To qualify for this Scientific Sessions 2022 award you must meet the following deadlines:
- August 19, 2022 – Deadline to have an active AHA membership with this Council.
- August 24, 2022, 6 p.m. Central Time – Deadline to apply for this award in the Council Awards System.
For awards requiring abstract submission, the deadline to submit your science to Scientific Sessions 2022 is June 9, 2022, 6 p.m. Central Time.
One of the main objectives of the Council on Basic Cardiovascular Sciences (BCVS) is to support trainees and early career investigators. The Basic Cardiovascular Abstract Travel Grant recognizes meritorious work by early career investigators and provides a travel grant to attend the AHA’s Scientific Sessions to those whose abstracts place in the top 20 percent of their category.
- All applicants for the BCVS Abstract Travel Grant must be members of the Basic Cardiovascular Sciences Council at the time of application. If you need to become an AHA Professional Member, you should do so no later than one week prior to the application submission deadline. Learn more about AHA Professional Membership.
- Applicants must submit an abstract in accordance with the rules and regulations for submitting abstracts to the AHA Scientific Sessions to one of the categories primarily sponsored by the Council on Basic Cardiovascular Sciences. Please view a list of Scientific Sessions Council Awards and Travel Grants Available by Abstract Category and Community (PDF) associated with this travel grant. You will need your abstract control number to apply for the grant.
- Applicant must be active in research and still be in training as an undergraduate or pre-doctoral student, or be within 10 years of completing medical fellowship (or residency as NIH states, MDs would be Fellows for 3-6 years of the 7-10), terminal degree or highest certificate (e.g. BSc, MSc).
- Your abstract must be accepted in a BCVS-sponsored category as either an oral or poster presentation to be eligible to apply for this specific grant. Abstract presenters will be notified in August.
- The abstract must be accepted to Scientific Sessions and receive a grade that places it in the top 20 percent of the abstracts in its category.
- The presenting author of an accepted abstract must be registered for Scientific Sessions and must be able to present the abstract at the Scientific Sessions, either in an oral abstract session or a poster session. If the applicant is unable to present the abstract, he/she will be disqualified from the grant.
- Applicants must be Early Career Investigators or trainees. Trainees are students or PhDs and/or MDs who are in a residency or fellowship position. Early Career Investigators are PhDs and/or MDs who have completed training within the last four years or PhDs and/or MDs who are still within in the first four years after their first faculty appointment, as of the award application date.
- Winners are not eligible to re-enter the competition in subsequent years.
- Only one candidate per mentor will be given a grant.
- The applicant must be able to present the abstract at the AHA Scientific Sessions, either in an oral abstract session or a poster session. If the applicant is unable to present the abstract, he/she will be disqualified from the grant.
- Applicants must provide documentation of current status as a student, postdoctoral fellow, or faculty within five years of their appointment (faculty members with more than five years of faculty appointment or non-trainee investigators in industry are ineligible). Such documentation must be an original letter, signed by the candidate’s supervisor or an appropriate institutional officer. The letter must indicate the applicant’s status as a student, postdoctoral fellow, or faculty within five years of their appointment.
- Applicants may apply for a travel grant multiple times with different abstracts, as long as the applicant is the presenting author on each abstract. However, an applicant is eligible to receive only one travel grant, even if multiple abstracts are accepted to Scientific Sessions.
- There are no citizenship requirements.
Application will be judged based on the scientific ranking of the candidate’s abstract and how it ranks against other applicants. Abstract presenters for Scientific Sessions will be notified in mid-August. Applicants for this grant may submit their applications before presenter notifications are received. However, only those who have abstracts accepted for presentation will ultimately be eligible to receive a travel grant.
How to Apply/Required Documents
Electronic submission through the Council Awards Application System is required. Hard copies of any part of the application cannot be accepted.
**Candidates may apply for more than one travel award; however, an applicant is eligible to receive only one travel stipend.
Your application file should contain the following documents in PDF format:
- Previously unpublished abstract in accordance with AHA rules and regulations for submitting abstracts to Scientific Sessions. The abstract should first be submitted to Scientific Sessions at Scientific Sessions before applying for this award as your abstract control number will be needed for the application form.
- Original letter on electronic letterhead, signed by the candidate’s supervisor or an appropriate institutional officer, simply indicating the applicant’s status as a student, postdoctoral fellow, or faculty within five years of appointment. No additional references are required.
Visit the Council Awards & Fellowships Application System to complete an application.
A username and password previously set up through online profile registration at Professional Heart Daily will be necessary to access the Application System. If you have not created an online profile yet, please visit Professional Heart Daily to create an online member profile before accessing the Council Awards Application System. AHA Professional Members who are creating an online profile for the first time should make sure to register using their AHA membership identification numbers.
AHA Professional Membership is required of all applicants for this award. If you are joining the AHA to apply, please wait on your AHA membership number to arrive from AHA Member Services via e-mail before creating an online profile and starting your application file. We suggest that new members join the AHA as soon as possible for the membership number to be processed and delivered in time for the application deadline.
The grants consist of $350 to help defray travel expenses to AHA Scientific Sessions, a one-year Student/Trainee or Early Career Investigator membership in the AHA, and a one-year online subscription to the official journal of the council, Circulation Research.