for travel grants must be members of the AHA/ASA at any level. If you need to become an AHA/ASA Professional Member, you should do so no later than July 30th due to the time needed to process the membership number required on your award application form. Learn more about AHA membership
- Applicant must be active in cardiovascular radiology and/or intervention research and still be in training as an undergraduate or pre-doctoral student; a fellow who has completed training only within the last four years; or be a PhD/MD in the first four years after the first faculty appointment.
- Abstract must be submitted to one of the categories for presentation at Scientific Sessions in which the Council on Cardiovascular Radiology and Intervention is the lead/primary sponsor. Make sure that your abstract has been submitted in a category listed under the award for which you want to apply. View a list of Scientific Sessions Council Awards and Travel Grants Available by Abstract Category and Community (PDF).
- Abstract must be accepted for oral or poster presentation at the AHA Scientific Sessions and the applicant must be the first and presenting author.
- Applicants may apply for a travel grant multiple times with different abstracts as long as the applicant is the presenting author on each abstract. However, an applicant is eligible to receive only one travel grant, even if multiple abstracts are accepted to Scientific Sessions.
- Each applicant for AHA council-sponsored awards, regardless of award category, is eligible to receive only one council-sponsored award per AHA conference per year. (For example, an Early Career Investigator Award finalist will not be eligible to receive a travel grant for the same meeting.)
- Winners are not eligible to re-enter the competition in subsequent years.
- Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Candidates will be judged based on the scientific ranking (score) of the candidate's abstract.
How to Apply/Required Documents
Electronic submission through the Council Awards Application System is required. Hard copies of any part of the application cannot be accepted.
Your application file should contain the following documents in PDF format:
- Previously unpublished abstract in accordance with AHA rules and regulations for submitting abstracts to Scientific Sessions. The abstract should first be submitted to Scientific Sessions before applying for this award as the abstract control number will be needed for the award application form.
- Original letter on electronic letterhead, signed by the candidate’s supervisor or an appropriate institutional officer, simply indicating the applicant’s status as a student, postdoctoral fellow, or faculty within four years of appointment. No additional reference statements are required.
Visit the Council Awards & Fellowships Application System to complete an application.
A username and password previously set up through online profile registration at Professional Heart Daily will be necessary to access the Application System. If you have not created an online profile yet, please visit Professional Heart Daily to create an online member profile before accessing the Council Awards Application System. AHA Professional Members who are creating an online profile for the first time should make sure to register using their AHA membership identification numbers.
AHA Professional Membership is required of all applicants for this award. If you are joining the AHA to apply, please wait on your AHA membership number to arrive from AHA Member Services via e-mail before creating an online profile and starting your application file. We suggest that new members join the AHA no later than July 30th for the membership number to be processed and delivered in time for the application deadline.
Up to five grants from the pool of eligible applicants will be presented.
Winners will each receive a trave grant up to $500 for use in attending Scientific Sessions. (Winners will provide travel expense receipts to AHA for reimbursement up to $500.) Eligible reimbursable expenses include hotel, ground transportation, and airfare to attend Scientific Sessions. Conference registration and meals are not covered.
- For rules and regulations for submitting abstracts to the Scientific Sessions, visit Abstract Submission Guidelines (PDF)
- Submit your application at Council Awards System
- Join or renew AHA/ASA Professional Membership